Reporter and cameraman shot dead in Virginia during live broadcast

j*oono
Community Member
Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Reporter and cameraman shot dead in Virginia during live broadcast

Not really. The founding fathers drafted their ideals based on a war for independence from England. It was a time of war, and a time when every man needed a gun in order to survive. Todays Americans don't need it.

Hence my statement that they didn't understand the problems they created.

If modern firearms were limited to single-shot muzzleloaders, I would accept your premise. After all, that's what King George's troops carried.  One of the problems is that the 2nd has been distorted so much.  We do not have a "well regulated" militia in the United States, one that  musters on the common every Sunday after church for drill.  Then there's the "shall not be infringed"......that give individuals free reign to wander around town armed to the teeth. 

Our forefathers didn't go shopping with a tower pistol in their belt and a rifle on their shoulder.  Western towns accepted rules of conduct that prohibited firearms within city limits, enforced by lawmen who didn't have to toe the "political" line.

These days, even background checks draw the wrath of gun owners, who deem it a violation of their "rights". Oregon's new governor recently signed a bill that required gun owners who sold their weapons to private parties, or even gave them away to relatives ensure that the recipient passes a background check.  This bill has been so watered down, that it is useless.

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

I don't think it odd at all that the number of gun owners in America is decreasing.

You mis-interpreted my statement.......the oddity is that while fewer Americans are becoming gun owners, the number of guns is increasing.

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

Not really. The founding fathers drafted their ideals based on a war for independence from England. It was a time of war, and a time when every man needed a gun in order to survive. Todays Americans don't need it.

Hence my statement that they didn't understand the problems they created.

If modern firearms were limited to single-shot muzzleloaders, I would accept your premise. After all, that's what King George's troops carried.  One of the problems is that the 2nd has been distorted so much.  We do not have a "well regulated" militia in the United States, one that  musters on the common every Sunday after church for drill.  Then there's the "shall not be infringed"......that give individuals free reign to wander around town armed to the teeth. 

Our forefathers didn't go shopping with a tower pistol in their belt and a rifle on their shoulder.  Western towns accepted rules of conduct that prohibited firearms within city limits, enforced by lawmen who didn't have to toe the "political" line.

These days, even background checks draw the wrath of gun owners, who deem it a violation of their "rights". Oregon's new governor recently signed a bill that required gun owners who sold their weapons to private parties, or even gave them away to relatives ensure that the recipient passes a background check.  This bill has been so watered down, that it is useless.

I guess it's just easier for everyone to blame the founding fathers, who had no knowledge of what was to come, than actually making a change for the better, for the country. I think the whole "you can't tell us what to do" thing,not just American, but more tech savvy thing, has kind of been addressed by the AM hackers. Someone can always make you face reality, regardless of motives. And without a gun.

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

Well, if we didn't have the 2nd Amendment, an item promulgated by the founding fathers, it would have been much easier to institute reasonable restrictions on gun ownership..........As it is, I'm afraid it is too late to do so, barring some sort of horrendous calamity that occurs.

Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

Well, if we didn't have the 2nd Amendment, an item promulgated by the founding fathers, it would have been much easier to institute reasonable restrictions on gun ownership..........As it is, I'm afraid it is too late to do so, barring some sort of horrendous calamity that occurs.

The calamities keep on happening.

They made decisions based on the times they lived in, they had to. Accepting those decisions as gospel now is a poor excuse at being one of the human race.

We do not need to arm ourselves now. Food is bought at supermarkets, "savages" aren't going to raid for your land.

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

joa_ell
Community Member

iapetus_rocks . . .

Americans will no doubt decry such an act while still fiercely defending their 2nd amendment rights. How much more fierce an argument does one need to encourage a revisit of the 2nd amendment and consider amending it? I've argued this many times before with our American friends and the only thing I can say to them is, When you get so heartily sick and tired of all the deaths and injuries which your 2nd amendment freedoms confer on you, then maybe you'll think again. it's not as if America is any stranger to the concept of limitations of the freedoms of its citizens, is it?

You mean repeal it?, It's already an amendment in the bill of rights. I agree though, it would be better to repeal it, than to continue on violating it. Then at least those would know where they stand without having to guess what is allowed and what is not.

The 2nd amendment protects the rights of people who want to own guns but it denies the rights of citizens who want to live in a society where they are not threatened by death at the hands of freedom-loving gun-crazy loonies.

So, people have the right to have no rights?, and freedom is bad. We should like, want to get rid of that.

j*oono

When is enough enough? There has to be a change in gun laws, surely? You can't expect that the right to bear arms is going to protect you in these kind of situations. It's just so wrong.

Your right, American's rights stopped protecting them, oh, say, around a hundred years ago give or take. Well, it's on paper, but any given athority only just violates them in the real world. Far as laws go, America has them, countless laws that fly in the face of not only the 2ed, but the 4th, and in some cases, the 1st amendments. New York, and Califorina, other states, cities,.

The reason I think it's so hard to get the same gun control in America as a whole rests in the states, 50 of them by last count. Even if they did get all the states on board, and repeal the 2ed amendment, They would need all the available police agencies, and military to conduct mass confiscation. Otherwise, your gonna have people scrambling to get rid of their guns, and selling them to anyone to try and recover some of their investment. I seriouslly doubt any buy back program is going to pay anything close to what the guns actually cost those who purchased them.

It's doable, Today, they can track down just about anyone they suspect of having them. However if they didn't do so quickly, They may find many they suspect of having guns, no longer do, and those who couldn't get them before, will have them.

But anything other than a full repeal of the 2ed, would just be more laws contridicting eachother. Many say that any law created that goes against the bill of rights is void by default.

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

Soon it will be

May I have a coffee, a muffin, some bullets and a gun please.

Oh and no fries with that.

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.
Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

Dont you just love it how mainstream articles never have to provide sources...

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/virginia-shooting-ex-employee-vester-lee-flanagan-accused...

In his rambling manifesto, he said the alleged shooting was a reaction to the racism of the Charleston church shooting.

“Why did I do it? I put down a deposit for a gun on 6/19/15. The Church shooting in Charleston happened on 6/17/15 …” he wrote.

“What sent me over the top was the church shooting. And my hollow point bullets have the victims’ initials on them. ...

“As for Dylann Roof? You (deleted)! You want a race war (deleted)? BRING IT THEN YOU WHITE …(deleted)!!!”

Flanagan also quoted the Virginia Tech mass killer, Seung Hui Cho, and expressed admiration for the Columbine High School killers.

“Also, I was influenced by Seung Hui Cho. That’s my boy right there. He got NEARLY double the amount that Eric Harris and Dylann Klebold got … just sayin’.”

He continued: “The church shooting was the tipping point … but my anger has been building steadily ... I’ve been a human powder keg for a while … just waiting to go BOOM!!!!”

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

I think they picked that story up from the Newsweek site in the US.  It was on the Windows10 news app this morning but it has gone now that news.com has picked it up.

Joono
Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

baybizz
Community Member

>> If you live in America, you are 4 times more likely to be murdered than if you live in Britain, almost 6 times more likely than in Germany, and 13 times more likely than in Japan...

>> 66% of all murders in America involve guns - in Britain the figure is under 10%...

>> There is not a flicker of consensus in America about what to do about this grisly harvest that last year gathered in 9,000 lives...

http://www.economist.com/node/21559617

www.gunpolicy.org/compare/rate_of_gun_homicide/10,31,192,91

~

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply