Should we withdraw aid from Indonesia?

Apparently we've withdrawn our ambassador, should we also withdraw aid?

My husband says we should redirect the money to try and curb our growing ice epidemic in Australia...good point I suppose.

I dont think the execution of prisoners is a reason to withdraw aid, but I think there needs to be a good long look at where the aid is going to due to the high levels of corruption in the country. Is the aid actually reaching those that need it? If so, then we probably shouldnt withdraw it. But if its just lining the pockets of corrupt politicians, then we probably should.

I'm guessing there will at least be a hefty reduction in aid in the next budget anyway.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 1 of 58
Latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: Should we withdraw aid from Indonesia?

@icyfroth wrote:

What sort of aid do you mean?

Humanitarian Aid in case of Natural Catastrophe? No.

Aid for developing their infrastructure? Probably could review that.

Aid for helping their military programs? Yes we should cut that back.

What will they do in retaliation though?

The Aid Australia provides for Indonesia, set amount per year, can change every year. Does the Aust Govt aid include funds for Indo's military training?

We focus on strengthening institutions and infrastructure to ensure Indonesia provides an environment receptive to trade and investment, while also developing its human capital, particularly women and girls.

Yes, there possibly would be retaliations - no co-operation with 'stopping the boats',  , no imports from Australia ($2.+ bn p.a.).

A near neighbour with a pop of 250m (approx) which could become an 'enemy'.

Message 21 of 58
Latest reply

@debra9275 wrote:

Am I would hope that the funding is going where it's meant to be going.  I wonder if w'ere paying Indonesia for an asylum seeker deal as well?

I haven't been to Indonesia for  very many years but it sounds like nothing has improved for the poor at all since i was there

If global non-govt organisations like World Vision, get a large part of the funding, then less likely the Indonesians would be able to get their hands on the funds and divert it from where it should be  going to?

When foreign aid is  going to things like  school/education and  fresh water projests.. I guess those are things that can be 'seen' and progress checked on.

Indonesia gets a lot of foreign aid from other countries also.

Message 22 of 58
Latest reply

WHAT'S IN AUSTRALIA'S DIPLOMACY RETALIATION TOOL KIT:

DONE

* Ambassador recalled

* Suspension of ministerial contact

WATCH THIS SPACE BUDGET DAY MAY 12

* Cut to the $650 million of aid Australia gives Indonesia a year

POSSIBLE BUT GOES AGAINST STRATEGIC INTERESTS

* Reduced co-operation in certain areas such as law enforcement, defence and security.

* Cancelling annual leaders talks

VERY UNLIKELY

* Trade sanctions

* Ending diplomatic ties completely

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/04/29/13/06/types-of-diplomatic-retaliation#Q2vc1gTuHUJ6SCAt.9...
 photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 23 of 58
Latest reply

#givethemnothing

Message 24 of 58
Latest reply

Give the money to Nepal in stead, but send Aussies over to build houses for them.

Message 25 of 58
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Nothing much will happen IMO.

The more things change  -  the more things stay the same

Barlow and Chambers Hanged 1986- Malaysia

The executions caused public outcry and strained political relations between Australia and Malaysia at the time

Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke made a passionate plea for a stay of execution on behalf of the two men.

Hawke later described the hanging as "barbaric", a remark which chilled Australian relations with Malaysia. Relations between the two nations were reportedly affected for a decade afterwards. In response to the argument that no one has the right to take another's life, then-Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad replied, "You should tell that to the drug traffickers."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barlow_and_Chambers_execution

Anyone remember the outcry over that one?

Wasn't much of an outcry in those early days for drug runners

Message 26 of 58
Latest reply

Should we withdraw aid from Indonesia?

All foreign aid (institutionalised) foreign aid should cease. It should be replaced by emergency aid like that flowing to Nepal at the moment. Foreign aid has created a cargo cult mentality. We gave a large amount of money to Indonesia and the Indonesian government then purchased planes from Russia. Essentialy we helped purchase the planes.

Indonesia has signed a $470 million contract with Russia to buy six Sukhoi Su-30MK2 jet fighters for the Indonesian Air Force, The Jakarta Post daily has reported.

The deal was confirmed by Russian defense-industry and diplomatic sources, but the Sukhoi aircraft maker and arms exporter Rosoboronexport declined to comment.

Deliveries will start after 2013.

http://sputniknews.com/military/20120110/170692527.html

Is Aid Killing Africa?

Broadcast: 17/03/2009

Reporter: Philip Williams

Dambisa Moyo is a Zambian-born economist who says aid is killing Africa.

In her new book, Dead Aid, she argues that official aid is easy money that fosters corruption and distorts economies, creating a culture of dependency and economic laziness.

http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2009/s2520029.htm

Foreign aid merely creates mendicant countries.

Message 27 of 58
Latest reply

Stawka, social media and networking was very different in those days.  No Twitter or facebook.  The most outcry would have been a letter to a newspaper editorial.

I don't know why the death penalty brigade here are getting their knickers in a knot.  Of course there would be a lot of discussion about it in the lead up and today/this week. 

It's not going to last for much longer to spoil their little world.  Let people share their dismay.

Joono
Message 28 of 58
Latest reply

Why all the outcry about the laws of a country that we have no juristriction over? Why should another country change their laws, just because we don't like it or don't agree with?

What about those that want to change our laws and customs? What right do we have to dictate to another country how to manage their affairs and what laws they should or should not have?

Indonesia is not the only country full of corruptions and bad regulations.

Just because todays media is fast and available world wide, and sensationalism makes money, the media will fuel the outrage bus, forgetting that there are potholes in our roads of righteousness.

Erica

Message 29 of 58
Latest reply

Capital punishment is legal in most of the American States. Let's boycott everything American including their food and TV shows etc etc. 

Let's see who is really outraged. 

Message 30 of 58
Latest reply