Should we withdraw aid from Indonesia?

Apparently we've withdrawn our ambassador, should we also withdraw aid?

My husband says we should redirect the money to try and curb our growing ice epidemic in Australia...good point I suppose.

I dont think the execution of prisoners is a reason to withdraw aid, but I think there needs to be a good long look at where the aid is going to due to the high levels of corruption in the country. Is the aid actually reaching those that need it? If so, then we probably shouldnt withdraw it. But if its just lining the pockets of corrupt politicians, then we probably should.

I'm guessing there will at least be a hefty reduction in aid in the next budget anyway.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 1 of 58
Latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

I imagine if they withdraw aid given directly to the government they would do something like that. Cant really see them pulling the pin altogether.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 11 of 58
Latest reply

If money is withdrawn or cut from Foreign Aid budget the amount wouldn't be directed to another dept. Foreign Affairs Dept doesn't give donations to charities...how would they choose some over the others? The ones that didn't get any funding wouldn't be happy.

One of the main use of the Aid to Indonesia is used to help educate females so they can have a better future.. A good thing.
Message 12 of 58
Latest reply

They do give to NGO's

Australian Govt Aid assistance:
Direct to developing country governments.
Through international organisations such as the World Bank or World Health Organisation.
Through Non-Government Organisations (NGOs) like World Vision.
Message 13 of 58
Latest reply

i don't care that they shoot two drug smugglers.

the aid should be withdrawn anyway. look at the money they spend on their military. and they need aid?

do we give china aid?

Message 14 of 58
Latest reply

The current Govt has already made big cuts to the foreign aid budget. They now intend to focus more on the Indo-pacific region - our near neighbours. Julie Bishop has said there will be no more cuts in the next Budget..

Has the PM or Minister of Foreign Affairs indicated they might cut/reduce aid to Indonesia?
Message 15 of 58
Latest reply

ladydeburg
Community Member

We should withdraw aid immediatley. Why are we giving aid to a member of the G20 anyway. They  they are corrupt and they brutalise their own people and lets not forget West Papua,  East Timor, the Bali bombers, some who have walked free.

The G20 membership comprises a mix of the world’s largest advanced and emerging economies, representing about two-thirds of the world’s population, 85 per cent of global gross domestic product and over 75 per cent of global trade.

The members of the G20 are Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States and the European Union.

Message 16 of 58
Latest reply

The aid goes mainly to schools and keep children from schools run by radicals. 

The thing is that Indonesia does not need us, but we need them.  There was  249.9 million people there in 2013.

They do not give damn about us, the executions were carried out because Joko Widodo would lose face if he did not. 

Most of Indonesians supported the death penalty, did not care or did not know about the Bali 9, or the others that were executed.  I do not think there was a wide coverage of this saga in Indonesia.  Just as there is not a wide coverage about such matters here, or many other countries.  Who has heard  of Chika Honda?

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 17 of 58
Latest reply

@ladydeburg wrote:

We should withdraw aid immediatley. Why are we giving aid to a member of the G20 anyway. They  they are corrupt and they brutalise their own people and lets not forget West Papua,  East Timor, the Bali bombers, some who have walked free.

The G20 membership comprises a mix of the world’s largest advanced and emerging economies, representing about two-thirds of the world’s population, 85 per cent of global gross domestic product and over 75 per cent of global trade.

The members of the G20 are Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States and the European Union.

Why not do some reading from reliable sources? Instead of making knee-jerk, uninformed comments.

We focus on strengthening institutions and infrastructure to ensure Indonesia provides an environment receptive to trade and investment, while also developing its human capital, particularly women and girls.

Indonesia is one of Australia’s closest neighbours and faces increasingly complex development challenges. Like other developing countries, Indonesia has had recent success achieving economic growth but is still afflicted by poverty.

More than 105 million Indonesians live on less than US$2 per day. Indonesia remains vulnerable to shocks, like a natural disaster or an economic downturn, that could have devastating effects.

An Indonesian woman is 30 times more likely to die in childbirth than an Australian woman and one in three children under the age of five suffer from stunting, caused by malnutrition.

About 120 million Indonesians do not have access to safe drinking water while about 110 million do not have adequate sanitation.

Support the current Govt, support their policies.

More info in the link

http://dfat.gov.au/geo/indonesia/development-assistance/pages/development-assistance-in-indonesia.as...

Message 18 of 58
Latest reply

What sort of aid do you mean?

Humanitarian Aid in case of Natural Catastrophe? No.

Aid for developing their infrastructure? Probably could review that.

Aid for helping their military programs? Yes we should cut that back.

What will they do in retaliation though?

Message 19 of 58
Latest reply

Am I would hope that the funding is going where it's meant to be going.  I wonder if w'ere paying Indonesia for an asylum seeker deal as well?

I haven't been to Indonesia for  very many years but it sounds like nothing has improved for the poor at all since i was there

Indonesia is one of Australia’s closest neighbours and faces increasingly complex development challenges. Like other developing countries, Indonesia has had recent success achieving economic growth but is still afflicted by poverty.

More than 105 million Indonesians live on less than US$2 per day. Indonesia remains vulnerable to shocks, like a natural disaster or an economic downturn, that could have devastating effects.

An Indonesian woman is 30 times more likely to die in childbirth than an Australian woman and one in three children under the age of five suffer from stunting, caused by malnutrition.

About 120 million Indonesians do not have access to safe drinking water while about 110 million do not have adequate sanitation

Message 20 of 58
Latest reply