Sugar free icy poles?

Does anyone know of a commerically made brand of sugar free icy poles in Australia?

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Sugar free icy poles?

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

And pure apple juice has 24 grams of sugar.............

Is that per glass, litre or 44 gallon drum?

Message 21 of 39
Latest reply

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:

@gleee58 wrote:

what about make your own apple juice icy poles.

bought apple juice is loaded with sugar just as bad s coke. If you juice your apples then yes

Bought apple juice (from the cold chiller) doesn't have added sugar.

Apple juice, juiced at home is still full off sugar (natural).

So home juiced or 'pure' juice from the supermarket - same amount of 'natural' sugar. Which is claimed to be around the same amount of sugar in a  glass of soft drink/fizzy.

Fruit has vitamins etc in it though, unlike Coke etc.

Message 22 of 39
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:

@gleee58 wrote:

what about make your own apple juice icy poles.

bought apple juice is loaded with sugar just as bad s coke. If you juice your apples then yes

Bought apple juice (from the cold chiller) doesn't have added sugar.

Apple juice, juiced at home is still full off sugar (natural).

So home juiced or 'pure' juice from the supermarket - same amount of 'natural' sugar.

Apples have been studied and proved to be good for diabetes, as long as the pectin hasn't been removed.  There are good apple juices in the market that are not made from concentrate and have not had their goodness removed. Usually they are of a cloudy appearance.

I just thought that they would freeze well in the plastic ice block bags and make a good easy, small, thirst quenching, healthy snack.

Message 23 of 39
Latest reply

@gleee58 wrote:

Pure apple juice is still a healthy option because it is apples juiced up, nothing more or less.  Frozen into small ice blocks it is a healthy choice.

Not if you are trying to cut down on suger.   Orange juice is not recommended either.

Best practice is to eat the fruit to get fibre rather than juice it.

Message 24 of 39
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@gleee58 wrote:

Pure apple juice is still a healthy option because it is apples juiced up, nothing more or less.  Frozen into small ice blocks it is a healthy choice.

Not if you are trying to cut down on suger.   Orange juice is not recommended either.

Best practice is to eat the fruit to get fibre rather than juice it.

Research has shown good apple juice to be a healthy option and good for diabetes.  Yes, the real thing is better but the posters asked about icy poles.  Apple sugar is not "bad" sugar.   

Message 25 of 39
Latest reply

jet.67
Community Member

Woolworths has some. 

The No Nasties Sugar Free-zies All Natural Icy Stix

I haven't tried them but they are the only ones. Or you can get them made out of fruit juice, natural sugars. 🙂

Message 26 of 39
Latest reply

@happyroo_bunji wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

It is not too bad if it is your choice to cut down on sugar....a bit of a lapse is not too disastrous.

It is more difficult when it is forced upon you.....diabetes is a bugger that way.  You find something that ticks all the boxes diet wise and when you get it home it tastes horrible.

Just be aware that some of the artificial sweeteners can cause diarrhea if you eat too much of it.

Good points.  I'm cutting down on sugar, so I'm not forced into by developing diabetes.  Will have a treat once in a while.  Diet Coke and Coke Zero and all of the Pepsi variants leave a horrid metallic taste in my mouth.

As for the diarrhea..... yes I found out the hard was once when I consumed to much chewing gum Smiley Surprised

Sorbitol is the artificial sweetener mostly responsible for diarrhea.  Deadly stuff.  I can't tolerate it.  I didn't realise how common that is until I watched a repeat of the old medical TV drama House (the one starring Hugh Laurie) where House mentioned in passing to a patient that hospitals used Sorbitol based medication on patients suffering from constipation!

Aspartame - the jury is still out on whether it causes side effects, but I've found that as a sweetner sometimes it just doesn't work too well.  Some food that uses Aspartame can taste pretty awful.

Message 27 of 39
Latest reply

marwi_3023
Community Member
I'm unable to consume anything with these non sugar sweeteners.
They all give me a stomach ache.
I'm diabetic so just avoid sugar as much as possible
Message 28 of 39
Latest reply

I read aspartame and saccharine have been linked to cancer.

Phenylalanine has been used as an anti-depressant. (touted as a feel good sweetener)

Stevia is the new natural sweetener but probably not enough long term data on it yet.

I try to avoid all so if I have an occasional treat, no biggie.

image host
Message 29 of 39
Latest reply

marwi_3023
Community Member
Stevia has an adverse affect on the bacteria in your gut.
Best thing is to reduce your intake of sugar.
I've lost twenty six kilograms and kept it off and am still a diet controlled diabetic for eight years by being sensible with sugar.
I haven't eliminated it completely but have sugar free days for most of the week and only have a small amount when I do
Message 30 of 39
Latest reply