Tim Mathieson....blunder or not?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/15975324/pms-partner-jokes-about-prostate-exams/

Prime Minister Julia Gillard's partner, Tim Mathieson, has made a joke about Asian women and prostate examinations during a speech at The Lodge.

The remark was made during a reception in honour of the Prime Minister's XI cricket match.

Mr Mathieson is a men's health ambassador and was encouraging the crowd to get prostate checks.

He then suggested men should look for a small, female, Asian doctor to perform the examination.

"We can get a blood test for it, but the digital examination is the only true way to get a correct reading on your prostate, so make sure you go and do that, and perhaps look for a small, Asian, female doctor is probably the best way," he said.

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: Tim Mathieson....blunder or not?

well again with the sexist crap , you realy are obsessed with trying to make out im sexist arnt you, i actual deal with 1 female labour member & 1 female labour candidate here, both are very nice & i get on well with both so there go's your theory , maybe if you took off your blinkers you might actuall look beyound what you see on the surface of our PM , look at he body laungage & and very much look at the things she deos in her own name

Where is the sexist crap?

Who has the blindfold on?

I wrote about programs that have started for the good of the country.

Maybe if you took off your blinkers you would understand why some of us women are talking about the gender issue lately.

I have looked at her. I have viewed a number of forums and other online live events that she has presented or been involved in. What she did today was stand out there and offer a level of certainty that deserves admiration and respect.

Message 51 of 54
Latest reply

well I spoke with a man that had the tests done not that long ago and he was told that they now use blood tests and ultrasound as a finger can do damage..... 

Timmy's joke was a mix of bad timing and ill informed..... if Abbott said this he would be crucified...  there is double standard... 

I've seen 2 doctors say a combination is preferable. One said a long finger is better.

Message 52 of 54
Latest reply

Timmy's joke was a mix of bad timing and ill informed..... if Abbott said this he would be crucified...  there is double standard... 

Abbott is the opposition leader though, in comparison?   and no double standard imo, it has been in the media enough......and apologised for... and addressed by Ms Gillard.

Message 53 of 54
Latest reply

Abbott is the opposition leader though, in comparison?   and no double standard imo, it has been in the media enough......and apologised for... and addressed by Ms Gillard.

I think the difference is in the context also. TM was talking about, encouraging men to think about and get checked out for early signs of cancer. Humour is appropriate, even if he got it wrong.

Message 54 of 54
Latest reply