Transparent recycling bins?

Transparent recycling bins would make residents 'face their waste', former Greens senator says

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-20/transparent-recycling-bins-proposed-for-adelaide-council-area...

if it comes here i'll just paint my bin

Message 1 of 58
Latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: Transparent recycling bins?

I think how much rubbish or recyclables are generated depends a lot on the number of people living in a place. The bigger the family, the more there will  usually to be put in the bins.

I have a friend who often tells me how little she has in her recycle bin but she gathers a lot of her stuff and pops it into the bins at Coles, so one way or another, she is still generating much the same amount of waste.

I agree with chameleon, we could be doing it all a lot better.

Message 21 of 58
Latest reply

really it needs to be tackled at the scource, there is way too much waste created at the factory. packaging that we are told you cant put in your recycle bin.

so use something that can be recycled.

and come on, plastic bags? the excuse is they stuff up the sorting machines, well make machines better.

we put a man on the moon in 1969 for goodness sakes, we cant build a machine that doesnt stop working because it meets a plastic bag?

Message 22 of 58
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I think how much rubbish or recyclables are generated depends a lot on the number of people living in a place. The bigger the family, the more there will  usually to be put in the bins.

I have a friend who often tells me how little she has in her recycle bin but she gathers a lot of her stuff and pops it into the bins at Coles, so one way or another, she is still generating much the same amount of waste.

Some could, some are doing very well   ..... including me    ..... so dont include me in your "we"

Message 23 of 58
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I would question how much from our bins is even recycled, david.

If they were serious about recycling, I would have thought you'd have one container for paper/cardboard and another for jars or whatever.

I live in a narrow laneway, and our rubbish is collected by the smaller more manoeuvrable truck which does all the odds and sods places, like lanes, cul de sacs, carparks, schools, parks, playgrounds, sports grounds, etc.

Which means it only has time to do one circuit each day.

So all 3 bins - rubbish, recyclables, green waste - are dumped in together, then go into general landfill.

Message 24 of 58
Latest reply

When I saw the clear bins on the TV I wondered if any residents might not be keen to show their neighbours how much alcohol they consume...and might dump the glass bottles and beer cans in the general waste. LOL

Message 25 of 58
Latest reply

Well - it looks like I'll have to up my spending habits.

From here on in - designer only.

I refuse to be embarrassed by ' cheap ' rubbish. Robot Frustrated

Message 26 of 58
Latest reply

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

Some could, some are doing very well   ..... including me    ..... so dont include me in your "we"

When I said we, I was meaning society as a whole-the way the government organises things. I was not referring to any individuals as such.

I think for any real change, there has to be change at the manufacturing stage, it is not all up to the consumer.

I am old enough to recall when biscuits, for example, were sold loose. There was even a time in the 1980s when people could go to the supermarket and buy flour from a bulk dispenser, straight into their Tupperware or whatever.

Would that fly now? With the chance of people poisoning food on purpose, hiding needles etc?

And what of exports? We the consumers can be as careful as we like, but really, if  a person eats, for example, an orange from California, that orange has taken a lot more resources to get to the shops than more local produce.

Message 27 of 58
Latest reply

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

When I saw the clear bins on the TV I wondered if any residents might not be keen to show their neighbours how much alcohol they consume...and might dump the glass bottles and beer cans in the general waste. LOL

I know you said it half in jest but I think you've made a really valid point.

There is also the money aspect.

For some people, every little bit of saving counts.

So for instance, our council used to provide a second recycle bin free of charge. Now they are going to charge for it. I have a friend with several children, a  large family, though not all live at home any more. But they and grandchildren also visit.

So rather than pay for a second bin, she may opt to put what she can in the recycle bin and the left overs in the rubbish.

Message 28 of 58
Latest reply

Where my mother lives the rubbish, recycle and garden bins are allocated to households as a matter of course. 

Where I live the garden one incurs an extra fee and has to be requested.  As I pay to get my lawn mowed and do a general cleanup I don't have the green bin.

I was wondering if the clear bins might cost extra.  They look like they be more to expensive to produce.

Frankly, after China has refused to take any more waste, I'd rather the councils prove they are actually recycling stuff from the bins before they dream up more ways to extract money from their ratepayers (and make no mistake, no matter what anyone says about the clear bins, councils are probably already salivating at the prospect of  issuing fines to ratepayers for puting the wrong stuff in the bins.....with the added bonus that whoever they employ to check the bins won't need to get out of their vehicle but just take a photo).

Message 29 of 58
Latest reply

I think it would put people off putting out alcohol  and  soft drink contaners as people can be judgemental.

One point the spokesman made was that it would make it easier for people looking for sellables to find them and this did seem an valid point.I have noticed  in my area you see several people  a week looting the park bins for bottles to sell and in the last few months i see people  going through the recycling bins every fortnight they are out . Only last night I saw two seperate ladies checking each one out as it was recycling night. 

I think it would be a better idea for councils to provide big bins for recycles so people who want the money can just go get some to sell without diving in filthy bins and making a mess 

I have a vice for pepsi max and so I take about 6 garbage  bags of bottles down to local park and leave near bins every couple of month's  ...they are always taken in a couple of hours by homeless people .

Message 30 of 58
Latest reply