Transparent recycling bins?

Transparent recycling bins would make residents 'face their waste', former Greens senator says

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-20/transparent-recycling-bins-proposed-for-adelaide-council-area...

if it comes here i'll just paint my bin

Message 1 of 58
Latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

What the big deal with others seeing what you eat/drink? Most people buy their groceries etc at the supermarket where there are heaps of people around who can see what is  in their shopping trolley, if they care to look ( I dont ). Or perhaps they cover their shopping trolley in black plastic so no one else can see what they are intending to buy?

The passing people who see what they buy at a supermarket are probably different people each time. Not their neighbours.

I can imagine some alcoholics or big drinkers not wanting the neighbours & friends to see the recycle bin contents.

As someone said, there are some judgemental people around.

Even in a supermarket, I think a lot of people do look at what others are buying. Maybe not with any ulterior motive, but they definitely look. I have had people make comments  (about different things) such as -where did you get that? What do you use that for? Do you make these. very clever. Having a party?
I am stopped at least once a week with people asking about my shopping bags.

If total strangers show an interest, you can bet your bottom dollar some people would have a sticky at what others had in their bins if they were on display.

Some people won't care about that, others might.

But my main question would be are these bins dearer to make. It sounds as if they could be. And to what effect, if the bin collectors already have scans inside their truck to check the contents?

Message 41 of 58
Latest reply

I obviously shop where the "boring" people shop lol .... I dont get people commenting to me re my purchases nor do I comment on theirs

As I have already said a number of times I couldnt give a shell grit if others see what is in either of my bins and I certainly wouldnt be checking out theirs   

But each to their own, I guess

Message 42 of 58
Latest reply

I occasionally have someone say at the checkout, "that's a very healthy shop" when they see what I'm buying. I don't mind people saying that because when there's no processed food it means there's a lot less packaging.

Transparent bins would be a waste of time around here because the bins are picked up before daylight and most people don't put them out until after dark, especially in winter.

How are they going to prove things in the bin came from the house where the bin is? Anyone can put their stuff in someone else's bin without them knowing about it. I believe the bins actually belong to the council, not the householder, and once the bin is on the nature strip it's quite legal for anyone to help themselves to the contents, so it's probably just as legal to put your rubbish in someone else's bin (as I do).
Message 43 of 58
Latest reply

i wonder how strong the 'clear' bins will be and how they will withstand UV from the sun.

will they get that 'yellowing' and get brittle over time?

and require recycling, will you be allowed to recycle your recycle bin?

who will pay for a new recycle bin?

Message 44 of 58
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
 once the bin is on the nature strip it's quite legal for anyone to help themselves to the contents, so it's probably just as legal to put your rubbish in someone else's bin (as I do).

It probably depends on where you live.  Here it is illegal to take or add anything to other people's bins.  If you have too much rubbish, the council wants you to get second bin/larger bin for extra charge.

I do not mind if neigbours use my 1/2 full bin, as long as they do not put anything smelly and leaking.  I am unable to wash my bins and so I am careful to wrap anything potentially leaking. 

Message 45 of 58
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

i wonder how strong the 'clear' bins will be and how they will withstand UV from the sun.

will they get that 'yellowing' and get brittle over time?

and require recycling, will you be allowed to recycle your recycle bin?

who will pay for a new recycle bin?

My nature strip slopes a bit - towards the gutter.  A few times over the years the bin has been put back too close to the edge and on windy days has blown over onto the road.  I had one bin lose its lid when a car drove over it, one where the lid almost came off...and one where a car must have hit the bin fair and square so it had to be replaced.

Looking at the photos of the clear bins, I wondered if where the coloured parts meet the clear bits might be a weak spot.

Message 46 of 58
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

Anyone can put their stuff in someone else's bin without them knowing about it. I believe the bins actually belong to the council, not the householder, and once the bin is on the nature strip it's quite legal for anyone to help themselves to the contents, so it's probably just as legal to put your rubbish in someone else's bin (as I do).

Ummm ... one of my bug-bears is people putting their uncontained rubbish in my bin so I have to wash it out - especially the dirty nappies that arrive overnight. May be legal but I paid for use of the bin - if they have too much rubbish they should, imho, go to the tip or pay for a second bin, not distribute their rubbish up the street.

Message 47 of 58
Latest reply

That's a good point about rubbish dumping into other people's bins.

I was talking to someone in the plastics industry and in their opinion, see through bins would be much more expensive to make. Even translucent wouldn't be much good, they would need to be reasonably clear if the idea was to make contents easily visible.

I can't see the use of going to this extra expense and extra processing if the collection trucks have an inbuilt monitor to see the rubbish as it pours into the truck.

If the idea is shaming people, then those with something to hide would surely pop it into the centre of the bin with other stuff packed around it so you wouldn't see it. Or else dump it by the side of the road.

@ lyhargr.  I am not sure if I live in an exciting shopping centre exactly, but most queries I get are along the lines of 'Those bags are a good idea, where did you get them? How much did they cost?

I don't really mind, the people mean well. 

Message 48 of 58
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

What the big deal with others seeing what you eat/drink? Most people buy their groceries etc at the supermarket where there are heaps of people around who can see what is  in their shopping trolley, if they care to look ( I dont ). Or perhaps they cover their shopping trolley in black plastic so no one else can see what they are intending to buy?

The passing people who see what they buy at a supermarket are probably different people each time. Not their neighbours.

I can imagine some alcoholics or big drinkers not wanting the neighbours & friends to see the recycle bin contents.

As someone said, there are some judgemental people around.

Even in a supermarket, I think a lot of people do look at what others are buying. Maybe not with any ulterior motive, but they definitely look. I have had people make comments  (about different things) such as -where did you get that? What do you use that for? Do you make these. very clever. Having a party?
I am stopped at least once a week with people asking about my shopping bags.

If total strangers show an interest, you can bet your bottom dollar some people would have a sticky at what others had in their bins if they were on display.

Some people won't care about that, others might.

But my main question would be are these bins dearer to make. It sounds as if they could be. And to what effect, if the bin collectors already have scans inside their truck to check the contents?

This is what I was commenting on NOT your shopping bags   ..  It was re cycle day here yesterday, both hubs and I had a quiet giggle re those who dont want others to see what's in the garbage/recyle bns   ..... Hope they never get knocked over and the contents gets spilled onto the road as occasionally happens here

As hubs mentioned, some people just cant cope with change of any kind, they go into panic mode 

Message 49 of 58
Latest reply

it all feels like the govt at what ever level is grooming us to be sudo police out there investigating our neighbours.

you can just imagine people who have nothing better to do going around inspecting bins and making reports.

i see a new idea, bin alarms

if the lid gets lifted the alarm goes off scaring the bajebers out of the neighbour putting their bad stuff in ya bin.

maybe fit dye bombs to give the culprit a nice blue face

honestly, i dont give a monkeys what anyone else puts in their bins

lets just get our govts to do what we are paying them to do, take our recyles or our greens or our general rubish and do what they are supposed to be doing with it.

Message 50 of 58
Latest reply