Transparent recycling bins?

Transparent recycling bins would make residents 'face their waste', former Greens senator says

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-20/transparent-recycling-bins-proposed-for-adelaide-council-area...

if it comes here i'll just paint my bin

Message 1 of 58
Latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

I've never seen this but am wondering if it differs from state to state as bottles don't get any money here in Vic, as far as I am aware. Many years ago they did but I think they were glass back then. Cans also used to get money a couple of decades back, if you collected enough of them but I haven't seen people collecting them for a long time now.

My only concern with people looting bins is if the bins are the same shape as a normal bin, then some people may not replace the other stuff back neatly. It would be better to have a glass or bottle recycle container in maybe a square shape so access was easy. 

I don't think the bins need to be made clear. As others have said, neighbours can be judgemental, and even if they are not, some people may not like exposing exactly what they eat or drink.

If the reason is so that the collectors in the truck can check out the rubbish and make sure it is appropriate, they already can. The men around our area do not exit the truck. The truck has automatic arms that lift and empty the bin. There is a screen in the truck and the driver can see the contents as they are emptied. That is better as even with a clear bin, no one can see exactly what is in the middle, but if a person can see it as it is being emptied, that is a better indication of what is actually in there.

Message 31 of 58
Latest reply

What the big deal with others seeing what you eat/drink? Most people buy their groceries etc at the supermarket where there are heaps of people around who can see what is  in their shopping trolley, if they care to look ( I dont ). Or perhaps they cover their shopping trolley in black plastic so no one else can see what they are intending to buy?

Message 32 of 58
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I've never seen this but am wondering if it differs from state to state as bottles don't get any money here in Vic, as far as I am aware. Many years ago they did but I think they were glass back then. Cans also used to get money a couple of decades back, if you collected enough of them but I haven't seen people collecting them for a long time now.

My only concern with people looting bins is if the bins are the same shape as a normal bin, then some people may not replace the other stuff back neatly. It would be better to have a glass or bottle recycle container in maybe a square shape so access was easy. 

I don't think the bins need to be made clear. As others have said, neighbours can be judgemental, and even if they are not, some people may not like exposing exactly what they eat or drink.

If the reason is so that the collectors in the truck can check out the rubbish and make sure it is appropriate, they already can. The men around our area do not exit the truck. The truck has automatic arms that lift and empty the bin. There is a screen in the truck and the driver can see the contents as they are emptied. That is better as even with a clear bin, no one can see exactly what is in the middle, but if a person can see it as it is being emptied, that is a better indication of what is actually in there.

That was one of my concerns. They wont often find any drink bottles or cans in my bin, I have a separate wheely bin for cans, that I take to the recycling depot myself, but the missus and kids sometimes chuck drink cans in the recycling bin.. By the same token I don't want people tipping my bin over because they can see a can half way down, or rifling through my bin at 11.00 o'clock at night, pulling out discarded scrap metal. ( which I do put in my recycling bins !!! )

And the shaming people part ? ( And that is what the ex senator says this is about ).  Its just another very stupid idea, being pushed by an idiot ex. Greens senator.

Message to Greens - Get your nose outa my bins........Man Tongue

Message 33 of 58
Latest reply

Phew - what a relief - I'm covered.

Recyclable bin liners for Recycle Bins.

images (45).jpeg

Message 34 of 58
Latest reply

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

What the big deal with others seeing what you eat/drink? Most people buy their groceries etc at the supermarket where there are heaps of people around who can see what is  in their shopping trolley, if they care to look ( I dont ). Or perhaps they cover their shopping trolley in black plastic so no one else can see what they are intending to buy?

I don't care who sees what is in my bins or my shopping and I doubt many people look anyway, but many years ago I was surprised when I was putting groceries out at the checkout that as I unloaded the cat food cans (on special so we had stocked up) the person behind gave me a nasty look and commented to all and sundry that I 'must have too many cats and that it shouldn't be allowed'.

I may not mind but there are some pathetic people out there who feel compelled to comment on stuff that is none of their business.  I could give other examples.  Now I get my groceries delivered - without bags - and I frankly I don't care what the sorters or the delivery driver sees. Smiley Very Happy

Message 35 of 58
Latest reply

hmm, maybe i'll paste pictures of kittens and puppys on my bin

Message 36 of 58
Latest reply

martinw-48
Community Member
Won't be able to hide dead bodies either
Message 37 of 58
Latest reply

@martinw-48 wrote:
Won't be able to hide dead bodies either

Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Message 38 of 58
Latest reply

Just a wheelie bin story from the past.

Local bloke placed a magna engine in bits in the bin.

Was out for pick up xmas morning-these were the days before

the trucks had load sensers and put the bin down real quick.

Reckon the driver was doing the last few pick up before finishing 

and heading home for xmas with family.

There was a grinding noise trom the truck -popped a hose and

100 litres of hydraulic oil squirted all over the street.

The driver got out slipped over and headed for the front door(not real happy) lol.

The bloke did a runner out the back door and got away.

Was in big trouble with the council over it. 

Message 39 of 58
Latest reply

@serendipityricho wrote:

Just a wheelie bin story from the past.

Local bloke placed a magna engine in bits in the bin.

Was out for pick up xmas morning-these were the days before

the trucks had load sensers and put the bin down real quick.

Reckon the driver was doing the last few pick up before finishing 

and heading home for xmas with family.

There was a grinding noise trom the truck -popped a hose and

100 litres of hydraulic oil squirted all over the street.

The driver got out slipped over and headed for the front door(not real happy) lol.

The bloke did a runner out the back door and got away.

Was in big trouble with the council over it. 

pretty sure if you took the engine apart and threw it away a few bits at a time you could get away with it, the block would be the hardest, then the cylinder head, everything else would be small....ish

then again they dont charge for metal at my local dump

Message 40 of 58
Latest reply