Uber to deploy driverless cars in Philadelphia

esayaf
Community Member
I always knew that Uber was established to become a driverless car service.
Uber are going to deploy 100 driverless cars in Philadelphia.
A spokesperson from Volvo said that the price structure of Uber driverless cars may actually make private car travel economically unviable.
I can't wait. I'm really looking forward to not owning a vehicle and all the associated expense, especially when it spends more time sitting in my driveway doing nothing.
Now is the time to buy a pub too because with driverless cars pub culture will make a comeback as one won't be able to be charged with drink driving
Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Uber to deploy driverless cars in Philadelphia

Absolutely true esayaf, passenger aircraft are flown by computer, but there are pilots there to use their highly skilled training to take back control of the aircraft from the autopilot when something goes seriously wrong that cannot be managed by computer technology alone.

Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

tas, it might be time for a song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Bjcz5mo9o

Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

Great song that, love his voice xx

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

Not everybody recognises bike paths

Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

That's so true Stawks xx

Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

It'll be good when they come up with the jobless job. You get paid for doing nothing. Oh hang on,they've already invented it. It's called Parliament.
Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

johcaschro
Community Member

A major issue with computer-controlled driverless cars is that the car's computer programme gets to decide whether to run its passengers into a tree or under a bus or off a cliff in conditions where to do otherwise might injure or kill someone else.

It's Azimov's First Law of Robotics. In a conflict of decision making for the robot car, the life or safety of the passenger of the driverless car might not be the first priority.

Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
It's quite possible that in some very extreme circumstances that there might be a loss of life from a driverless vehicle but I'm sure that a lot less people will be dying than currently do due to poor driving.
I'm pretty sure that they will be able to program a driverless vehicles to not drive through flood waters for a start.
I dare say that not having a driver will mean no more cabbies being bashed and murdered too.
My biggest concern is that I get car sick if I'm not doing the driving
Message 28 of 28
Latest reply