Washing up stuff

How do you store all your washing up paraphenalia?

Do you have a special caddy that sits on the bench?

Or do you insist on the utencils being returned to the cupboard underneath?

Or do you just leave everything in the sink all squished up and not drained (like my kids do if I am not onto them)

Do you use a brush? a scrubby thing? one of those sponges with the green stuff on the back? a steel wool? a good old fashioned chux?

and most importantly

Do you Jif your sink? LOL

(My mother always went on about Jiffing the sink - but i use Gumption - and she doesn't know the difference!

I was just at the klitchen store before and they had all these cutsie dish washing brushes - like lady beetles and flowers and ladies and stuff - and it caused me to ponder the complexities of how the dishes get done....

Soooo?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Washing up stuff

@durruticolumna wrote:
Steam mop*.I clean everything with a steam mop.Even myself.

*Kills 99.9% of household germs.

That's gotta sting a little!

Marina.

Message 11 of 30
Latest reply

By a dish brush!

Message 12 of 30
Latest reply

to durrut, who said:

...................................................................................................................................................................................................

Yes steam does kill bugs n germs.....but seriously, did you know that after about 20 minutes many germs etc will resettle and start breeding again on surfaces?

Science and all that. But hey, if steaming gets you going and makes you happy  - go for it!

I keep my kitchen clean and food prep areas and utensils immaculate before, during and after......the dirtiest thing in ones kitchen is the washing sponge/s. A breeding ground for all things nasty. I replace once a week and rinse and dry out inbetween use

Message 13 of 30
Latest reply

I will show you when my kitchen is completed! I have a you beaut little slide out thingy that holds the utensils. I use Nowex cloths etc.

Message 14 of 30
Latest reply

You will have the poshest kitchen, az 🙂
Message 15 of 30
Latest reply

It better be! sick of washing dishes in a bowl in the laundry tub, sick of the microwave. My benchtops just arrived!

Those brushes are cute....... but a bit scarey.

Message 16 of 30
Latest reply

@paintsew007 wrote:

to durrut, who said:

...................................................................................................................................................................................................

Yes steam does kill bugs n germs.....but seriously, did you know that after about 20 minutes many germs etc will resettle and start breeding again on surfaces?

Science and all that. But hey, if steaming gets you going and makes you happy  - go for it!

I keep my kitchen clean and food prep areas and utensils immaculate before, during and after......the dirtiest thing in ones kitchen is the washing sponge/s. A breeding ground for all things nasty. I replace once a week and rinse and dry out inbetween use

My fingers are ulcerated and dirty sponges (apart from being gross) scare the bejesus out of me because of the infection risk, so every time the dishwasher goes on, the sponge goes in to it - comes out very wet and needing to be squeezed out well before air-drying, but very clean indeed and they last a lot longer too. I also routinely put the scrub brush through too....

Marina,

Message 17 of 30
Latest reply

Yeah well, they probably know that their future consists of having their heads shoved into a sink of water 3 times a day - At least they're not toilet brushes I spose!

Message 18 of 30
Latest reply

I know kitchen sponges/clothes can be germ ridden but what is the health risk really? (presuming they are washed/bleached fairly regularly)

I know people whose discloth I would rather not touch with my bare hands( me itching to grab it and soak it in pure bleach), but they or members of their household rarely get sick.

My daughter has 2 sponges - one for wiping down the bench and one for using in the washing up water to wash the dishes with. I found that out when I was spotted using the wrong one in the sink.

Message 19 of 30
Latest reply

I bet you'll be VERY happy when your kitchen is finished az !!

I was so happy with the kitchen company we used, they have their own plumber and electrician, turned up at 7 am, removed the old kitchen and took it away, did the plumbing and electric stuff and installed the new kitchen......all in the one day.  Only thing that wasn't done was 2 drawer handles put on the next day as  someone counted wrong lol.

Just had a new handyman here ( the first one buggared off leaving lots of people with half finished jobs !) anyway, he's going to finish the window awnings etc..he's having a house built atm and loved the corner doovey we have in the kitchen.  It isn't a lazy susan type thing but metal racks on this pull out and open unit, hard to explain but glad we included it.  He's been looking for something similar, so it worked out well that he saw it.  I've also got one of the pull out metal rack things under the sink for cleaning stuff, very handy.  I use to buy big rolls of chux for washing dishes, cleaning but I bought some bamboo/cotton thread yesterday to make some dishcloths.

Mightn't be saving the environment much by not using throw away cleaning cloths anymore but I guess every little bit helps.

Message 20 of 30
Latest reply