What do you Really think of People who work in low end jobs all their life?

Earning minimum or just above minimum wage. Should these people aim higher?

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

" low end " jobs is just a question of perspective. Its a view often pushed by those who have received a tertiary education. Many think the piece of paper makes them more valued and important than those with a " low Job ". 

The accountant or teachers house is going to get pretty smelly pretty quick if there are no garbo's or plumbers. Its just another form of discrimination by the privileged against the poor. Every role is important, its just that some think their role is more important than others.

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

I've heard it said that there are two ways to achieve happiness...

#1 Earn more than you spend ... or ... #2 Spend less than you earn.

Either way can be good so long as it's right for you, so there is no need to "aim higher" unless you are not content.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

Re: What do you Really think of People who work in low end jobs all their life?
@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Earning minimum or just above minimum wage. Should these people aim higher?

I think many are stand up people. Many are highly intelligent but circumstances dictate their being there.

Perhaps they should aim higher. But someone has to do the low end jobs too. All roles have an importance.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

If they're happy and can support themselves/family, why change?

If they're unhappy, then it's up to them.

We have no idea about the life and story of an individual person, so it's not up to us to judge.
Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

There's no one rule fits all.

Why should someone have to 'aim higher' if they are happy and managing where they are?

Thinking about your comment, it reminded me of many people I worked with. Now, they were teachers so maybe not in your definition of earning a minimum wage, but all the same, I knew several who were happy to stay in the classroom. In order to aim higher in teaching, to get promotions, you have to apply for positions with responsibility and the ultimate positions will just about always take you out of the classroom and into an admin role of some sort.

I had several friends who did aim higher and would go for interviews (usually for assistant prin roles) but mostly they were women who were single or with older children. I had other friends who never did apply, they just weren't interested in extra responsibilites and different roles. Should they have aimed higher? I think to each his own.

There have to be some Indians as well as chiefs.Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

" low end " jobs is just a question of perspective. Its a view often pushed by those who have received a tertiary education. Many think the piece of paper makes them more valued and important than those with a " low Job ". 

The accountant or teachers house is going to get pretty smelly pretty quick if there are no garbo's or plumbers. Its just another form of discrimination by the privileged against the poor. Every role is important, its just that some think their role is more important than others.

Maybe we have different concepts of a low end job. I know plumbers who won't get out of bed for anything less than $2000 a day. Garbos make way more than a teacher for a coushy job. Who wants to be an accountant.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

@chameleon54 wrote:

Maybe we have different concepts of a low end job. I know plumbers who won't get out of bed for anything less than $2000 a day. Garbos make way more than a teacher for a coushy job. Who wants to be an accountant.

just how many plumbers do you actually know?

tell the truth

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

@chameleon54 wrote:

tell the truth

4 fairly well. My dad included. Do I count the ones I don't know really well?

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

@davidc4430 wrote:

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

@chameleon54 wrote:

tell the truth

4 fairly well. My dad included. Do I count the ones I don't know really well?

so your dad wont come to help you unless you offer him $2000 per day?

such love for a child i have to admire

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply