What will you do with your $750?

about a month ago i bought a small split system air conditioner from 'Kogan' (an online shoping site)

normally not an item i would buy as the size if bought locally would be about $700 for just the unit

but kogan had an end of summer sale unit at $430.

then they had a free delivery sale too on the airconditioner

then they sent me a 'get $20 off' promotion

bringing the price down to $410 delivered.

so i got one.

i have been planning to save up to have it installed in a few months.

i will now spend the $750 on the install

Message 1 of 115
Latest reply
114 REPLIES 114

@davidc4430 wrote:

about a month ago i bought a small split system air conditioner from 'Kogan' (an online shoping site)

normally not an item i would buy as the size if bought locally would be about $700 for just the unit

but kogan had an end of summer sale unit at $430.

then they had a free delivery sale too on the airconditioner

then they sent me a 'get $20 off' promotion

bringing the price down to $410 delivered.

so i got one.

i have been planning to save up to have it installed in a few months.

i will now spend the $750 on the install

And 2 local businesses will be supported!

Message 2 of 115
Latest reply

exactly, maybe 3, kogan, the aircon installer and an electrician too.

Message 4 of 115
Latest reply

Sorry.  Back to 2

It's usually an electrician that does the instal

Message 5 of 115
Latest reply

I guess some will spend it on toilet paper, and some others will spend it on petrol driving around looking for toilet paper.

Message 6 of 115
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Sorry.  Back to 2

Not true .......     Took two different tradies to install our SS, not all electricians are qualified to install SS completely and not all SS installers are/have an electrician in their team

Message 7 of 115
Latest reply

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

@imastawka wrote:

Sorry.  Back to 2

Not true .......     Took two different tradies to install our SS, not all electricians are qualified to install SS completely and not all SS installers are/have an electrician in their team

So unless you can get a tradie who is qualifed to do the lot, ya back to 3 David

Message 8 of 115
Latest reply

regardless of 1 2 or 3 my cash will go back into the local economy.

actually kogan dont count as i bought the unit before getting the stimulus money

it just means i will get it installed sooner than planned

god i'm nice to leroy, no freezing nights this winter.

i have a large SS in the lounge but even turned up it fails to deliver warm air right thru the house to my bedroom.

no point having a warm lounge if the bedrooms cold.

i used to put extra rugs on Foos bed and cover him over but hed move about and uncover himself within a short time.

Message 9 of 115
Latest reply

Air Conditioning - Victoria

Energy Safe Victoria issues licences to air conditioning installers in Victoria. Air conditioning and refrigeration installers in Victoria must hold a Restricted Electrical Workers Licence in order to install any air conditioning system other than a simple system that can be plugged into a wall outlet.

A Restricted Electrical Workers Licence for air conditioning will be restricted to air conditioning and refrigeration only and there are two licence classes:

1. Class 1 includes “fault finding.”
  2. Class 2 is limited to disconnect/reconnect work only.

In addition, air conditioning installers in Victoria must hold an appropriate ARC licence. This can either be a full licence or, if they are installing a split system, a restricted licence.

Air Conditioning - SA

The Office of Consumer and Business Affairs governs the licensing of trades in South Australia. The Office considers refrigeration and air conditioning systems installation as a part of the building industry and issues “building work supervisor” licences with “standard conditions” included for the scope of work the installer is authorised to carry out. In the case of air conditioning, the licence may be:

• Air Conditioning limited to split system installation or
  • Air Conditioning

The general “Air Conditioning” licence includes installation of “fixed appliances that circulate airflow within a building that provides heating and/or cooling of the building space.” It does not include associated electrical or plumbing work unless the technician is also registered to perform that type of work.

As is the case throughout Australia, air conditioning installers in South Australia must also hold licences issued by the Australian Refrigeration Council (ARC).

Message 10 of 115
Latest reply