Years Ago

.My mum used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread butter on bread on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.
Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice pack coolers, but I can't remember getting e. Coli Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake or at the beach instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.
We all took PE ..... And risked permanent injury with a pair of Dunlop sandshoes instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors that cost as much as a small car. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.
We got the cane for doing something wrong at school, they used to call it discipline yet we all grew up to accept the rules and to honour & respect those older than us. We had 50 kids in our class and we all learned to read and write, do maths and spell almost all the words needed to write a grammatically correct letter......., 
FUNNY THAT!!
We all said prayers in school irrespective of our religion, sang the national anthem and no one got upset.
Staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention we wish we hadn’t got.
I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself. I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations. We weren't!!
Oh yeah ... And where was the antibiotics and sterilisation kit when I got that bee sting? Could I have been killed!
We played “King of the Hill” on piles of gravel left on vacant building sites and when we got hurt, mum pulled out the 2/6p bottle of iodine and then we got our backside spanked. Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10 day dose of antibiotics and then mum calls the lawyer to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.
To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that?
We never needed to get into group therapy and/or anger management classes. We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac!
How did we ever survive?

Tommy Loves Everyone... Im a 75 year old nutcase..
Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Years Ago

Message 11 of 32
Latest reply

@not_for_sale2024wrote:

I remember I went to a primary school fancy dress party all excited because my friend lent me a cowboy outfit. My teacher told me I was an embarrassment because I was too fat to be a cowboy. I was shattered and that's where my memory ends.

The teacher had clearly never seen Hoss in 'Bonanza'. Or a lot of genuine historic photos of cowboys either.  😉

I've seen photos of people dressed up as favourite TV characters (cosplay as it is now called) and some are very large or very skinny - ie nothing like the characters they are copying.  At first I thought it seemed crazy (I'm a large person and couldn't imagine squeezing myself into a costume of a favourite character, mostly for comfort reasons, let alone because of my shape or that I look nothing like the character). 

But now I get it - it's about the fun of dressing up...and to hell with other people's opinion.

Message 12 of 32
Latest reply

milk was delivered by a man with a horse and cart

so was bread

butcher shops had sawdust on the floor to soak up the blood

our fast food shop was a fish n chip shop and you had to wait while they actually cooked the fish and the chips, no microwaved mush

once a year we blew ouselves up with fircrackers.

Message 13 of 32
Latest reply

We had an armoury at my high school (army cadets) and no students were ever mowed down.
Message 14 of 32
Latest reply

and, we had a fridge you needed to put a block of ice in to make it cold, i still remember dad going to the ice factory to get a new block of ice.

then came the big breakthru, coin operated ice machines!

Message 15 of 32
Latest reply

THANK YOU FOR BOOKING 2 TICKETS AT THE DISCOUNTED PRICE OF £99
Would you like to sit down during your flight? Yes/No You have chosen yes £56
Would you like to sit down on the way back? Yes/No You have chosen yes £72
Would you like your legs to fit in the seating area with you? Yes/No You have chosen yes £82
Will you be wearing clothes on your holiday? Yes/No you have chosen yes
and you will therefore need bags to put them in £52
Do you have your own insurance? Yes/No you have chosen yes therefore the compulsory insurance will be discounted by 10% as our gift to you £64
Will you want insurance for your wife? Yes/No You have answered no, but you have to £64
YOU ARE HALF WAY TO BOOKING THE FLIGHT OF YOUR DREAMS!
Are you both taking golf clubs Yes/No You have answered yes £82
Will you both require the in flight meals? Yes/No You have answered yes £34
Will you require the use of the onboard toilets Yes/No You have answered yes £34
Will you be doing No 1 or No2s (Due to the data protection act we are not allowed to show the answer but we have noted your requirements and priced accordingly) £196
Would you like to give us a little bit more money under the guise of a green tax which
we will pretend it will help the environment? Yes/No You have unsurprisingly answered No. Fair enough
YOUR GRAND TOTAL £887
(NEARLY FINISHED!)
One final question Will you be paying with a card? Yes/No You have chosen yes £88:70
YOUR FINAL GRAND TOTAL £975:70
TOTAL BILL INCLUDING AIRPORT TAX £1073:70
Moving on to your Hotel will you be requiring beds ???
Tommy Loves Everyone... Im a 75 year old nutcase..
Message 16 of 32
Latest reply

Children gave up their seat for adults on buses, trains & ferries.

You walked on the left side of a footpath.

You looked right, left & right again before you crossed the road. (in Oz)

You never spoke back to, or abused a cop.

When Fibro was regarded as the magical building product for fences & houses, and anything else you could find a use for.

( until they discovered that asbestos kills)

When you were sent to your room, and had nothing to do.

Room.png  

Message 17 of 32
Latest reply

My sister and I were naughty on purpose (and I am going quite a few years now!!) because that's where our books were.
To this day, we prefer reading over watching TV.
Message 18 of 32
Latest reply

@the4masters2013wrote:
My sister and I were naughty on purpose (and I am going quite a few years now!!) because that's where our books were.
To this day, we prefer reading over watching TV.

Late sixties.  Got punished for some misdemeanour - no TV for a week.  After dinner I was banished to my room.  Only thing was, I had loads of books, the Barbie dolls and other toys, a small portable record player and and some records, and best of all a new gadget.....a little Panasonic transistor radio.  I had a great time. 

When the week was up I was allowed to watch TV again and I did....but not as much as I did before.  In truth I could hardly wait to return to the peace and quiet of my room with all my stuff.  I spent so much time in there my parents began to get worried....and ordered me back out to the lounge to 'sit with the family and watch TV'. 🙂

Message 19 of 32
Latest reply

I remember breaking up bits of asbestos into smaller pieces with a rock to play hop scotch with.....Smiley Embarassed

Message 20 of 32
Latest reply