bizarre behaviour of citrus trees

I have an orange tree and a lemon tree in close proximity about 20 years old. Every year they've yielded lots of lumpy misshapen (but very tasty) lemons from May to October and a few sour oranges in summer. This year they are bewitched, I picked 2 kilos of oranges this week with heaps left almost ripe and also quite a few unripe what appear to be mandarins. The lemon tree is almost bare of ripe lemons but there is heaps of green fruit that should be ready around November to December. I'm in Perth WA, any ideas?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: bizarre behaviour of citrus trees

Sorry I have no explanations re the behaviour of your citrus trees, languidlady, lol.

Just wanted to say I love oranges they're my favourite fruit. They're like little globes of sunshine IMO.

🙂

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

@punch*drunk wrote:

gone a bit yellowish (the foliage not the fruit) but it does have a lot of grapefruits ripening up.

if the leaves go yellow that is magnesium deficiency; get some EPSOM salt and spread it around under the tree and water well.  Get the epsom salts from a produce store, about $1.50 per kg, last time I got some. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

Thanks supernova, i'll try that. A neighbour suggested we put the ash from the fireplace under them.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

Ash from the fire will give you more flowers and that leads to more fruit.

So, yes, a good thing

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

thanks mtnlane & kopenhagen, must say I'll be overjoyed if the tree continues to produce mandarins, we've never had any luck growing a mandarin tree. We bought the infant tree from a nursery many years ago so it's quite possibly grafted. The oranges aren't naval and they do have pips.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

I just wish people in my neighbourhood would prune their citrus

trees every year.

I have  lemon, lime and mandarin trees and fight an uphill battle

to get rid of gall wasp.  It's driving me nuts!!!

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply