christmas lights

Is it just my area or are less people decorating with xmas light's?  .

I really enjoy xmas displays and always loved going for walks in the cool evenings  with the dogs and looking at the lights . This year though so few have any up, only one really nice display of lights and animals out of the 2 suburbs i walk in and a couple with nice light displays.

I have no idea why it has dropped off so much 5 years ago at least a third of the houses had   at least some lights up . Perhaps  its the electrisity bill or vandalism. ...apparently people have had xmas displays vandalised iv read but I have lights all year on my fence,just solar,and no problems so it seems strange. I have a light up penguin and kangaroos and have seen people stoping to take photos so im not the only  one to enjoy a display 

Perhaps people are worried they will be seen as religious. ..I noticed in the window displays of the local St Vincent de paul and Smith family they have nice displays for   xmas  but not a single religious item like a nativity  or a Jesus  which seemed ironic and kind of sad ..

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: christmas lights

There used to be Christmas lights around houses in my area, but it has steadily been dropping off.  I reckon the main reasons are their kids have grown up  (and probably left home....or now think it's silly if they haven't)....and with the passing of time perhaps Dad is not so keen to climb ladders and walk on the roof, or climb up trees to arrange LED light netting. 🙂

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

We always put lights around the verandahs, in the tree and over the arch but I agree, there  doesnt seem to be as many people bother these days.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

We have a local guy who goes all out every year.

Computerised dancing lights to music.

The music is tuned in via your car radio.

People bring their kids by the carload.

A gold coin donation goes to charity and the kids get a candy cane to watch the show.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

The christmas lights thing was big in our town a few years ago, but has petered out a bit. Not really sure why.

When my kids where young they would hunt up christmas lights cheap at garage sales and we would do the big display. They would use their pocket money to buy the lights and the oldies who where downsizing houses would often do a special deal for them. A box of lights ( in the middle of winter ) for 50 cents or whatever.

We used to have this battered up, patched up old 1960,s plastic christmas tree that came with the house when we purchased it. It was broken and repaired and just generally horrible, but I would insist it go up each year as it had " character ". Eventually the daughter refused to put it up anymore as it was embarrising and she went out and purchased a new shiney one.

The kids have grown up now and the lights are all obsolete and sitting in a box in the corner of the shed. I must admit life has not been kind the last few years and I havnt really had the time or been in the mood for christmas lights.

The daughter set up the shiney christmas tree and decorations in the house this year and that has brought a bit of christmas cheer to the place.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

We've only ever put a big home made "Christmas" moose with lit up antlers, eyes and legs in front of our house.

Even only that brings carloads because in Australia, a "moose in front of the hoose" is a special thing apparently... Woman LOL

moose.jpg

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Merry Christmoose Tas

Image result for merry christmas moose animated

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

............ and to you too sweet lady xxx

moose2.jpg

Message 8 of 14