"Cancel Culture": What, exactly, does that mean?

Recently, in this forum, reference was made to a "dumb lefty cancel culture" . I've been wondering ever since  what exactly  those words mean.

Do they refer to a) a cancelling of culture or  b) a culture of cancelling? 

If a) then which or who's cultures are being cancelled?

and if b) then what exactly is the culture trying to cancel?

Also, if there is, indeed, a "dumb lefty cancel culture" does that imply  there is also a "dumb righty cancel culture"

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: "Cancel Culture": What, exactly, does that mean?

11850760_popcorn_jpegff1779b2a83cb0a59d8471a8daf3649f.jpg

โ€ƒ

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Not even close to enough.

Look how much was needed when "confused" from Azerbaijan started a thread.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Interesting question.

Itโ€™s ostracism, if we strip it back to the bare bones, but itโ€™s being driven by social media, influencers, celebrities, and people using hashtags in particular.

If the prevailing view or culture among those either calling out bad behaviour or launching a campaign of outrage is predominantly left, and if itโ€™s a knee-jerk reaction without taking two sides of argument into account, it might well be referred to in such circumstances as dumb lefty cancel culture.

In circumstances where the prevailing view/culture is predominantly right, the calling out or outrage - if mindless knee-jerk stuff - would obviously lend itself to being called dumb right cancel culture.

Is social media more likely to express a left view or a right view? I seem to remember reading that teenagers and young adults (18-36 or so) are more likely to hold views on the social left than on the social right, but the tendency is to move right with increased age. I donโ€™t recall the source, and Iโ€™m not a political expert. Most social media is motorised by those age groups; there are disturbing examples of collective outrage; it can and does lead to decisions that effectively put some individuals or groups on the outside.

It can also force companies to change brand names, pull down commercials, etc.

Itโ€™s too complex for a simple answerโ€ฆ so I will leave my post to brew for a while.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

The expression is  just one example of virtue signalling by RWNJs

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

I think "dumb lefty cancel culture" is a word salad that only has meaning to the person writing it.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

I feel for David. Both the Slap thread and the Cats thread are great threads started by him and both were attacked by the same person... ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

And David recently returned and I hoped he would enjoy some time here again. But what a welcome back! And the fun loving members here are the ones who are supposedly driving people away!! The minds of some people.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

David did get a bit of push back with continual ' news ' links - which most were aware of - it's news.

But his Rosie & waiting for his LeRoy were pretty dam special - even today - animals are life.

What one is on about - beats the heck out of me - never have I encountered a discussion from him - simply the posting of questionable links - never defending the content - never engaging with a disagreement with the content - ever.

Just a beat over the head - with rubbish.

As for the other - well - there's definitely a few problems going on there.

I hope all have a very - fun - enjoyable - Easter. 

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply