"Cancel Culture": What, exactly, does that mean?

Recently, in this forum, reference was made to a "dumb lefty cancel culture" . I've been wondering ever since  what exactly  those words mean.

Do they refer to a) a cancelling of culture or  b) a culture of cancelling? 

If a) then which or who's cultures are being cancelled?

and if b) then what exactly is the culture trying to cancel?

Also, if there is, indeed, a "dumb lefty cancel culture" does that imply  there is also a "dumb righty cancel culture"

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

11850760_popcorn_jpegff1779b2a83cb0a59d8471a8daf3649f.jpg

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Not even close to enough.

Look how much was needed when "confused" from Azerbaijan started a thread.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Interesting question.

It’s ostracism, if we strip it back to the bare bones, but it’s being driven by social media, influencers, celebrities, and people using hashtags in particular.

If the prevailing view or culture among those either calling out bad behaviour or launching a campaign of outrage is predominantly left, and if it’s a knee-jerk reaction without taking two sides of argument into account, it might well be referred to in such circumstances as dumb lefty cancel culture.

In circumstances where the prevailing view/culture is predominantly right, the calling out or outrage - if mindless knee-jerk stuff - would obviously lend itself to being called dumb right cancel culture.

Is social media more likely to express a left view or a right view? I seem to remember reading that teenagers and young adults (18-36 or so) are more likely to hold views on the social left than on the social right, but the tendency is to move right with increased age. I don’t recall the source, and I’m not a political expert. Most social media is motorised by those age groups; there are disturbing examples of collective outrage; it can and does lead to decisions that effectively put some individuals or groups on the outside.

It can also force companies to change brand names, pull down commercials, etc.

It’s too complex for a simple answer… so I will leave my post to brew for a while.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

The expression is  just one example of virtue signalling by RWNJs

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

I think "dumb lefty cancel culture" is a word salad that only has meaning to the person writing it.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

I feel for David. Both the Slap thread and the Cats thread are great threads started by him and both were attacked by the same person... 😞

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

And David recently returned and I hoped he would enjoy some time here again. But what a welcome back! And the fun loving members here are the ones who are supposedly driving people away!! The minds of some people.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

David did get a bit of push back with continual ' news ' links - which most were aware of - it's news.

But his Rosie & waiting for his LeRoy were pretty dam special - even today - animals are life.

What one is on about - beats the heck out of me - never have I encountered a discussion from him - simply the posting of questionable links - never defending the content - never engaging with a disagreement with the content - ever.

Just a beat over the head - with rubbish.

As for the other - well - there's definitely a few problems going on there.

I hope all have a very - fun - enjoyable - Easter. 

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply