Incorrectly adding GST to secondhand auto parts purchased from the UK

bgt70l
Community Member

Recently, I wished to purchase a small, used  auto part from the UK.            At E-Bay's checkout, I noticed that a GST amount had been added to the total sale price.         I refused to proceed with the purchase because of this illegally levied tax.                       When in Australia, did anyone ever had to pay GST on used auto parts?

Message 1 of 44
Latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Incorrectly adding GST to secondhand auto parts purchased from the UK

Have a read of the link below, it's quite simple really on when GST is applicable to eBay purchases.......

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771&st=12&pos=1&query...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 11 of 44
Latest reply

I love how people claim  "ILLEGAL"...................

Go to an aussie auto wrecker, online or BOM, .........guess what......... You will be charged  GST, as legally compelled and it is illegal for the dealer to sell the item to you without having GST included in the price.

Note:  Same applies for any second hand dealers.

As far as buying from overseas, if you use ebay AU  to make the purchase, ebay are legally compelled to add GST to the sale price

Message 12 of 44
Latest reply

Thank you for the link, however it is only in respect to new items purchased from overseas, not used.          My question concerned the irregularity between paying GST on purchases from a private EBay seller in the UK, and not having to pay it from a private seller in Australia?            Why is that do you think?

Message 13 of 44
Latest reply

@bgt70l wrote:

Thank you for the link, however it is only in respect to new items purchased from overseas, not used. 

No, it applies to ALL purchase from overseas.

My question concerned the irregularity between paying GST on purchases from a private EBay seller in the UK, and not having to pay it from a private seller in Australia?            Why is that do you think?

One is an IMPORT the other isn't.........

Message 14 of 44
Latest reply

My original post referred to the application of GST being levied to used auto parts purchased from overseas, not new.         My question also concerned the irregularity between paying GST on purchases from an assumed  private EBay seller in the UK, and not having to pay it from a private seller in Australia?            Why is that do you think?             As far as your answer was concerned about going to an Aussie auto wrecker, I wouldn't because I can source most of what I need from Ebay, Gumtree, and private sellers, and there is no reference to GST being added by these sources?             Even your reference to going online - or"BOM" (whatever that refers to?)  there is no GST added to private sales of used auto parts.                So, obviously in my "ignorance" of suggesting "illegal" wouldn't you think that when a clear contradiction arises between Ebay applying GST in purchases from overseas, and not in Australia?           What else am I to think?

Message 15 of 44
Latest reply

@bgt70l wrote:

You appear to have contradicted yourself by this statement.........

"as they have made the platform providers responsible for the GST. Not individual sellers."             

If this be the case, then why isn't Ebay Aust (who is also Ebay Commerce) applying the GST to  sales of used items, where they are acting as a financial middleman by receiving the buyers funds and onforwarding them less deductions to the seller?

The  GST legislation for Low Value Imports is completely seperate to  Australian GST Legislation

Message 16 of 44
Latest reply

Well, why isn't it described as such instead of Ebay deliberately, and clearly, indicating that is a GST that is being added?           If it is an import duty, why not state that?               This is why it is confusing to private Ebay members, who in the main, are small members selling and buying a few items on average per year -  not dealers who seem to be prevalent here.

Message 17 of 44
Latest reply

@bgt70l wrote:

Well, why isn't it described as such instead of Ebay deliberately, and clearly, indicating that is a GST that is being added?           If it is an import duty, why not state that? 

Import duty as said earlier is different to GST, it applies to imports over $1,000 and is paid directly to Customs. 

Why do I feel I'm banging my head against a brick wall here ?????

Message 18 of 44
Latest reply

Cause you are. lol

Message 19 of 44
Latest reply

Import duty and GST are not the same.   Now to totally confuse you Sellers and shipping companies required to collect GST (10%) on low value imports, can also impose any additional fee they desire and call it anything they like.

As to you being a small irregular user of ebay, is irrelevant.  you are the importer, and if you wish to buy goods from overseas it is your responsibility to be fully aware of your legal obligations.

Message 20 of 44
Latest reply