is this fake?

2009mell
Community Member
hi people, have been in contact with a seller for car found on the trading post site. Deal is good, but is it too good? Apparently the owner just moved to uk after divorce. Car is meant to be at transport company in Aust, revs check confirmed what it is and where its registered.
My problem is, the owners email tells me that she has a contract with ebay to sell the car through them... then says...
deal will go like this (remember Ive never used ebay for more than small stuff).
1, i give her my details and shipping address
2, she informs ebay and ebay sends me an invoice for amount payable
3, i pay ebay and the car is "shipped" to me at no cost to me
4, i have 5 days to have the car inspected and decide whether i want it.
5, if i want it ebay pays her, if i dont, she sends for the car, ebay refunds my money and thats the end of that......

Is this a SCAM? Or is this a legitimate way for difficult situation sales to be managed by ebay????
Please Help, still waiting for ebay support to get back to me..
Message 1 of 117
Latest reply
116 REPLIES 116

Re: is this fake?

xb50gs
Community Member
Oh the big one with white ears and a black stripe on the left would do good, i'll name it Bunty. That'll peez the wife right off.
Going Ford is the Going Thing.
Message 41 of 117
Latest reply

xuanmai_123
Community Member
Subject: RE: Reply to your "Honda Civic 2002 GLi 36000 km only" Ad on Gumtree
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Received: Wednesday, 22 September, 2010, 11:46 AM

Hi, before I left Australia with my granny I arranged with eBay to take care of the whole sales process. They'll be our legal representatives in this transaction.

1. eBay will email you the forms which are needed for this transaction (invoice, payment instructions, buyer's and seller's protection policy)
2. You will make the payment to eBay (the funds are kept by them until the car is registered in your name, in case you decide to keep it). After the payment confirmation, you will get the tracking number.
3. After you inspect the car and all the documents and decide to keep it, ebay agent will help you with all the documents and will register the car in your name.
4. eBay will not forward me the money until you test the car and inspect all the documents. You will have 10 days to inspect it. If, for any reason, you decide not to keep the car ebay will refund all your money back! Also, you don't have to pay any shipping fees or any other hidden fees either you decide to keep the car or not! That's the terms for this transaction and for this eBay program which I have applied and paid all the fees.

Please email me your shipping details so I can contact eBay and the shipping company, in order to start the procedure. It will require your full name and address (where the car should be sent to ). Once I have these details I will forward them to eBay and you will receive the invoice for this transaction very soon.

Thanks, Nicole.

That is what I receive from the someone.?:| Can I believe this?
I just gave my name and my address for them, I dont know that they can do anything from my name and address such as access to my bank account or something like that? They want me to transfer the money through Western Union as they live in London. Is this a SCAM, you think? I am really worried.

thanks
Message 42 of 117
Latest reply

xuanmai_123
Community Member
Subject: RE: Reply to your "Honda Civic 2002 GLi 36000 km only" Ad on Gumtree
To:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Received: Wednesday, 22 September, 2010, 11:46 AM

Hi, before I left Australia with my granny I arranged with eBay to take care of the whole sales process. They'll be our legal representatives in this transaction.

1. eBay will email you the forms which are needed for this transaction (invoice, payment instructions, buyer's and seller's protection policy)
2. You will make the payment to eBay (the funds are kept by them until the car is registered in your name, in case you decide to keep it). After the payment confirmation, you will get the tracking number.
3. After you inspect the car and all the documents and decide to keep it, ebay agent will help you with all the documents and will register the car in your name.
4. eBay will not forward me the money until you test the car and inspect all the documents. You will have 10 days to inspect it. If, for any reason, you decide not to keep the car ebay will refund all your money back! Also, you don't have to pay any shipping fees or any other hidden fees either you decide to keep the car or not! That's the terms for this transaction and for this eBay program which I have applied and paid all the fees.

Please email me your shipping details so I can contact eBay and the shipping company, in order to start the procedure. It will require your full name and address (where the car should be sent to ). Once I have these details I will forward them to eBay and you will receive the invoice for this transaction very soon.

Thanks, Nicole.

I just gave my name and my address for them, I dont know that they can do anything from my name and address such as access to my bank account or something like that? They want me to transfer the money through Western Union as they live in London. Is this a SCAM, you think? I am really worried.

thanks.
Message 43 of 117
Latest reply

It is a scam xuanmai_123 (2) definitely 100% ebay never ever holds money while the buyer oks the item never ever.
iHave no more contact and run your virus detection/keystroke logger detection software especially if you have opened links in the item or in emails
TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 44 of 117
Latest reply

xuanmai_123

If you gave them your address details via a link from an email odds on they have farmed or are farming your financial details and your passwords with a keystroke logger.

Even if they do not catch you in the WU car scam they are saving your stolen identity and financial details for another day

Run some antivirus software and change your passwords now!!!!!!!!!
TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 45 of 117
Latest reply

oh dear xuanmai.... NEVER respond to such emails....

do as viewmont has said IMMEDIATELY!!!!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 46 of 117
Latest reply

0409danielr
Community Member
hi guys
just reading about everyone's similair stories... mine isn't that diff and just found this post before sending money!!!
emails from him go like this:
I am writing to confirm that the car is in excellent condition, the bodywork is immaculate, no dents or hidden defects and there is no outstanding finance on the car, also the car comes with a full service history and the price may be less as this is a regretfully sale in need of money.Door to door delivery is included.
I must sell the car because I've just moved in Barcelona, Spain with my job and I have a two years contract to work here... so I'm forced to sell it.
The car is located at a local warehouse in Southport,TAS and from there will be delivered. You will have 5 days inspection period, while you'll be able to see and inspect the car before buying it. If you don't like the car after you will receive it or is not like I've describe it, you can reject the deal.

The car was advertised on eBay as well and I would prefer closing the transaction only through eBay for our own protection. The payment method will be bank transfer because this type of payment is very safe. In this way both of us will start the deal with good faith so we can take it to a smooth end.
Looking forward to hearing from you

Kind regards,
Larry Paterson

i have now received "ebay" invoices which looked a bit dodgy so started looking around for an answer....
Message 47 of 117
Latest reply

well dan this is your answer...^ ^ ^ up there all the horror stories, just like yours.

please do NOT have any further contact with him.
if you have email correspondence, be careful, watch your computer and its firewall/ virus protection..check everything!!

do as viewmont said in #46.... scan/check/protect
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 48 of 117
Latest reply

Bumpety bump bump
Message 49 of 117
Latest reply

I have heard this before same a the people operating from MALAYSIA Trading Post has already warned about the scam from Malaysia no cars for sale at all and all they want is your information and of course your money report it to Ebay and keep your money in your pocket.
Message 50 of 117
Latest reply