is this fake?

2009mell
Community Member
hi people, have been in contact with a seller for car found on the trading post site. Deal is good, but is it too good? Apparently the owner just moved to uk after divorce. Car is meant to be at transport company in Aust, revs check confirmed what it is and where its registered.
My problem is, the owners email tells me that she has a contract with ebay to sell the car through them... then says...
deal will go like this (remember Ive never used ebay for more than small stuff).
1, i give her my details and shipping address
2, she informs ebay and ebay sends me an invoice for amount payable
3, i pay ebay and the car is "shipped" to me at no cost to me
4, i have 5 days to have the car inspected and decide whether i want it.
5, if i want it ebay pays her, if i dont, she sends for the car, ebay refunds my money and thats the end of that......

Is this a SCAM? Or is this a legitimate way for difficult situation sales to be managed by ebay????
Please Help, still waiting for ebay support to get back to me..
Message 1 of 117
Latest reply
116 REPLIES 116

is this fake?

I have heard this before same a the people operating from MALAYSIA Trading Post has already warned about the scam from Malaysia no cars for sale at all and all they want is your information and of course your money report it to Ebay and keep your money in your pocket.

very true bumpety bump bump
TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 51 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

mosiac01
Community Member
We found one too on an australian car sale website, this story said they have moved to WA from Chatswood NSW and to pay by ebay Buyer Protection Plan, has a link to a very authentic looking site with the details and the ebay emblem. The emblem even shows in the web address line and the web address looks so similar (just has a dash in it). Provides the sign in option as well. Thankfully I don't trust any link sent to me so went directly to ebay myself and couldn't find anything on the Buyer Protection programme and then checked out this forum. Wow they are sneaky.
Message 52 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

mosiac01
Community Member
Hi Viewmont, we have opened the link on a similar scam and have a Mac with no virus protection should I be purchasing some right now? I am computer illiterate.
Message 53 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

Hi Viewmont, we have opened the link on a similar scam and have a Mac with no virus protection should I be purchasing some right now? I am computer illiterate.

Normally the emails that you will receive from this type of thing are phishing - they want you to give them your details - rather than anything containing viruses or malware(but they may)

Mac operating systems are not as prone to viruses or malware as windows based, but you should run some security software. Especially if you use it to store or transmit any personal or financial information.
Message 54 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

It's amusing how Mac and Linux users think that they are inherently "safe" and don't need any protection from online attacks. Read the following link:

http://antivirus.about.com/od/macintoshresource/tp/macvirusfaqs.htm

Message 55 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

sharrlee
Community Member
I found a great car on Carpoint, got in contact with owner finally through email and got the story they are out of state with a sick child. They will ship the car to our place at their cost and we had 5 days to check the car to make our minds up if we wanted the vehicle, if we didn't want the car the transport company will take it back at no cost to us. We had to send money via Western Union first. But they are doing it all through Ebay Vehicle Protection Program (Which is no operating now as I checked) So I really think this is a scam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 56 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

bump ety bump
TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 57 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

cozarama
Community Member
Okay, Now I am really worried. I sent my full name address and phonenumber to some one this morning- then thought I should do some research before going further.
All the evidence points to this seller being a scammer, what can I do to protect myself now that they have this info about me?
cursing myself for being so trusting
Message 58 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

bumping for Jamescarlton
Message 59 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

Hi All,
Got one of these emails today about a car but it actually came from a bigpond address. Beware guys they are getting sneakier!
Thanks
Message 60 of 117
Latest reply