is this fake?

2009mell
Community Member
hi people, have been in contact with a seller for car found on the trading post site. Deal is good, but is it too good? Apparently the owner just moved to uk after divorce. Car is meant to be at transport company in Aust, revs check confirmed what it is and where its registered.
My problem is, the owners email tells me that she has a contract with ebay to sell the car through them... then says...
deal will go like this (remember Ive never used ebay for more than small stuff).
1, i give her my details and shipping address
2, she informs ebay and ebay sends me an invoice for amount payable
3, i pay ebay and the car is "shipped" to me at no cost to me
4, i have 5 days to have the car inspected and decide whether i want it.
5, if i want it ebay pays her, if i dont, she sends for the car, ebay refunds my money and thats the end of that......

Is this a SCAM? Or is this a legitimate way for difficult situation sales to be managed by ebay????
Please Help, still waiting for ebay support to get back to me..
Message 1 of 117
Latest reply
116 REPLIES 116

is this fake?

My partner and I just had a similar experience with near word for word emails!! We found the listing on Facebook Marketplace. It was for a white BMW 330 with about 21,000kms for ony $8,500. Beware!!!!!!

Message 111 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

ross.sue7
Community Member
Im glad i found this site as i too have found a vehicle on Cairns buy sell & same story, i got this car through a a divorce settlement, im in the airforce and have Ebay doing the transaction for me and that i have to give her my full details to give to ebay so they can make contact With me🤦🏽‍♀️
Message 112 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

agrav9486
Community Member

Message 113 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

I got the same thing though FB also. Just as well I’ll checked this site out, was getting the $$ to pay for . I checked her profile out and said she pass away years ago . Thanks guys I appreciate your information. I nearly got caught . I got EBay checking it out also . 

Cheers  Chris

Message 114 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

I received this exact email too 

Message 115 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

Terrible to try and scam people out of there $$$

Message 116 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

I've never used any ebay forum and just browsing and saw this post. I have come across the same exact word for word sell. I saw a beautiful caravan and 4-wheel drive for sale on facebook marketplace. I enquired about the caravan only. RRP around $55K but selling for $5500. 1. Recently divorced, works for the airforce and leaving AU within 7 days and needs quick sale.  Funnily enough the van was listed in a suburb near to myself. I wanted to physically see the van however no viewing address was provided upon request. I was told the van was part of divorce settlement. Provide my name and address so she would provide this ebay with whom had a contract with to sell. If ebay determines I was the successful buyer then ebay would contact me and set up the purchase details. I called ebay and was told to ask for the item number as ebay only sold items that were listed and had an item number. I asked the seller for the item number and rego or chassis number of the van. I was told to first provide my details then all of this would be provided and I had 1 day to do this. I never provided the information and never heard back. I don't have to 2nd guess myself now that I have rad the posts. 

Message 117 of 117
Latest reply