21 DAY HOLD FINANCIAL SERVICE OMBUDSMAN WANTS TO HEAR FROM YOU

Having lodged a complaint against Pay Pal and Ebay in regards to illegally freezing funds and also referring the matter to the privacy commisioner.  The Financial Services Ombudsman also wants to hear about accounts where funds have been placed under the 21 day hold. Their office is anticipating an across board deluge of complaints and they wish to be advised of individual cases as believe this is a breach of law.

Message 1 of 524
Latest reply
523 REPLIES 523

Re: 21 DAY HOLD FINANCIAL SERVICE OMBUDSMAN WANTS TO HEAR FROM YOU

your money will be held 21 days and should one or more of your wonderful buyers decide to say its not what you described you may never see your money from that item. its become a nightmare for small sellers. have you read the post about the watch being called a fake? under the title "i have a feeling we fell for a scam" thats what can happen selling overseas. what a headache!

Message 361 of 524
Latest reply

@a-a3663 wrote:

Well this sucks.

I deactivated my account years ago and recently decided to start selling again. I'll be a very small volume seller, simply clearing out the years of outgrown kids clothes and the like.

The main reason I'm doing it is that we have huge medical bills and anything tha makes even a tiny dent in them is a bonus. 

I assume I'll be subjected to this as my ID is only about a month old? 

I'm already disgusted by the fact postage now attracts a fee as well, but surely there's a ton of small sellers out there who use the funds from the buyer to pay the post? I mean sheesh, we have four kids and with the huge unexpected medical costs we live week to week. 

So if I sell say $200 worth of items with 3 or 4 lots of post totalling between $30-$50, I'll be out of pocket on that post for at least 21 days? Is that how it works? Plus the fees?

Is it seriously going to COST me for the next 3+ weeks if I list now? I knew ebay had gone downhill big time but this is ridiculous.

Yes, unfortunately, that's exactly what will happen. Even if you had kept your old account, you'd still be subjected to the hold because you hadn't sold anything for awhile.

PayPal tell you there are ways to get your funds released sooner, but unless you ring them, they forget to release the funds. My suggestion is to buy some cheap $1 items from China. Most Chinese sellers give feedback as soon as you pay. Pendants or beads are usually pretty cheap and a lot start their auctions at 1c, so quite often you can get them for less than a $1 with free postage. It doesn't matter really if they don't arrive because you are just after the feedback (I do understand though that every cent counts at the moment. Most will arrive no problems).

When you sell stuff, make sure you upload tracking numbers because they supposedly release funds quicker when the tracking number shows as delivered. As I said though, often you have to ring them and tell them. Apparently the buyer leaving feedback isn't enough because of feedback manipulation. 

There should be info about it in the seller centre and also in PayPal.

Message 362 of 524
Latest reply

regarding tracking.

Even this isnt as simpleas it should be.

I send a lot overseas, and all items have a tracking number, but unless its sent "pack and track" (which is more than airmail) it isnt ACTUALLY trackable, except by calling australia post and having them investigate. Ebay or the buyer, or even yourself cant track it.

I upped my postage costs from $15 to $20 and now will only send pank and track overseas.

Another annoying thing i learned recently.

all the best

Message 363 of 524
Latest reply

Can anyone se my posts or am I talking to myself?๐Ÿ˜ฉ
Message 364 of 524
Latest reply

@qball28 wrote:
Can anyone se my posts or am I talking to myself?๐Ÿ˜ฉ

I think you're talking to yourself. Nothing wrong with that, you always get the right answer ๐Ÿ˜„

Message 365 of 524
Latest reply

• "Can anyone se my posts or am I talking to myself?"

Thats all I see from you. ?

Message 366 of 524
Latest reply

Almost at the bottom of the page..

BUMP

Message 367 of 524
Latest reply

Well, I've posted about 5 times to this thread.
Message 368 of 524
Latest reply

@qball28 wrote:
Well, I've posted about 5 times to this thread.

All your 6 posts are still there if you scroll back.

What makes you think you are talking to yourself?

Message 369 of 524
Latest reply

Hi Hmmar- SPier,

Following your opening paragraph, I can confirm that my recent sold items have also been held for a 21 day time? Not sure if this was part of the eBay process, or if illegal?

Regards

JC

Message 370 of 524
Latest reply