A Buying problem for the Sellers to offer suggestions.

This should really be a post for the Buying pages but, after constructive ideas from other Sellers as, being both a Seller and Buyer, I don't want to get all medieval on another Seller until my berserker rage irrevocably sets in and I become no longer responsible for my actions.

Bid on and won an auction on Saturday 16th and paid around an hour after auction end.  Seller had two days listed as their handling time.

Thursday evening (21st) sent a follow up to the Seller as the item was not yet marked as sent AND a negative had popped up in their feedback for ridiculously poor postage practices.

Receiving no response, sent another follow up early morning of 25th (today) and to 10 p.m. this evening (Sellers time) still no responses.

So, sitting at 6 full business days and 9 actual days since item purchased an paid for, I'm getting a little toey.

Obviously, all the usual thoughts of "life's happened" or Seller has had an issue of some kind have gone through my mind but, the negative FB that cropped up about the Sellers postage after my purchase has me a little leery now.

Any thoughts good people?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: A Buying problem for the Sellers to offer suggestions.

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:

"So, sitting at 6 full business days and 9 actual days since item purchased an paid for, I'm getting a little toey."

That suggests to me that they buyer expects their parcel to have arrived by now.

Give sellers a break for crying out loud. not all sellers mark items as sent.  There is nothing the seller can do until it gets to the 10 day mark anyway, chill

I'd agree with you if the purchase was only a few days ago and no inquiries had been sent, but the purchase was nearly two weeks ago and message was sent 4-5 days ago now, IMO receiving a response to a question from a seller isn't an unreasonable expectation, and the query was reasonable enough, as well. The seller doesn't need a "break", they need to answer the question. If they can't, and the item hasn't arrived in a reasonable time, they can hardly say the buyer's expectations were too high if they then go ahead and seek a refund. 

I didn't personally get the impression the OP fully expected to receive the item by now, but perhaps at least confirmation that the package is on its way. They haven't jumped to any conclusions, near as I can tell anyway, haven't yet opened any disputes, and have asked for advice on a purchase where the signs currently don't look to crash hot but aren't necessarily damning just yet - all things which should be encouraged if sellers need a break, IMO. 

I'd send them another message (I normally only give it about 2 days for them to answer, a little longer if I messaged near or on a weekend), then re-send and explain I'm contacting them again in case my first message didn't go through. 

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:

"So, sitting at 6 full business days and 9 actual days since item purchased an paid for, I'm getting a little toey."

That suggests to me that they buyer expects their parcel to have arrived by now.

Give sellers a break for crying out loud. not all sellers mark items as sent.  There is nothing the seller can do until it gets to the 10 day mark anyway, chill

Well, yeah, they could always mark it as sent so the buyer has some idea of what's happening. 

I know some sellers never mark items as sent but I think this is a pretty sloppy practice, and not exactly courteous to someone who's chosen them to give their hard-earned money to.  I've had a high percentage of sellers who never bother putting tracking numbers in and I think this is also sloppy.  I'm not talking about sellers who are flat out with sales, I mean small sellers.  I always put tracking numbers in because the buyer can see that I've posted it and they're more likely to wait patiently than to open up a not received case.  If I didn't put it in, people would have no proof that I've actually posted so they'd be more like to open a case, so by putting it in I'm saving myself some potential problems.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

I am a sloppy seller then in your eyes. my feedback suggest otherwise though. As I said some buyers expect too much.
Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

I agree Harley, some Buyers do expect FAR too much but, I think in my case you'll find I'm exceedingly realistic about postage times from ANYWHERE to WA and from WA to ANYWHERE, I send enough stuff interstate to be well aware of postage times.

My issue is that the item (still) has not been marked as posted and I've had no response from the Seller, not that it hasn't physically arrived.

The intent of this post was to get other Sellers thoughts on the situation and the most obvious, that I hadn't even considered, was simply that the Seller hadn't marked the item as posted or upload the tracking number.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

As an aside Harley, you missed one of the key points I made in my opening, I'm actually a Seller here as well so fully appreciate unreasonable Buyer behaviour and am at pains to ensure I avoid such behaviour myself, I know this site creates enough angst and agony for Sellers as it is.

.........and, just in case you were having a go at me (which I'm sure you weren't).......Who took the jam out of your doughnut???  Man LOL

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

I tend to agree....somewhat.

Sellers dont get a "break". If a sellers handling time is two days, an item should be posted WITHIN those two days. Period.

"Life" happens to everyone, all the time. All sellers need to take "life" into consideration, and have alternate methods of getting the item posted, in time, for when things do happen / go wrong.

I cant imagine too many sellers are in a coma and cannot communicate to anyone at all to get an item posted.

I live in a rural area and the only other person, with the only car, at my house is currently in hospital. The closest Post Office is a 20 minute drive away. Amazingly, I still manage to get every item posted in one business day.

I guess Im like that because I am a completely unforgiving buyer. If you promise a standard of service as a seller/ company, then thats EXACTLY what I expect, and what I am PAYING MONEY for, not just the item, but the whole deal.   Sellers personal issues are NOT the buyers problem.

A sellers should ALWAYS mark as sent. This is part of communicating with the buyer. If they know that they can do that, they should, or get a neg for poor communication.  I expect to be notified when a package is posted. I think thats a reasonable expectation.

this is also Ebay - theres a million sellers here. A poor experience from one seller reflects on all of us. Mulitply that by the thousands and we are all lsoing business. Sellers here have a responsibility to themselves, and the seller community as a whole.

However, .. I also disagree. lol

Some sellers dont know about marking the item sent, because, well, they arent the brightest, or not regular sellers. A casual seller may not even log into Ebay more than once a week - they may not have seen your emails yet. That doesnt make it ok, but thats the risk you take when buying from less experienced, or hobby sellers.

Its only been 8 days, so, 6 working days max?  So if the seller had posted your item SAME DAY you paid, you would ony have received it today,at the earliest.

So relax. Give it a few more days and if it doesnt turn up, open a case.  Kid of suprised you jumped at writing letters / posting here about this so early. Not even I would have.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

Just an update to close this one off.

Item the original subject of this post kept not arriving so followed up with the Seller another couple of times with nil response.

During this time another Buyer left the Seller neg FB regarding an INR for an item purchased day after my purchase. 

Viewing the Sellers FB, it was reasonable to assume they were still being fairly active ond visiting their account fairly regularly as FB for purchases was coming in fairly frequently. 

As last resort opened an INR and Seller still failed to respond.

Really unfortunate that, out of only three sales, the Seller had three unhappy Buyers when, for one of them at least, all it would have taken was one or two messages to sort out whatever their issue was.  Even if they'd been unhappy with the closing sale price I'd have been a bit shirty but, I'd have copped it and let it go as a Cancellation.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply