A little help please!

hi,

So i sold an authentic LV bag couple days ago through ebay. I shipped the package out to the buyer. Everything was ok. The next day the buyer text me that he/she took the package into an LV store to get a replacement part and they told him/her that my product was really good quaility fake. In my eyes it's not fake as i walked into the LV store in my location to purchase in yr 2006/2007. Because i've misplaced the authenticity paperwork/receipt i decided i will full refund the buyer the price he/she bought plus the postage even though my listing says no refund. 

Question is the buyer is asking me to pay for the refund for package to be sent back to me. Is it my job to pay for the refund as i'm the seller even though if i receive the item back, he/she will get the full refund of item and shipping she/he paid me? Do i lose out $10-15?

Regards,

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

A little help please!

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If the buyer opens a dispute through ebay for the item being a fake, you will have to pay the return postage as well as refund the original payment made by the buyer.

And you will get a defect.

If you do it before the buyer involves ebay you may avoid the defect.

If you ever want to sell designer goods on ebay you should be able to prove their authenticity as 99% of them are fakes.  Not only is it illegal to sell fakes but it is also illegal to own them.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

A little help please!

Has the buyer opened a dispute, or just sent a message? If she opens a dispute through eBay's money back guarantee for item not as described then yes, you have to pay the return postage. If she opens the same dispute through PayPal then she would pay for the return postage.

As you still have low feedback, a defect could affect your seller rating significantly if she opens a dispute. If she hasn't opened a dispute, I personally would offer her the refund plus return postage costs. Tell her to send it back with tracking and when you've received it, you'll give her the refund. Reinforce that you will pay the return costs. Tell her that there is no need to open a return dispute as you are more than happy to deal with it just via eBay messages.

If it was a change of mind return (which it doesn't sound like it is), then she'd have to pay return postage and she would only be entitled to the item price back, no postage.

Do you think you still have the authenticity certificate somewhere at home? If you think you do, see if you can find it before you relist it. There are so many good fakes on eBay (and not so good fakes) that it's best to show proof that it's genuine. Plus, LV often get listings shut down as there is no proof whether they are genuine or not, so they are all treated as being fake.

Edited to add: I was typing too slow Lyndal! SNAP!

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

A little help please!

the buyer hasn't open any kind of dispute regarding the item as of yet. So far it's all done by ebay reply messaging system. We are trying to come to an agreement but buyer believes that i have to pay for the return postage cost. After i receive the item back and i refund her the full price (item price plus postage for me to send to her) does that i end up losing $10-$15 out of my pocket? i know i should of had the paperwork before i listed the item, it's my fault for not so that's why im offering full refund plus postage that he/she paid me. 

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

A little help please!

Unfortunately you will lose the amount of the return postage, which is why you should have all the paperwork in order before listing designer goods.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

A little help please!

If the buyer opens a dispute claiming item is fake and can prove it with verification for LV, then she will receive a full refund including postage, AND eBay will advise her to DESTROY and DISPOSE of the fake item as fake items are not allowed to be posted.   That's what I was told to do when I purchased my first MAC product, a 180 colour eyeshadow pallet, which I didn't know was fake until someone told MAC don't make 180 colour pallets. I emailed MAC and they confirmed this.

Have never bought LV before so don't know, but when you purchased the bag originally, did the LV store take your details. Maybe you  can see if they have your details on file from the purchase which will verify its genuine. Just a thought.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

A little help please!

Giving the buyer the return postage is the easiest way to avoid a formal claim. In the big scheme of things it isn't a lot of money, think of it as a goodwill gesture. The buyer will not need to return if they can show it is not genuine. Then you would be out the full refund, the item, and eBay will have you on record as selling a fake. Even if it isn't.

I would pay the shipping in full, apologise for no longer having the paperwork, and say something like you are giving a full refund even though the bag was purchased from an authorised stockist, as customer satisfaction is important to you.

Do not relist the item on eBay unless you do find the paperwork.

Think of it as a bit of a learning process, too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply