AUSTRALIA PPOST SMALL PARCEL RIP-OFF

I have a store on eBay and sell a lot of small items.  Since Australia Post dumped its 250g small parcel option, the cheapest small parcel option is a 500g satchel at $8.25.  This makes it bery hard to sell low cost items that are too bulky to fit into an envvelope. I have checked up on the US and UK postage options for small parcels. In the US, you can send a small parcel under 85g for AU$2.17 and under this system, you can go up in one ounce invrements to a maximum of 370g for $3.95.  

In The UK, you can send a parcel up to 1kg for on.y $4.41.  We are being ripped off. 60c is quite reqwonqble to post a letter, but why should the smallest parcel cost us $8.25?

I have written a protest letter to Australai Post, Nick Xenophon and other politicians.  I urge you to as well. eBay sellers and buyers are being reipped off to the tune of millions of dollars per year.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Try using click and send where it is only $7.15 postage in the 500gm satchel and it gives you seller protection.

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

it is more than 1 years since the 250gr parcel was dropped, a bit late now to complain. There have been at least 2 price rises since it was dropped.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

@stirling-tools wrote:

I have a store on eBay and sell a lot of small items.  Since Australia Post dumped its 250g small parcel option, the cheapest small parcel option is a 500g satchel at $8.25. 

It is currently cheaper to post small parcels under 500g for only $6.95 without using a satchel.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

I'm sure when we have a population density similar to the US and the UK, the consequent economies of scale will bring our postage down to those levels.

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

It does not make any sense to me that you are using 500g satchels for $8.25 while anybody can post their products in a huge box that does not even fit into a huge 5kg satchel for $6.95 as long as it is under 500g. Just yesterday I posted one of my products in a 38x28x10cm box for $6.95 because it was 460g packed.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

Agree with ozstockman - the most we pay for items under 500g is $6.95 (used to be $6.30 twelve months ago I think, but that excluded tracking which is now included). You can buy empty satchells from most office stores for about 10c each if you want to use satchells.

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

Hi Stirling-tools

Sorry to hear that you are not happy with us. I’d like to clarify our postage prices.

As other posters have mentioned, Australians can send a small parcel (under 500 grams) to anywhere in Australia for $6.95.  Tracking is included as a standard feature as long as you lodge your item over the counter at a Post Office.  

Depending on the size of your product, you may be able to send it in a large letter, which would be cheaper that the small parcel cost.  

If you are curious about our other postage costs please visit our postage calculator here: 

http://auspost.com.au/apps/postage-calculator.html

I hope this information has helped. Please come back to me if you have any further questions.

Regards

Paul

Australia Post eBay Store

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

Someone who works in a PO has told me that there are a whole lot more price rises than what is online - wonder if he's 'having me on'.

Another problem, what can U do when the scenario below happens, this problem has yet to be sorted - the buyer is working on it & I can't get to my local PO till tomorrow.  I have suggested the buyer tell me at which PO she can pick-up, & then put on the package to hold at that PO, that is not send in around the countryside again.

By the list, the parcel never stayed in one place long enough to be collected & evidently it wasn't carded.  It was lodged on Sep 6 & arrived back here on Sep 20.  

The buyers address was on both her eBay & Paypal accounts & it was very clearly printed in very big print on the package.  The place the package was heading was just north of Epping, near Craigieburn Road East & a long long long long way from Whittlesea.

Tracking number           xxxxxxxxxx1092               Service             Parcel Post

Where is your item?          Sent                   In transit                      Delivered

Date/Time                         Activity                             Location

20/09/13 08:32              Uncollected by customer                                      My local PO VIC

20/09/13 08:27              Awaiting Collection at SAN REMO LPO                    My local PO VIC

20/09/13 08:17              Transferred to                                  Our local distribution centre VIC

20/09/13 06:57              In Transit                                         Our local distribution centre VIC

20/09/13 06:49              In Transit                                         Our local distribution centre VIC

18/09/13 08:55              Returned to sender                                             THOMASTOWN VIC

18/09/13 05:16              In Transit                                                           THOMASTOWN VIC

17/09/13 08:16              Awaiting Collection at EPPING POST SHOP                   EPPING VIC

17/09/13 04:09              In Transit                                                           THOMASTOWN VIC

16/09/13 09:48              Redirected                                                         EPPING VIC

12/09/13 12:55              Delivered                                                           WHITTLESEA VIC

12/09/13 09:09              On board with driver for delivery today                  WHITTLESEA VIC

11/09/13 09:47              Transferred to                                                    EPPING VIC

09/09/13 09:14              Awaiting Collection at EPPING POST SHOP                   EPPING VIC

06/09/13 15:03              Received by Australia Post                                   My local PO VIC

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

There is a real problem with parcel mail going to the new subdivisions north of Epping. It's been in the papers a few times about the lack of deliveries to that area. I'll see if I can find something.

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply