Adding insurance to parcel postage for buyers for items > $100

As we all know Australia Post will cover a parcel up to $100 in case of damage or loss. Wouldn't it be a good idea if the insurance could be added to the postage if a buyer or seller wanted to insure that $1000 item they are sending in the hands of Australia post. This could be added to the postage services options like tracking is!! Or the option could easily be given to the buyer at check out!!! Why hasn't this been done?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Because it is up to the seller to purchase extra cover, or to carry the risk themself

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

@drifter2047 wrote:

Or the option could easily be given to the buyer at check out!!! Why hasn't this been done?

It was - sellers could add a charge for insurance and then buyers could choose to pay it or not when they checked out. The option was withdrawn about ten years ago now, apparently at the time buyers were under the impression paying for postal insurance = eBay buyer protection of a sort, and buyers got all mad at the thought of having to pay extra for basic buyer protections... or something (this was before the eBay MBG, but around the time PayPal was mandatory, so from what I can gather buyers thought they were buying insurance from eBay or PayPal?) 

Obviously, if that was the reason, it was a problem with how eBay communicated what kind of insurance they were purchasing to people rather than the concept itself, but building insurance into item prices / postage costs is easy enough, regardless, and I personally wouldn't consider it optional on a $1000 item. 

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

If you want to pay for it, and the seller wont comply,  find another seller

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Because it is up to the seller to purchase extra cover, or to carry the risk themself

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

???

It's called 'Extra cover' and the option is there to purchase over the counter

Up to $5,000 extra cover

If youโ€™d like extra peace of mind when sending an item, you can add Extra Cover. It provides loss or damage cover up to the specified value of your item (up to $5,000) while itโ€™s being carried by Australia Post.

Optional extras (domestic) - Australia Post (auspost.com.au)

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Duhhh! Obviously extra cover is an option for a seller at the Post office or when generating a label. It is the sellers responsibility to ensure the item is covered and packed properly.

I have recently bought some heavy computing items and the seller will not pay for extra cover and will not offer it.

I have offered (communicated through email to the seller) that I will  send extra money for adequate packing and extra cover as the item is worth like $500 and it is a very heavy item (10 -12 kg). 

But no Joy or response which is disheartening!

I guess if a buyer could add extra cover to the eBay invoice and pay extra it would not guarantee the seller would do spend the money on it!! So I guess my idea is useless..

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

@drifter2047 wrote:

Or the option could easily be given to the buyer at check out!!! Why hasn't this been done?

It was - sellers could add a charge for insurance and then buyers could choose to pay it or not when they checked out. The option was withdrawn about ten years ago now, apparently at the time buyers were under the impression paying for postal insurance = eBay buyer protection of a sort, and buyers got all mad at the thought of having to pay extra for basic buyer protections... or something (this was before the eBay MBG, but around the time PayPal was mandatory, so from what I can gather buyers thought they were buying insurance from eBay or PayPal?) 

Obviously, if that was the reason, it was a problem with how eBay communicated what kind of insurance they were purchasing to people rather than the concept itself, but building insurance into item prices / postage costs is easy enough, regardless, and I personally wouldn't consider it optional on a $1000 item. 

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

If you want to pay for it, and the seller wont comply,  find another seller

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I fail to see the issue.

Insurance protects the seller. If the seller chooses not to insure an expensive item  and things go awry, eBay's money back guarantee should provide adequate protection for the buyer.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Except in the case of delivery to an incorrect address where the package isn't retrievable etc - PayPal won't provide protection, and ebay only might provide protection. Insurance has its place, it's just that for buyers that place is a lot smaller than it is for sellers. 

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I am usually a seller and I always get extra cover with Australia Post on  items over $100 so that if it gets destroyed by Australia Post or lost, I can recover the money for me as a seller for the item.

eBay and PayPal will look after the buyer sure.

When I purchased a $500 computer from someone interstate they would not insure it.

As a buyer I offered to pay for the extra to insure it they refused and sent it anyways.

The item turned up with a smashed screen and a hole through the box and it was clearly thrown around in a truck as all the corners of the box were pushed in. It had landed on something sharp that pierced the box and smashed the screen. As the buyer I put a case in to eBay item arrived not as described and got a refund. The idiot seller had to leave the laptop with Australia Post and he received $100 for it after a lot of stuffing around. Unfortunately Australia Post keep the item. The seller lost $400..  I guess there is nothing that can help sellers that don't insure items > $100  

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

So what is your answer to your own question?

That the seller should have paid extra to not get cover for their inadequately packed item?

Or are you advertising that you, like 99% of sellers, pack your items adequately.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply