Advice for a newbie please

I am a relative newbie at selling on EBay.  I have started out just by listing stuff I or my kids don't want anymore. I have watched lots of YouTube videos about selling on Ebay. I have spent soooo much time on getting good photos with white backgrounds etc (the Ebay background remover isn't that helpful). I have tried to do SEO & done heaps of research for pricing my items. I have sold a couple of items over the last several months but most of my stuff isn't even getting any views. What am I doing wrong? 

With regards to white backgrounds, I have noticed a lot of product photos in Ebay stores don't use white backgrounds at all, so a bit confused about that advice.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Advice for a newbie please

@geeky-meeks wrote:

Ok, so the dress you have quoted is a formal dress with lots of delicate diamonte beading on the bodice & sleeves which also adds a bit of bulk. It can't be folded up too small that easily without possibly wrecking the beading.  So that postage price includes all the packaging including bubble wrap etc to ensure it's safety in transit.  The box/satchel would have to be a least 50cm wide to allow for the bodice & sleeves not to be folded. 

I love the frock, it reminds me a bit of one I wore to my son's wedding, as in colour, size and beading. I agree that for that price, it needs to be extremely carefully boxed. I was glad to see you revised that listing to lower the price slightly and include postage as that will be big factor in someone's decision to buy or not.

I'm speaking as a buyer here, trying to help you out with the thought processes buyers may go through. Although I think the frock looks great, I would hesitate to buy for the simple reason I couldn't try it to see how the style looked on me and what the fit was like. Plus, if I had a problem with sizing, I could not return it.

That won't necessarily apply to every buyer though as some may be familiar with the brand and know the sizing. I find sizing differs across brands so you may be best to put measurements in the ad as well.

Your feedback score is low but it is coming across as an honest ad.  It may help if you put the original price you paid for it in the ad too, although as a buyer, I don't always believe those quotes. It gives a ball park figure the items might go for though.

Maybe also say the frock will be sent carefully boxed.

I would not advocate you accept 30 day returns on this sort of item as some buyers are dishonest and  might buy it, wear it once to their function then return it. But the worry about fit is what would make me hesitate to spend that much.

On the other hand, I will quite often take a risk buying cheaper items online. What we found when selling clothes/shoes was we did best when selling everyday items in good brands & excellent condition. If you are able to get hold of items like that & list at a moderate price, you may see a higher turnover.

Message 41 of 42
Latest reply

Re: Advice for a newbie please

I thought this might be helpful, some advice provided to me today by an ebay chat staff member:

"Though eBay do not have any fix steps which can help you to boost your sales, but as a customer support and fellow seller I can help you with few generic steps below which may help you to boost your sales. 1. List new items every day 2. Try an eBay promoted listings campaign 3. Use keywords to attract views 4. Ship fast and free (whenever possible) 5. Remove negative reviews (You can Join us here on chat for the same) 6. Offer a generous return policy 7. Share your listing on social media 8. Sell at the right price 9. Maintain great seller ratings 10. Include enough high-quality images per product 11. Provide great customer service 12. Write clear descriptions etc"

Message 42 of 42
Latest reply