Am I being scammed

Hi all,

First time poster so hope this is going in the right place.

I recently sold 22 of the same item (some items I purchased overseas after seeing a small opening in the local market).

Anyway I was contacted by the winner of one of the items (a new buyer, joined the same day they bought the item) after they received it and was told that there was a hole in the clingwrap on the item and they couldnt trust it was legit and wanted a refund. They also mentioned they live near me (they do) and that they can drop the item off for a refund.

I explain to the buyer the item is legit, provide the manufacturers website I got the item from as well as my order number so they can phone to verify that it is in fact legit. I also added that I will gladly take a refund and they can either drop it off or post it back.

20 minutes later they lodge a case with ebay - item not as described along the lines of the item is fake and they contacted me but I didnt reply. I accepted the return and replied again saying that the item is not fake and they can either post it back or drop it off - I dont mind either.

They buyer has gone quiet and isnt replying to any of my emails and when they do its a repeat of the item is fake, where did I get it from etc...

Am not quite sure what to do now, do I escalate this to ebay or just leave it be.

Am trying to think of what the angle is or how I can avoid loosing both the money and the item.

Any adivce would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Am I being scammed

Even if they do return it in person ONLY refund the same way they paid for it.

If it was via paypal then once you have the item and checked it is in the same condition it was sent then issue the refund via paypal so they can not try and a get a second refund.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Am I being scammed

imastawka
Honored Contributor

And DO NOT ask ebay to step in on the case.

They will automatically side with the buyer, and they get to keep the item and get a refund.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Am I being scammed

Just to add if it is returned either in person or by mail if it is not still in the original wrapping you sent it in I would not refund as this means it has been opened and is not in the condition it was sent.

Ask them for photos of what the problem is.

Communicate only via the dispute so ebay can read it if need be.

Again though do not refund till you have the item back.

If they return it via the dispute and it is not in the condition you sent it call ebay and tell them you do not want them refunded and explain why.

If you can get written proof what you are selling is genuine then add that to the dispute as well.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Am I being scammed

Thanks for that. Seems weird as I had a chat to ebay support the other night just to make sure we are waiting on the buyer and not me and they mentioned that I can escalate it if I want. I said no. Glad I did now.

Not sure how a buyer can keep the item and the money, surely this is theft?
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Am I being scammed

It was a brand new item in the box factory cling wrapped from the manufacturer. Think of a usb stick size item boxed and wrapped.

I asked them if they have opened it but I never got a reply to that.

So if they cling wrap is opened then what options do I have, I assume ebay is just going to side with the buyer no matter what I do?

I have a strange feeling that the item is not actually going to be returned, the ebay resolution thing is waiting on the item to be returned to me.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Am I being scammed

If you take it to ebay then yes, ebay sides with the buyer each and every time no matter what

Ebay is all for the buyer I'm afraid

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Am I being scammed

If they do not respond to the dispute or return it , it will time out and close in your favor

If they return it, it must have tracking to prove it was returned and it is then the seller that can close it once it is back and in the condition it was sent.

So if the do return it and if it is out of the wrapper THEN CALL EBAY AND TELL THEM THE BUYER CHOSE TO RETURN IT SAYING THERE WAS A HOLE IN THE WRAPPING BUT THEY HAVE REMOVED IT AND OPENED IT AND IT IS NO LONGER IN THE CONDITION IT WAS SENT.

Ooops sorry nail hit the caps lock 😞

Just wait and see if the buyer makes contact again.

Do not contact them unless you need to respond to anything as they might change their mind and it will time out.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Am I being scammed

@lawrage1 wrote:

Hi all,

First time poster so hope this is going in the right place.

I recently sold 22 of the same item (some items I purchased overseas after seeing a small opening in the local market).

Anyway I was contacted by the winner of one of the items (a new buyer, joined the same day they bought the item) after they received it and was told that there was a hole in the clingwrap on the item and they couldnt trust it was legit and wanted a refund. They also mentioned they live near me (they do) and that they can drop the item off for a refund.

I explain to the buyer the item is legit, provide the manufacturers website I got the item from as well as my order number so they can phone to verify that it is in fact legit. I also added that I will gladly take a refund and they can either drop it off or post it back.

20 minutes later they lodge a case with ebay - item not as described along the lines of the item is fake and they contacted me but I didnt reply. I accepted the return and replied again saying that the item is not fake and they can either post it back or drop it off - I dont mind either.

They buyer has gone quiet and isnt replying to any of my emails and when they do its a repeat of the item is fake, where did I get it from etc...

Am not quite sure what to do now, do I escalate this to ebay or just leave it be.

Am trying to think of what the angle is or how I can avoid loosing both the money and the item.

Any adivce would be appreciated.

Thanks.

For the buyer to ask the red part makes me wonder if they are trying to get more info to get them and sell them themself 

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Am I being scammed

Thanks for all the advice, will be able to stop worrying about this now and just wait it out and see where it goes.

Guess im pretty lucky that this is the first real hiccup in 10 years.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply