Am I doing something wrong, feeling disheartened :(

Hi Guys,

Ive recently listed a few items for sale and have had no luck (I think the views have all been me). Im feeling a bit deflated, am I doing somthing wrong? Ebay sent me a message to improve my listings but I cant. I know its very competitive but any advise would be much appreciated if you have the time to have a quick look. Should I be auctioning? I just dont know, I was going to sell for a few months and then open a store but now Im seriously doubting myself. Thanking you all in advance. Amy 

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Am I doing something wrong, feeling disheartened :(

Thank you

I know it seems dear but they were not cheap to buy (imported from overseas) the others are charging at least $30 more. They are really well made but I did worry about the price and postage. Im thinking of taking them to a local market. Should I do an auction?

Thanks again all advise is much appreciated

Message 11 of 37
Latest reply

I had a look at the listings for toddler's plush costumes.

I think people are wary of your zero percentage for starters.

I also think you are too cheap in comparison to others.  Another alarm bell

for wary buyers. (What's wrong with them/seller)

My advice would be to put the price UP $15 and offer free postage like

the other sellers.

But, yes, warm weather would have a lot to do withh it.

Message 12 of 37
Latest reply

Have you thought about selling internationally?   As gorgeous as the costumes are they are definitely more weather appropriate for other countries at present.

There was recently a US seller asking about postage etc to send her items to Australia....she was selling dress up costumes for little girls...very pretty but she was asking hundreds of $$$$ for them.  To me the prices were so outrageous that I would not even consider buying them but I can't help thinking if US buyers are prepared to pay prices like that then they would jump at the sort of prices you are asking.

Message 13 of 37
Latest reply

Thank you

A fantasic reply, I really appreciate your advice and the links to your store. I will spend a good few hours editing and improving my description, Im happy to express, post, pick up whatever it takes.I dont want to come across as desparate but I really hope this works as Ive quit my job at Raine & Horne (property manager) to stay at home with my baby so I will do what it takes to make it. Im not looking for millions of dollars, just a bit extra so I can look after Harper at home. The sizes are weird (from supplier) so all I can provide will be the measurments. My friend tried to have a look and she couldnt even find them on ebay yet it didnt give me much of a category option. I was just trying to get a bit of experience as a seller before diving into a store but now I wonder if a store would be better? I have more stock coming. Its been a process I tell you 😉

Message 14 of 37
Latest reply

Free postage it is! thanks so much for taking the time to help me

Message 15 of 37
Latest reply

Very good point,

I am happy to do so, whatever it takes. Do you suggest going to my local post office and asking about international shipping costs? Or is there advice here on ebay (Like the postage options they give you when listing)  thanks again, I must look like such an L plater lol

Message 16 of 37
Latest reply

@thefunkystork wrote:

Very good point,

I am happy to do so, whatever it takes. Do you suggest going to my local post office and asking about international shipping costs? Or is there advice here on ebay (Like the postage options they give you when listing)  thanks again, I must look like such an L plater lol

I do of course know zero about the items (being an old MM) but they are very cute.

However the most impressive part here is the OP's willingness to thank each poster for their advice individually ! How refreshing !

Hope you slay them amy !!!

Message 17 of 37
Latest reply

An L plater you may be but at least you have the sense to ask for help.

I am not a seller so I think I will leave it to those with more experience of postage to answer.  But I do know that if the items will fit in a flat rate satchel that will be your most cost effective postage Australia wide.  Overseas postage is going to be expensive, but it is just as bad for items coming into Australia so don't let it put you off.

Another poster has mentioned your low feedback.....it is also rather old.  You could give it a bit of a boost by buying a few cheap items.  It makes you look as though you have some current ebay experience.   Try a few $1 items from China...the Chinese sellers usually give feedback as soon as you pay so you could see an instant increase in your feedback for a very small outlay.

Message 18 of 37
Latest reply

@thefunkystork wrote:

Hi Digital Ghost

Thank you so much what a great reply. I will definatly take your advice. Thank you for being so thorough, do I say the stock is in Australia? (Its in my spare room) or that Im an Australian seller? I would hate to offend a potential customer, but I do want my inventry to move. I have more summer stock coming. I really appreciate your advice and will get to work tonight.

Kind regards

Glad I could help, even if just a little 🙂

Regarding what to say about item location, I would probably just have something like "in stock and ready to ship for quick post within Australia" or similar (I would, however, recommend having a handling time of around 2 business days, even if you intend to post the same or next day - that's a personal preference, really [I run a store on another eBay ID], but the advantage in doing it that way is that it makes eBay's delivery estimates a bit more realistic, so you reduce the instances of people expecting items to arrive in just a couple of days when they are in a regional location). 

I'd also recommend expanding a little on your return policy - some conditions for return are especially advisable, even if they seem like they should be a given or common sense. If you make returns unconditional, it's a lot harder to say no to someone who may have bought something for a one-off event and then decides to see if they can return it (not trying to scare you off, just making sure you have some things in place that are fair to you and your buyers - the most important one being that items must be in the same new condition as when sent in order to be eligible for a change of mind return). 

Message 19 of 37
Latest reply

I certainly don't go along with the advice to keep the description short and expand the terms and conditions, IMO terms and conditions should be as short as possible, expanded under the postage and payment tab if you wish.

Why not use up some of your 40 free listings selling second hand clothing or household items to build up some recent seller feedback, don't price them too ow that you are losing money but as long as you at least break even look on it as a marketing stratergy.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 20 of 37
Latest reply