Am I doing something wrong, feeling disheartened :(

Hi Guys,

Ive recently listed a few items for sale and have had no luck (I think the views have all been me). Im feeling a bit deflated, am I doing somthing wrong? Ebay sent me a message to improve my listings but I cant. I know its very competitive but any advise would be much appreciated if you have the time to have a quick look. Should I be auctioning? I just dont know, I was going to sell for a few months and then open a store but now Im seriously doubting myself. Thanking you all in advance. Amy 

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Am I doing something wrong, feeling disheartened :(

Thank you so much thecatspjs,

what a lovely thing to say, feeling more empowered already! I have a summer peacock costume coming so fingers crossed. I may have over done it for the first purchase but so many have a MQO of 200 or more, Im just trying to join the game.
Thanks again
Message 31 of 37
Latest reply

amyvezz - it is very hard getting established as a seller these days as there is so much competition around. My initial investment was $20.00 and my business just grew from there so it can happen.

As well as gumtree you can also set up on facebook at no cost.

If you are planning on doing this in the long term it could be worthwhile working out a business name and getting it registered as in the long term branding of your business is very important.

If you keep working at it and stay positive I am sure you can make it work.

Message 32 of 37
Latest reply

I would be including "Halloween" in your title and perhaps a few other relevant search criteria words such as baby, jumpsuit, playsuit, dress up, outfit etc...If someone searched for "baby halloween outfit" for example, yours would not show up. It may help to get more views and ultimately sales ...also check other competitors titles to see what words work for them for drawing in customers and what words have the most listings under them when you do a search etc.

Message 33 of 37
Latest reply

Hi your stock looks gorgeous i have a girls **bleep** cat  bub costume similar to these and its the only one out of my costumes that isnt moving  im not sure if there is a big call for this sort of thing and i have meausurements and detail and different angled photos all you can do is keep advertising all the best with it 

Message 34 of 37
Latest reply

@lane-ends wrote:

It  is hard to sell new commercial lines when you have low feedback. Do you have a bunch of cheap stuff you can auction off quickly to get your feeback count up/ Even buying a bunch of cheap items on this id will help.

you may know these as good quality but you dont have fb to prove it to cynical buyers.

It is a niche market and niche markets rely on reputation.

Some good advice there Lane Ends. I started a new account from scratch 18 months ago. I auctioned off and listed some cheap BINS right from the start, purely to get some feedback happening. It can be a bit dissapointing when you sell a good item cheapish and then dont get ANY feedback which happens a lot, but every now and then you jag another FB and they quickly build up. I met buyer resistance until I had around 30-40 good feedbacks, and after that, the feedback thing was not an issue. If anything people are less demanding and more forgiving of a new business, than an established one. Even now my main account cops more of a hammering from buyer attitudes than the newer smaller business, even though both sell similar products with exactly the same times for postage, questions answered etc. The new store has 0.37% defects, the old one hovers around 0.8%. ( twice as many unhappy customers ) The only difference is the size of the stores and number of feedbacks.

Message 35 of 37
Latest reply

As you can see I have very little actual item detail in my descriptions, I don't even use measurments, but the descriptions are eyecatching, include terms of sale, etc. And, to be honest, more words just looks more professional, even if the words don't actually say anything new.

Sorry DG, this was the comment I was responding to when I said I thought more description and less terms was the way to go in the body of the description and other terms should be in the postage and payment tab.. 

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 36 of 37
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

As you can see I have very little actual item detail in my descriptions, I don't even use measurments, but the descriptions are eyecatching, include terms of sale, etc. And, to be honest, more words just looks more professional, even if the words don't actually say anything new.

Sorry DG, this was the comment I was responding to when I said I thought more description and less terms was the way to go in the body of the description and other terms should be in the postage and payment tab.. 

Oh.... Smiley Embarassed 

Message 37 of 37
Latest reply