Anyone had a package come thru customs after 1 July that did not already have GST paid?

What is the actual process for under 1K items imported where the seller has not paid GST and it is considered a consumer purchase?

Message 1 of 44
Latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Anyone had a package come thru customs after 1 July that did not already have GST paid?

I actually bought that first KK bag @ my local pharmacy for $49.99 on runout special. Now some years down the track it has worn out & Yes! the first bag has Made In China labels. Not so fussed about the brand it was the useability of the bag for my daughter's needs that were more the point - Even when I bought the first one!

Message 41 of 44
Latest reply

Re: Anyone had a package come thru customs after 1 July that did not already have GST paid?

There weren't even any 2nd hand ones to buy!

Message 42 of 44
Latest reply

Not entirely sure Lyndal. I did put it in my cart & then when I went to pay the GST was added. I'm wondering if I'd not put it in my cart, but rather just bought it from my watch list, would I have had to pay the extra $4.95 to whomever? Which is why I added my experience to this thread.

Message 43 of 44
Latest reply

@redders_60 wrote:

Not entirely sure Lyndal. I did put it in my cart & then when I went to pay the GST was added. I'm wondering if I'd not put it in my cart, but rather just bought it from my watch list, would I have had to pay the extra $4.95 to whomever? Which is why I added my experience to this thread.

as your original post on this thread was 23rd July, and in that post you said “I just bought a handbag”, then you would have paid the GST even if you had bought it from your watch list. No doubt about that as the changes came in on 1st July.

Not sure why you are saying “to whomever” as it has been stated on this and other threads that eBay collect the GST as the Electronic Delivery Platform (EDP). eBay will be forwarding the GST collected to the ATO.

Spoiler
there have been some members on these boards suggesting that eBay might not give all the GST collected to the ATO.  I think that eBay are smart enough to realise that to do so is fraught with danger as the fines/penalties would be so high for companies that defraud the ATO, not to mention the damage it would cause to their brand.
Message 44 of 44
Latest reply