Ask Seller for Postage Quote

Hi folks,

I took the time to prepack an item I’m selling. I measured it & even took it to the post office to get the exact weight. I entered all of this information into EBAY when putting it up for sale. But local & international customers are told to “Ask Seller for Postage Quote”! This also puts my item at the expensive side of “Price + Postage” results because they’re not sorted properly.

I’d love to know what’s gone wrong.

Thanks for any tips.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Ask Seller for Postage Quote

@auskywalka wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys. You’ve given me a lot to think about.

For a new listing is it possible to stipulate that insurance must be taken out & will be calculated at the end of the auction?

I sold a phone a few months ago. In the listing I stated that insurance and signature on delivery were a given. Not negotiable. I reflected that in the postage cost. The buyer didn't complain. He seemed happy to be getting a cheap phone, that was less than a year old. In fact I didn't hear from the buyer after I posted.

The tracking never said delivered, so I initiated a claim for the insurance, just in case I did hear from the buyer saying he hadn't received it. The 60 days for feedback passed and I'd not heard from the buyer. AP had paid out on the insurance by that point, so I cashed in the money order they sent. Just like that. Not my fault their delivery person didn't scan the item and get the buyer to sign, given I had paid extra for SOD (or the buyer had). 

If you want to add insurance to the item, specify that in your description and add it to your postage cost. Insurance only covers the seller, but if you're going to charge it, mention it in the listing.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

Didn't we have something like that before and eventually worked out that the ebay calculator can't cope if it is over a certain length because of cubing?    I can't remember how it was fixed tho, sorry.   

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

the ebay postage calculator is a shocker, very unreliable.

i'm forever either taking a hit on under charges or refunding for over charges.

i measure exact, i buy a fancy set of scales to get correct weight.

but still i constantly scream when i see what ebay tells me buyers have paid.

no wonder i dont sell more when postage can be so far off reality

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

I've never had any problems with it but I don't use it very often these days.

Are you sure someone didn't buy it and get you to send it to someone in a different state? That would make it look as though it was way out.
Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

This BS is starting to OMO.
It's creating lengthy and unwarranted delays to using EBay - FIX IT
Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

How do you propose the Opening Poster fixes it?

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply