At my wits end with this Ebay drought!

I don't want to stop selling or leave Ebay, but this is ridiculous.

I have not had a sale since the 22nd of June and it was for less than $10.00

I do sell on other platforms, so I can definitely say that it's not the economy or the pandemic as I'm getting both domestic and international orders......just not on Ebay.

I looked at my Seller Hub this morning (reluctantly), and I am down 66% compared to last month (which was already very low) and I'm down a whopping 82% compared to last year!

Shop was trending upwards until the November last year and then literally it's like someone started slowly turning off the tap. I think the item specific requirements have made things worse.

Any thoughts on maybe changing my shop subscription? I'm currently on the Basic, but can change to the Featured if that might help. Do those with Featured Stores feel like they are getting more exposure?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I don't have a store, but have had a massive surge in sales over the last 2 weeks (over 50). I don't know what has changed, as some months I don't sell anything. I have actually struggled to keep up with recent sales, despite being on leave from my regular job.

Hopefully it's just a phase and things improve for you again soon. I had a look at your store, and you have some really nice stuff.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

I don't know about the sales - I've had a similar problem and I really think it has to do with Managed Payments (some buyers seem to think they have to sign up to buy) and some other issues I've posted about before.

However, I took a look at your items and they're great, but beware the famous white cat - that company is notoriously strict about people selling items using their fabric, and many people who are friends with "Betsy" have had listings removed recently; I saw a thread about it the other day.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

I hope I didn't come across as being cokky with my previous reply. I am stumped as to why I've had a surge in sales recently, when most months are zero to one at beat. I've had another 4 sales tonight.

I hope things improve for you jellybirddesigns.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

Any thoughts on maybe changing my shop subscription? I'm currently on the Basic, but can change to the Featured if that might help. Do those with Featured Stores feel like they are getting more exposure?

I think you could ask 100 different sellers about that and get nearly as many different answers (you'd be looking for a simple yes or no, of course, and you might even get enough to imply one way or the other, but all the underlying contextual information that can be taken  into account (which is often overlooked), is much more important than the actual sub change, eg one of the more obvious ones is do those who upgrade / downgrade alter their listing practices at all. 

The only way you could (potentially) know for sure if it made a difference would be to have multiple stores with consistent, typically non-seasonal sales numbers change their sub a few times a year and compare.

I don't know if any of the old tricks still have any merit to them - they typically involve adjusting listings or creating new ones. eg Stuff like new photos, rearranging keywords in titles, ending a listing and using sell similar, etc, staggering them so you have a couple of new listings every day, and so on. 

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Our business is a little all over the place at the moment. Most weeks from 2 accounts we sell 50-70 items. Some weeks low 40's. Take last week for example, we sold 12 items to one person and barely made it into the 40's yet the week before had well over 50. 

Hope you get some sales soon. If ours were that low I would be extremely concerned.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I think buyers are turning away from eBay and for some good reasons. Sounds like sellers are having an equally hard time. eBay May need to lift its game all round, instead of just hiding behind its auto botโ€ฆ

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Interesting reading

https://www.afr.com/companies/retail/ebay-s-revenue-growth-slows-despite-e-commerce-boom-20210531-p5... 

edit - Subscription only by the looks. but the leader gives you the general idea.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

I too have experienced quite a drop in sales recently. I have experienced quite moderate sales this year, averaging one per two days, but currently am down 30% on this time last year. Selling costs for August were 21% of total sales, which hurts even more. 

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply