At my wits end with this Ebay drought!

I don't want to stop selling or leave Ebay, but this is ridiculous.

I have not had a sale since the 22nd of June and it was for less than $10.00

I do sell on other platforms, so I can definitely say that it's not the economy or the pandemic as I'm getting both domestic and international orders......just not on Ebay.

I looked at my Seller Hub this morning (reluctantly), and I am down 66% compared to last month (which was already very low) and I'm down a whopping 82% compared to last year!

Shop was trending upwards until the November last year and then literally it's like someone started slowly turning off the tap. I think the item specific requirements have made things worse.

Any thoughts on maybe changing my shop subscription? I'm currently on the Basic, but can change to the Featured if that might help. Do those with Featured Stores feel like they are getting more exposure?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@digital*ghost wrote:

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

Any thoughts on maybe changing my shop subscription? I'm currently on the Basic, but can change to the Featured if that might help. Do those with Featured Stores feel like they are getting more exposure?

I think you could ask 100 different sellers about that and get nearly as many different answers (you'd be looking for a simple yes or no, of course, and you might even get enough to imply one way or the other, but all the underlying contextual information that can be taken  into account (which is often overlooked), is much more important than the actual sub change, eg one of the more obvious ones is do those who upgrade / downgrade alter their listing practices at all. 

The only way you could (potentially) know for sure if it made a difference would be to have multiple stores with consistent, typically non-seasonal sales numbers change their sub a few times a year and compare.

I don't know if any of the old tricks still have any merit to them - they typically involve adjusting listings or creating new ones. eg Stuff like new photos, rearranging keywords in titles, ending a listing and using sell similar, etc, staggering them so you have a couple of new listings every day, and so on. 

I do have multiple stores with regular / consistent sales but have only changed one from featured to basic and that was a couple of years ago. I reduced it because sales where gradually slowing over time as I reduced listing numbers ( ran it down ) with a view to eventually closing it.  The result ...... Sales went into overdrive for many months and have remained above where they where when it was a featured store to the point that I just keep it ticking over now as it is too good to close.

As to the question of whether my featured store gains better listing exposure than my two basic stores ......see above......It doesnt seem to make any difference. In fact one of my basic stores now outsells my featured store which has twice as many listings by a factor of 2 - 2.5.

Listing exposure is item specific and relates to sales history more than anything else. Even that is not conclusive, because any items I have which have a strong sales history also feature very highly in general google searches, so traffic would be driven by this " off ebay " more general internet exposure.

The only benefit I seem to gain from the featured store ( other than increased listing numbers ) is consistency. I sell the same amount every month, summer, winter, Christmas or lockdowns. Ebay seems to ensure that store gets its share of listing visibility and sales regardless of what I do ( or dont do )

And Sales.....pretty steady except for a two hour period last night when the throttle seemed to be stuck open. Result, My best day for many years and all in a two hour period......go figure that one.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

I just ran a traffic report comparing July 21 to July 20.  Page impressions up by 102% in that period year on year.  Granted I increased my listings due to the MP rollout and vastly improved API software on my side.  Item sales in July 21  up 90% in that month.  I do zero paid ebay promotions, offers or discounts etc

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

I suggest you ignore traffic reports... At times I have had items scheduled to be listed in the near future yet can show up to 7 views when the item isn't even live... Hellooooo who are they trying to kid

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

I had an absolutely cracking June and July. Best months I've had in a long time. I actually struggled keeping up with the packing and posting. I guess it depends on what buyers are searching for at the time. Some months some sellers do well and others don't. Other months, it's the reverse.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply