Australia Post Express Network

Does anyone have a link to the express network postcodes for Australia Post? As in a pdf.

They seem to have changed the website around and all I can find and use is the postage calculator. I have been using express post quite regularly and they are mostly late.....

I now plan on going back through a heap of tracking number from the last few months and checking what was delivered on time. Each express satchel is worth about $10 so it is well worth it to get replacements.

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: Australia Post Express Network

@cezm wrote:

I live in a major regional centre but I try to avoid buying from sellers who use couriers mainly because I buy online for convenience and therefore don't expect or necessarily want the fastest and cheapest - I have a PO Box and just don't want to be tracking down courier deliveries (I work away from home for 4 days per week).

Until a couple of years ago we lived 4km out of town with a different postcode. Each time I purchased I had to make sure the seller didn't use couriers. More often than not those that did were using Fastway because it was cheaper. Fastway advised sellers that they delivered to my postcode. Well, they delivered to my postcode but never made any attempt to deliver to me. Instead parcels were dropped at a post office 40ms away - so they ended up at a post office anyway. Problem was it was not the post office 4kms up the road which was in a different postcode - apparently they only deliver to a post office within the same postcode. I don't believe they should have been taking the sellers' (or rather my) money when they had no intention of delivering.

You do not like courier fine and you had some bad experiences with them I have multiple problems with Auspost weekly so should I be posting they are unreliable? I get parcels delivered a fair few times each week and so far I have had 0 problem AusPost whoever goes far from smooth.

There is not 1 service that suits everyone but just because couriers do not delivered to places 200+ks out does not mean they can can not deliver a parcel faster and cheaper than AusPost in a city. I yes I accept no matter what there are people who dislike couriers but for me unless there is a big change I will prefer them over AusPost because they provide me with a lot better service

Fastway I have not dealt with and no they should not taken money saying they would deliver to you and then not even attempt it but do not worry fi they do that regularly they want be in business long

Message 51 of 59
Latest reply

As a long time buyer, I really don't care if a seller chooses to use a courier or AP.....but I do care when they don't tell me which they use.  I now have a PO box as my address so if courier is used, I find out before the item is dispatched and can decide whether or not to proceed.  As Lyndal stated several posts above:

Shouldn't it be up to the buyer what service they want? They're the ones paying for it. Offer both. If a courier suits a buyer, they will select that option. If having their item delivered by AP into a parcel locker suits them, they'll choose that option. Everyone is happy then. Just make sure that if you do offer both that the courier option does say courier and not Australia Post Parcel with Tracking. Otherwise you could end up in the same situation as my seller that had to pay return delivery costs.

Message 52 of 59
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

@247newdeals wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

I live in Canberra.

I work from 8 until at least 5 weekdays and some time on Saturdays and Sundays.

There is no way any courier can deliver to me outside my working hours and ALL their depots are at least 20km from where I live.

My local PO is open 6-6 Mon-Fri and 8-12 weekends.

I do not consider I count as non-city, but you seem to.

I had some respect for you, but you have totally eroded it in this thread.

well your lucky you do not live by me because my local PO closes at 5 and does not open at weekends so you would not get any parcels ever unless you did something simple like leave a note to leave the parcel at a neighbours (or a safe spot which couriers will do to) either you work something out or do not get parcels. I manage to get parcel from couriers while I am out with no problem however I can not get them from AusPost as they often card and run even when I am in.

Do not threat about the respect thing I really am not one of these people who need others to justify them I do not use forums looking for respect

It was an observation not a threat. As your business model precludes me from buying from you, it will have no impact on any commercial dealings we will not have. What it does is make me less likely to take your statements of fact as such unless I can independently verify them.

Must be a language barrier (I am a pommy) By don't threat I meant 'don't worry about it' I never saw anything you said as a threat. That is good I hope you would not just take what I said as gospel that is never a good idea always good to check things out for yourself rather than just believing the hype 

Message 53 of 59
Latest reply

@247newdeals wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@247newdeals wrote:

Well I have read the boards here for the last 3 months, not a very long time but long enough to get a feel for it, and I have seen a lot more people unhappy with AusPost than couriers that to me does not make AusPost unreliable it just means they do not suit everybodys needs I actaually think for the volume the process they do a pretty good job but there are things I would love for them to change especially sneaking in sticking a card in my letter box and runnig away leaving me to have to go to the PO. 

the reason I say you do not like 2 couriers is because I have seen you post the following at least half a dozen times in the short amount of time I have been here:

Fastways and Couriers Please have doubtful reputations on ebay and in the industry in general.  

While sellers may like using couriers, many buyers will avoid those sellers like the plague....couriers are not liked by a lot of buyers for many reasons.

or words meaning the same if they are that bad why are there not loads of posts on these forums? there is a few and the ones I have read are mainly from people who are rural

You have been reading the boards for 3 months....I have been posting on the boards for 10 years.

The reason you see a lot more complaints about AP than about couriers is that AP is used by far more sellers than couriers are....and AP definitely carries a far larger volume of parcels.  Law of averages would tell you that there will be more complaints about AP.

As you say, I regularly post about the doubtful reputations of those couriers.  If you have only seen it about half a dozen times then you have missed many of my posts....and the many threads opened by members who have complaints about the companies or are just asking about reliable couriers in general.

If members who live in rural areas find couriers unsuitable for their needs does that mean that sellers should disregard all those potential buyers?   Many rural buyers rely on ebay as they do not have access to the sort of shopping that is available to us in the city and they will pay a premium to get the goods delivered to their home address....not to some depot 200km away.

I am sure you have posted about couriers a lot more than I have seen it you seem to get most posts about couriers.

Once again if a seller sends a package with a courier that will only deliver to their depo not got the extra 200km to get it to the buyers door this is the sellers fault for using the wrong service but as seller we have to try to keep the costs down so we will quote for what we can deliver to the majority of people for. If a seller had a premium courier as their main means of postage the costs would scare a lot of buyers away.

If I send a package to you and for whatever reason it does not get there I am responsible not whoever I sent it with. I get to make the choice who I use but at the end of the day if I get that wrong that is my fault no one else

No you (we) don't.

We need to provide buyers with a service that is convenient for them and not too expensive. They are the ones paying for the postage, not you.

if a seller quoted AP postage, the buyer would probably factor that cost, and the convenience into whether they bought.

As I have mentioned previously, a $1 saving in postage is not offset by having to spend $10 on car running costs and an hour of my time. Which means the $1 cheaper cost is not cheaper in real life, nor is it convenient.

Message 54 of 59
Latest reply

@ambercat16 wrote:

As a long time buyer, I really don't care if a seller chooses to use a courier or AP.....but I do care when they don't tell me which they use.  I now have a PO box as my address so if courier is used, I find out before the item is dispatched and can decide whether or not to proceed.  As Lyndal stated several posts above:

Shouldn't it be up to the buyer what service they want? They're the ones paying for it. Offer both. If a courier suits a buyer, they will select that option. If having their item delivered by AP into a parcel locker suits them, they'll choose that option. Everyone is happy then. Just make sure that if you do offer both that the courier option does say courier and not Australia Post Parcel with Tracking. Otherwise you could end up in the same situation as my seller that had to pay return delivery costs.

Offering both may be an option that would work, I would imagine, for a lot of sellers/buyers but I may of missed it I think most people I have ever bought off offer one or the other and I am sure there is a good reason for that.

If I do ever offer courier service (and there is a hell of a lot I want to check out before ever doing it) it would be my primary service and my pricing would be on a buyer using that service. If a buyer contacted me and requested a certain service and they was willing to pay what it costs that would be fine.

If/when I came across a buyer who has a PO box I would contact them giving the the options of either cancelling the sale, giving me an address or in my case I would more than likely offer to send by Auspost as long as they cover the extra fees but I do not agree the buyer has the right to ask and get this (that is up to the seller) A seller may not be able to get to the Post Office or even not want to.

As a seller we are 100% responsible to get items to the buyer but we have the right to use whatever means suits us yes I agree we should inform buyers what service we offer.I know I will lose some customers if I use a courier but I will make other a lot happier with quicker postage times and lower fees. I am not aiming to sell to everyone I just need a small amount of the market to do what I want.

Message 55 of 59
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

@247newdeals wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@247newdeals wrote:

Well I have read the boards here for the last 3 months, not a very long time but long enough to get a feel for it, and I have seen a lot more people unhappy with AusPost than couriers that to me does not make AusPost unreliable it just means they do not suit everybodys needs I actaually think for the volume the process they do a pretty good job but there are things I would love for them to change especially sneaking in sticking a card in my letter box and runnig away leaving me to have to go to the PO. 

the reason I say you do not like 2 couriers is because I have seen you post the following at least half a dozen times in the short amount of time I have been here:

Fastways and Couriers Please have doubtful reputations on ebay and in the industry in general.  

While sellers may like using couriers, many buyers will avoid those sellers like the plague....couriers are not liked by a lot of buyers for many reasons.

or words meaning the same if they are that bad why are there not loads of posts on these forums? there is a few and the ones I have read are mainly from people who are rural

You have been reading the boards for 3 months....I have been posting on the boards for 10 years.

The reason you see a lot more complaints about AP than about couriers is that AP is used by far more sellers than couriers are....and AP definitely carries a far larger volume of parcels.  Law of averages would tell you that there will be more complaints about AP.

As you say, I regularly post about the doubtful reputations of those couriers.  If you have only seen it about half a dozen times then you have missed many of my posts....and the many threads opened by members who have complaints about the companies or are just asking about reliable couriers in general.

If members who live in rural areas find couriers unsuitable for their needs does that mean that sellers should disregard all those potential buyers?   Many rural buyers rely on ebay as they do not have access to the sort of shopping that is available to us in the city and they will pay a premium to get the goods delivered to their home address....not to some depot 200km away.

I am sure you have posted about couriers a lot more than I have seen it you seem to get most posts about couriers.

Once again if a seller sends a package with a courier that will only deliver to their depo not got the extra 200km to get it to the buyers door this is the sellers fault for using the wrong service but as seller we have to try to keep the costs down so we will quote for what we can deliver to the majority of people for. If a seller had a premium courier as their main means of postage the costs would scare a lot of buyers away.

If I send a package to you and for whatever reason it does not get there I am responsible not whoever I sent it with. I get to make the choice who I use but at the end of the day if I get that wrong that is my fault no one else

No you (we) don't.

We need to provide buyers with a service that is convenient for them and not too expensive. They are the ones paying for the postage, not you.

if a seller quoted AP postage, the buyer would probably factor that cost, and the convenience into whether they bought.

As I have mentioned previously, a $1 saving in postage is not offset by having to spend $10 on car running costs and an hour of my time. Which means the $1 cheaper cost is not cheaper in real life, nor is it convenient.

wow serious? you do not think if the cost of the delivery service goes up the buyer has to pay more I have to charge $14.50 a sale atm which is way higher than it should be which makes my price higher than they would be if I find a cheaper service yes I wear some by taking a smaller amount of profit but the buyer wears most of the cost if I get delivery costs down customers who I have not scared away will benifit from that.

I have to pay extra to get parcels from AusPost not couriers so by your logic we should all get rid of AusPost of course not there is not a single system that suits every sale but for me, as it will be for other, couriers do a way better job that auspost. Couriers do not work for you fine we that makes no difference to me you have already made it clear you are not my target market. Maybe if I use a courier my target market will be people who can use couriers and like a fast service at a cheaper costs

Message 56 of 59
Latest reply

C'mon guys, is this really worth a couple of pages of mulberry bush bickering? Smiley Surprised

The back-and-forth blah and insults I'm not commenting on, for obvious reasons, but I thought it might be worthwhile to mention some general facts and observations before I make like Homer*....

In regards to having to be available to accept a delivery... A lot of couriers have this thing where the recipient can go online (and I presume if the purchase was made online, the recipient has access to the 'net) and request ATL (authority to leave), meaning the recipient doesn't have to be home to accept delivery, some allow you to provide very specific instructions as to where the package is left - that has its pros and cons, of course, biggest con being you then basically accept the package in whatever state it's in, plus liability for loss/damage (which is effectively no different to an AP parcel that doesn't require SOD, or if you give AP an ATL which you sometimes get the option to if it's an SOD package and the seller has allowed for that option), so the so-called inconvenience of couriers has some options to be resolved. 

I have stated on this board before (just a personal opinion) that not every business decision a seller makes can or has to be catering for the buyers; that's just downright impossible. I certainly don't exist to cater to every buyer whim, preference or even need. It is not up to my buyers at all when it comes to what I am or am not prepared to do or offer - like when I only provide the option for an SOD service, which many buyers definitely find inconvenient. Not to mention "don't give them a choice" has been given as advice many (many) times on this board before, completely uncontested (until now). 

Bottom line is, if a seller's business practices don't suit the buyer, tough luck for both buyer and seller, but if we - as other sellers - keep trying to convince one seller that they're somehow in the wrong for choosing something that suits them best, what message are we sending to buyers out there? (I feel the same way when I see people advise buyers to completely dismiss a seller's policies [when they happen to be perfectly legitimate, as in not breaching any eBay policies or consumer law] just because there's no official way for them to be enforced by PayPal or eBay). 

Spoiler
Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course and I forgot how to drive?

Message 57 of 59
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

In regards to having to be available to accept a delivery... A lot of couriers have this thing where the recipient can go online (and I presume if the purchase was made online, the recipient has access to the 'net) and request ATL (authority to leave), meaning the recipient doesn't have to be home to accept delivery, some allow you to provide very specific instructions as to where the package is left - that has its pros and cons, of course, biggest con being you then basically accept the package in whatever state it's in, plus liability for loss/damage (which is effectively no different to an AP parcel that doesn't require SOD, or if you give AP an ATL which you sometimes get the option to if it's an SOD package and the seller has allowed for that option), so the so-called inconvenience of couriers has some options to be resolved. 

That presupposes that the buyer actually knows that the item is coming by courier.

Much of this discussion has centred upon sellers who advertise Australia Post then take it upon themselves to use a courier.

I have had 2 different couriers leave cards when I have not been available....it is only on those cards that there is an option to lodge an ATL.  If it was readily available, or the seller indicated that the parcel could be safe dropped then it would be a great improvement to the present system.

I have had an ATL lodged with AP for 10 years now and it has worked perfectly, despite all the hoo haa on these boards that buyers should not be able to do that if the seller says no safe drop.

Message 58 of 59
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

That presupposes that the buyer actually knows that the item is coming by courier.

Much of this discussion has centred upon sellers who advertise Australia Post then take it upon themselves to use a courier.

Some of it has, a lot of it hasn't. Most of it has been newdeals having to justify their decision to use a courier with others consistently stating how or why they're not suitable for everyone, and I never saw newdeals say they didn't (or wouldn't) make it clear that a courier was being used, but rather an anecdote was used to exemplify how annoying couriers can be to some people, especially when their use hasn't been disclosed. (In that regard, I actually agree with others - the service used should be expressly stated by the seller so that the buyer can make an informed decision without having to message and ask). 

For what it's worth, the comment that sparked this discussion was made by someone else entirely proclaiming Sendle was 1/7th of the price of AP, and then someone else saying that cost savings aren't always the primary consideration when choosing a service, and then newdeals highlighting some circumstances where it can be, thus launching this entire thing. 

For what it's worth (again), I recently received a parcel via Sendle, which was chosen after AP quoted over $80 and Sendle just $24.75. A $1 difference might not be worth a little inconvenience (though I'm lucky enough to be working from home full time, in a metro area, so couriers pose little inconvenience to me personally), but a near $60 difference? I can guarantee you a lot of buyers will opt to suffer a little inconvenience for that. 

Message 59 of 59
Latest reply