Australia Post - have they lost the plot?

The latest increase in postage costs has prompted this post.

Australia Post is currently losing around $70m a year, largely apparently because of the costs incurred for delivering items which arrive from overseas (as a result of some sort of international postage treaty agreement and probably also as a result of various free trade agreements).

I actually don't have a real problem with any of this in theory  - but I DO have a big problem with the way it is implemented, especially as it seems that the latest round of price (and more importantly) policy adjustments (eg the apparent extension of cubing to items weighing under 500g) to DOMESTIC costs are driven to a large extent by the need to recover this loss.

If Government (or its utilities) agree to international treaties that should - and usually is - a cost born by government through general taxes. 

Except - apparently - postage. Here the Australian user pays not only for their own costs of postage but is also paying for the costs of imported items.

My view is that if there are treaties we have entered into that increase costs to AP then these need to be excluded from any domestic costings ... as these are intergovernmental agreements that's a government cost.

And if you want to get an idea of just how much Oz Post is straying from its core business go to their home page. What you'll see is a picture of Halong Bay (just over the border from China) and a promo for buying international money cards.

Silly me .. I thought Australia Post's prime business was the delivery of letters and parcels.

Message 1 of 60
Latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: Australia Post - have they lost the plot?

Over the years I've spoken to everyone from PO counter, postmasters and mangement about this, all agree but nothing has happended yet, do they think we will pay so much more for a 3kg, nope, I use a courier for up 2kg, full tracking, signature $11.64.

Click and Send = 3kg satchel with signature and tracking = $11.55

Message 51 of 60
Latest reply

kandad
Community Member

What about those like me not selling so much on eBay?.

Message 52 of 60
Latest reply

What about those like me not selling so much on eBay?.

Buy 5 satchels from AP - $1.75, 35c each.

So you get a 3kg satchel, full tracking and signature, for $11.90. And AP deliver to PO Boxes. I use C&S for all my non-letter postage. Wherever the sale occurs. I've never had buyers on other sites complain about getting cheaper postage just because the satchel has eBay written on it.

Message 53 of 60
Latest reply

ozsse
Community Member

Yes they have surely.

Feels like they regularly increase the fees 2 times a year and the postage is not realistic anymore.

And sellers have to regularly adjust their shipping rates accordingly.

90% of my goods now send through courier.

Auspost is not competitive anymore and they can raise the prices as much as they want but it also lose more parcel-sending customers.

Also the cubic rule in Auspost is out of date, a girth of 140 cm and max length of 105cm is simply insufficient they really should look into increasing these parameters by about 10%.

Message 54 of 60
Latest reply

They are increasing the girth. The max cubed size will be 0.25m3 so that leaves about 240cm if the length is 105cm.

Message 55 of 60
Latest reply

valdoe
Community Member

Looks like AusPost wants to get rid of its ebay sellers... 

Here is an example
I want to send a parcel (valued=$45.85) in a satchel that do not fit in a pre paid satchel 
From Brisbane QLD to Broome WA 
weighing 1.5kg 
the dimensions of 46x36x8 cm

By the new rate on the 8th April this will cost.
For interstate destinations 
standard charge = $11.45

+ cube weight = .46x.36x.08 x factor of 250 = 3.31kg rounded to 4 kg
Broome is in W2 postal area and the rate extra is $4.45/kg = $17.80

Total cost = $11.45 +$17.80 = $29.25 to send a item that only bought for $45.85

I have signed up with Temando Courier service and they can sent the same parcel for $14.38 WITH INSURANCE AND TRACKING with TNT couriers.

In one year we sent over a 1000 items through AustPost.. SORRY you lost us.

Message 56 of 60
Latest reply

Or you could use a B4 box with C&S. Roughly $17. With Paypal acceptable tracking. Plus the buyer doesn't need to be home when the item is delivered, as it will be carded if they're not.

It comes down to investigating the options. C&S is usually cheaper, or at least more convenient, for the BUYER (the one who is paying for postage).

But keep on ignoring it; it gives me an advantage.

Message 57 of 60
Latest reply

Maybe no response as the item won't fit into a B4 box 😉

Message 58 of 60
Latest reply

valdoe
Community Member

Davewil1964  you do not have an advantage.. because if you read my post and know your sizes What you suggestion is no good.

B4 BOX                               my article

Width 430mm = 43cm                 46cm

Depth 305mm = 30.5cm              36cm

Height 140mm = 14cm                  8cm

So please people stop telling me to use B4 or pre paid 5kg satchels.  I been trading for over a year... I know what is available 

Thanks thecatspis ...  you are CORRECT .... it DON'T Fit

Message 59 of 60
Latest reply

I just knew they were fairly big. There is no way I was going to try to find the size on AP's website...

Message 60 of 60
Latest reply