Australia Post sorting machine problems

aurellian
Community Member
60 REPLIES 60

saarzi
Community Member
Not sure where this journo gets the 20% of parcels being misdirected from, but Ive posted hundreds since late last year and not had one complaint of late delivery.

Id go with Ausposts comment in saying that its occasional issues only.
Message 2 of 61
Latest reply

Probably Chullora, or the one in Melbourne. They seem to have massive issues. Overall AP MIGHT be correct...

There are lies, damn lies and statistics - Benjamin Disraeli

Message 3 of 61
Latest reply

It is well known in the industry that the report is correct.

Both Sydney and Melbourne have the new whiz bang machines that cannot tell the difference between the From and To addresses.

There are thousands of parcels being misdirected every day.

Wherever that report came from I am inclined to believe it is quite correct.....it certainly mirrors what is being talked about by StarTrack couriers, although it is the AP machines that are acting up rather than the StarTrack machines which are smaller.

Message 4 of 61
Latest reply

@gtx305 wrote:
Not sure where this journo gets the 20% of parcels being misdirected from, but Ive posted hundreds since late last year and not had one complaint of late delivery.

Id go with Ausposts comment in saying that its occasional issues only.

Well the post processing in metro Melbourne is running one day behind for around 30% of my parcels - both bought and sold.

Message 5 of 61
Latest reply

Cats, that fits in with a comment that was made today at the StarTrack depot in Sydney......30,000 parcels were not even sent yesterday from Melbourne.

Message 6 of 61
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

It is well known in the industry that the report is correct.

Both Sydney and Melbourne have the new whiz bang machines that cannot tell the difference between the From and To addresses.

There are thousands of parcels being misdirected every day.

Wherever that report came from I am inclined to believe it is quite correct.....it certainly mirrors what is being talked about by StarTrack couriers, although it is the AP machines that are acting up rather than the StarTrack machines which are smaller.

So, are there any recommendations for address formatting so as to minimise the chances of this happening?  (Of course, it doesn't help that selling manager is still, after 8 months, printing addresses with the "from" address in a bigger  font than the "to" address).

Should I start writing the "from" address in a single line on the back?

Message 7 of 61
Latest reply

@mayger_and_mayger wrote:

So, are there any recommendations for address formatting so as to minimise the chances of this happening?  (Of course, it doesn't help that selling manager is still, after 8 months, printing addresses with the "from" address in a bigger  font than the "to" address).

Should I start writing the "from" address in a single line on the back?

I got a lecture from my PO about this the other day lol. I was writing the return address in small letters to the right and slightly lower than the delivery address. I was told the sorting machines read the first postcode they come across as the return address and the second as the destination so all return addresses should be written up the top. Not entirely sure if this is accurate but just passing on what I was told.

Message 8 of 61
Latest reply

Sounds like the post processing will now lag 4-5 days behind, once the stamps jump to $1. And we still get no mail on the weekend* a year after the UK (Royal Mail) says they will deliver on Sundays...

Aside from some parcels which can now be given a special Saturday sticker, for an extra cost, of course. Naturally, it only applies to Express Post no less, meaning $$$.

First world problems indeed, when will Australia grow out of the antiquated Monday to Friday routine? If we can have 24 hour McDonald's restaurants, even remaining open throughout Easter, surely the post office can afford to stay open for all of four hours on a Sunday. The fact they are only open until 1PM on a Saturday is already a joke in itself.
Message 9 of 61
Latest reply

hi  thats is going to be a bit hard ,when they are complaining there profits are way down due to peole not sending as many letters and they are going to put prices way up plus cut the days they are going to deliver , and you want them to pay overtime to staff on a sunday , I dont think so  but miracles do happen , my local postoffice has less staff there  now and have instaleed stupid do it yourself machines in them , coukd you imagine putting a parcel down those those shoots and not break whats inside the parcel,mmmm 

Message 10 of 61
Latest reply