Automatic payment for sold items would stop npb

What if payment was made automatically by Ebay/Paypal from buyers account once item was won/sold, this would then stop all the non paying bidders?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

You are able to set that for your listings if you wish. I'm sure it's in your preferences somewhere.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Immediate payment is in your preferences,  but it doesn't work for auctions

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Also immediate payment does not work too well for BIN items in a store.

As it forces the buyer to pay immdiately for each item.

If a buyer wants multiple items that means you get multiple transactions and each one costs you an extra 30-cents in paypal fees.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@thewishingmagic wrote:

What if payment was made automatically by Ebay/Paypal from buyers account once item was won/sold, this would then stop all the non paying bidders?

Not a feasible option for many buyers.

I buy multiple items from some sellers spread out over several days.  I would not be happy if ebay raided my funds every time and made me pay postage on every item.

Also, I have a range of accounts that are used to fund my payments....how is ebay going to know which account to use....credit card, debit card, bank account?   I never hold funds in my paypal account so that is not an option.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

what about pick up lines  mmmm most people pay on pick up ,and they have a right to inspect goods

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Probably a better option would be for  those buy it now items not to considered sold as such until the buyer paid.

That's how other sites such as Catch of the day operate.

You can put what you like in your basket but it isn't yours till paid for.

Sure, this would mean that if you went to buy something small today then again tomorrow from the same seller, you would not be getting a postage discount.

But if you bought multiple items from the same seller, there may be some facility to automatically change postage.

I do think this is probably the way ebay will go in the long run. If you want to buy it, you'll need to pay for it, with the exception of pick up items and auction.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

That is the way eBay is encouraging buyers to go. With the introduction of the cart. Sometimes, I cannot click on buy it now on a listing, but need to add the item to the cart.

Items there are not reserved until paid for. I actually hate that system right now, as I pay for things straight away with the very rare exception (if the system is down). With the cart, it is meant to bring all the discounts together, too, so the buyer can make "purchases" over time and get the shipping lowered. It can still be a bit buggy. Also, the risk is that items sell while you are still browsing with the seller over a few days. I would prefer to keep the options of a proper buy it now running until the cart is set up smoothly.

But the general idea of the cart seems to be what you are suggesting as the way to go forward, springyzone. Cart items over time, it adjusts for total discounts, then pay. Buyer risk if one waits too long, but no risk to the seller of non-payment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Q.  I am a new and inexperienced buyer.

I see a mobile phone on ebay which looks a wonderful bargain, there are only a few minutes left so I bid as I don't want to miss out.

On reflection I wonder if some of theings that were not immediately obvious to my untrained eye are a bit of a worry.

A1. Payment is automatic so all I can do is wait until it arrives and hope that I can get a refund.....eventually..., without the expense of having to return it which could, if it were from China, cost a fortune as I couldn't use AP.

A2. Payment is withn 4 days so I have time to put on my thinking cap, do a bit of research, ask friends, post on the boards and know for sure it is an out and out scam so I don't pay and don't lose my money.

In your world it would be answer 2 every time. Not a system I would like to be involved with, I would far rather spend the few seconds it takes to open and close a non payment dispute than cause anxiety to every person who was daft enough to buy from me on impulse.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

PJ said in response to magic wishing who wanted a system of instant payment:

Q.  I am a new and inexperienced buyer.

I see a mobile phone on ebay which looks a wonderful bargain, there are only a few minutes left so I bid as I don't want to miss out.

On reflection I wonder if some of theings that were not immediately obvious to my untrained eye are a bit of a worry.

A1. Payment is automatic so all I can do is wait until it arrives and hope that I can get a refund.....eventually..., without the expense of having to return it which could, if it were from China, cost a fortune as I couldn't use AP.

A2. Payment is withn 4 days so I have time to put on my thinking cap, do a bit of research, ask friends, post on the boards and know for sure it is an out and out scam so I don't pay and don't lose my money.

In your world it would be answer 2 every time. Not a system I would like to be involved with, I would far rather spend the few seconds it takes to open and close a non payment dispute than cause anxiety to every person who was daft enough to buy from me on impulse.

---------------------------------------

I'm a bit confused this morning, but wasn't magic wishing leaning more to Answer 1?

Personally, I am leaning towards answer 1, in that is someone makes an impulse buy without checking the listed details, then that's their problem.

Probably the only bit I don't agree with in A1 is that the buyer should automatically get any refund if the item isn't exactly what they want & without having to return the item. If it is as described, that should be the end of the matter. No refund.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for a fair resolution if an item is not as described or has faults not mentioned etc but otherwise, I think buyers, newbies or not, need to take on some personal responsibility for their decisions. 

If they're not sure, don't buy. 

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply