Basic store subscription doubling in September

Hi,

We have just read the changes that are coming in September 2012 regarding Basic Store Subscriptions (rising from $24.95 to $49.95)

Our sales on ebay have reduced so much over the last year or so that doubling our store subscription really isn't an option  (most of our sales come though our website).  My question is, if we close our store and take advantage of the 30 free listings per month, will we have to relist the stock we have in there now?  Or will it appear in our Unsold folder and we can just relist it from there?  Also, is there anything we'll miss out on by not having a store other than Good Till Cancelled listings?

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 143
Latest reply
142 REPLIES 142

Re: Basic store subscription doubling in September

I'm not happy about the store subscription fee doubling with such short notice but we will not be closing the stores. I worked out yesterday that it is still cheaper for us to list using the store format than without. The benefits of multiple quantity and variant listings and 30 day duration far outweigh the time I'd spend trying to list items on multiple IDs using the 30 free listings each month.

Message 41 of 143
Latest reply

highstreetmusic_oz
Community Member

Congratulations eBay! The ploy to incentivise (?) new sellers (such as me) to open a store a few months ago by temporarily reducing listing and subscription fees worked a treat. Now that we've created an attractive and competitve store and factored in all the running expenses, what do you do? Double the monthly subscription fee! Its tough enough selling products cheaper than the next guy, making listings pretty, packing and sending immediately, tracking and monitoring.

Ebay has become greedy. This latest move is bad for business and will drive away sellers, and without sellers ebay is nothing.

Message 42 of 143
Latest reply

cezm
Community Member

A sense of deja vu .... I set up a store in 2006 (ish) when I was incentivised by Ebay ... then they hiked the fees 2 months later ... and I closed up shop ... it's an age old strategy of Ebay ...

Message 43 of 143
Latest reply

All this angst for an extra $6.23 a week?....really?

This may go against the majority here, but I still think $49.95 is reasonable, in comparison to the running costs of a  B&M store.

If hobby sellers will find it unviable to sell in this format any longer than it is a shame that we will lose those weird and wonderful bargains that ebay was famous for in the early days,  but for medium volume sellers (myself included on another ID) I will just have to suck it up and carry on because alternatives just dont have that attraction at the moment, even free listings on other sites as there is just no traffic going through.

I think the social media widgets is a great marketing tool too, however dont get me wrong there are too many fees still being charged, perhaps they can do away with FVFs and IFs and just have a flat rate so we can see the cost to list an item straight up.

the more things change the more they stay the same
Message 44 of 143
Latest reply

I would definitely recommend giving quicksales a go, since they got purchased by carsales just over 12 months ago their site has improved in leaps and bounds.

According to their admin advertising has kicked off in some states with more to follow.

I gave up on eBay a while back when they effectively killed my business on here, I contacted quicksales support who were extremely helpful with assisting me to get on their site.

Even if you are not looking at leaving eBay entirely its a great venue to get your item seen by an entire new market place.

Message 45 of 143
Latest reply

this is yet another moving of the goal posts by ebay and is clearly intended to take it upmarket to bigger sellers of new items.

to the post that says oh it's only $6 whatever extra a week - it won't stop there. This is just one hike in a long line of hikes. When I first opened a store, it was $9.95 a month, and 10 cents to list each item.

Once the dust has settled and the small stores are gone, then ANY MONEY they'll can the 30 free listings, &/or charge for 10 days, &/or charge for pictures for non-store sellers, etc etc etc etc.

What bugs me is the way they claim that buyers are clammering for these changes - REALLY?  Ebay used to be where you could find that rare book that no-one else had. or that weird item that you wouldn't find in years of trawling garage sales. It used to be FUN. Not any more - as a buyer or as a small seller. *sniff*

Message 46 of 143
Latest reply

Hello everyone, we are not happy here either, i do however feel it is much cheaper on ebay than opening a b& m store, however our concern is in ebay always raising the cost regularly as well.  Our sales have been great better than ever, but i have to admit, i have noticed a slight decrease this month, so not sure how this will affect us yet. Wish everyone alot of luck

Message 47 of 143
Latest reply

I found a lot of sellers on ebay have been loosing sales since ebay in their wisdom decided it was a good idea to advertise outside sellers goods similar to yours on your page, yes that little link to outside web stores. Then you get a sale and they advertise someone else's listings at the top of your completed items. How does this help you to get repeat sales, they don't care as long as they are getting a few more advertising bucks. Is it fair we have to put up with other sellers  and advertisers links on our listing pages?? I think not!! all these little things contribute to lower sales. I was slowly building up my sales and was quite happy until the fee rise, I closed my store a few days ago. I now have to wait until my power seller status disappears but in the meantime open other accounts to qualify for free listings. The whole thing is rediculous. My online shopping patterns have changed over the last few months as often these little links ebay is allowed to smear all over our pages often sell cheaper goods but boy are we in trouble if we even metion we might think of going elsewhere which is advertising someone else, seems like a double standard. If you do you mention going elsewhere you get an email from them for what pupose I can only guess but I will leave you to ponder.

Message 48 of 143
Latest reply

I only starting selling on ebay in March this year. Things were going good & I opened a store about 2 months ago. I am now a Top Rated & Power Seller...Then this bombshell hits & I have cancelled my Store.  The price hike is shocking. I would have shaken my head a bit at $10 extra...but double!!!... very frustrating for the small seller / business. 😞

Message 49 of 143
Latest reply

yep - double whammy - eBay - translation.......

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 50 of 143
Latest reply