Being charged high advertising fees by eBay

buff_gus
Community Member

Screenshot_2023-12-26-17-43-45-835_com.ebay.mobile.jpgHello everyone, recently I started selling on eBay and discovered that eBay charged me a 12.6% advertising fee, even though I didn't select any promotions beforehand. Additionally, when factoring in eBay's final value fee, it totals to 30% of my selling price. I find these fees quite high and I'm hesitant about continuing to sell under these circumstances. It's disheartening to know that even if I cancel an order, eBay still imposes advertising fees. I haven't linked my bank card yet, and I'm considering just leaving eBay and accepting the potential account closure if it minimizes losses. I would greatly appreciate your advice. ๐Ÿ˜”

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

buff_gus
Community Member

It's a brand-new, unopened laptop I bought this Black Friday, but due to a change of heart, I'm selling it. However, the 30% fee eBay charges is significantly lower than what I paid for it. As an international student, while $145 in advertising fees may not seem much, it translates to five times more in my country. Hence, I'm forced to consider whether simply refusing shipment and accepting eBay's actions on my account might be the best option for me. ๐Ÿ˜ข

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

If youy have not completed Managed Payments you wont see the money at all.  When you listed did you bother to read what you were doing and wait for Ebay OK you  for selling.   selling?  I have no idea why you would not link bank account., 

Suggest you just quit now if you have no idea what you are doing or at least read up on Selling

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

eBay do not automatically sign sellers up for promotions. It is an in your face suggestion.  That is something you have done.

Your country is Australia, according to your registration.

If you haven't signed up for Managed Payments, as mentioned you will never see your money.

It's usually prudent to work out how a site works before dipping your toes in.

As you said, if you cancel, you won't get the promo fees (that you definitely signed up for) back. How the rest goes I have no idea. I signed up for MP and don't do promos.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

If it's a change of mind purchase and it's still unopened, why on earth didn't you just return it for a refund?

You've lost your fees no matter what you do now.

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

Obviously you had listed the item  with promotion % selected.

If you think you can just abandon your debt to ebay and just walk away, think again.  Apart from a bad debt record ebay will pursue the debt or on sell it to a bebt collector, either way the debt will be automatically increased.

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

Change of heart = chance for profit.

Which it could well have been if the OP knew how eBay works

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

One of the primary functions of a student is to do research,  in this case research into the fee's you will be charged and how a platform operates.

Don't annoy the buyer because you hadn't done your research.  The fee's sound reasonable for what you opted into.

Debt collectors are not fun to deal with in particular if you are an international student, and possibly hoping to extend your stay in our great country, so I wouldnt go down that path,  finalise the sale, and cough up the $'s.  Take it as a learning lesson.

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

I'm forced to consider whether simply refusing shipment and accepting eBay's actions on my account might be the best option for me. 

Yes, the fees are hefty, that's why it is in your interests to read up the terms and conditions carefully before you try to sell on ebay.

You can cancel the order.

But just be aware, you'll still be up for the ebay fees.

When a cancellation is due to a problem with an address or a buyer request, different. But in this case, it would be your decision, so the fees would still apply.

As I see it, you have 2 choices. You can keep the laptop, cancel the sale & pay the fees or you can honour the sale, send off the laptop and pay the fees.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

I would'nt want the debt collectors showing up on my doorstep

I hope you realise what kind of impact that would have on everything you attempt to do in the future

An eBay account closure would be the least of your problems

You still have the fees and you need to pay them

Otherwise, eBay can and will use what means they have to recover them from you

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply