Best day and time to end an auction?

84marg
Community Member

What has worked for people in the past? I tend to browse on the weekends at night. What about everyone else?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

about 7 .30 at night  most peole are home after work depending on the states so up to 8.30pm  week nights 

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

as a buyer, about 9pm for me after dinner is finished and chores out of the way
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Thank you!
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I try to have some finish every night. Some will say not to end on a Friday night, but I often have my best sales on a Friday night. Usually betweek 6pm and 10pm I have them finish. Weekends I'll have them finishing all day and well into the evening.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I am home all day so any time works for me although I prefer not to have then ending between 7pm and 9pm (Sydney time) as I a usually preparing tea/clearing up.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

This is slightly off topic, but related, I think.

I am always in a quandry about whether 5, 7 or 10 day auctions are better.

They all probably have advantages and disadvantages.

I think the shorter length auctions have the advantage that prospective buyers don't forget as easily about an item they are interested in and when it is due to finish.

The obvious advantage of a longer auction is that the longer exposure offers the opportunity for more prospective buyers to search and find your sale item.

I guess there's no easy answer to which option is more advantageous to sellers, but I would be interested to hear what experience has taught other ebayers.

I'm not sure what buyers' preferences would be.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I use 30 day BIN, or 10 day on my non-store accounts.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@bettyboopsadaisy wrote:

This is slightly off topic, but related, I think.

I am always in a quandry about whether 5, 7 or 10 day auctions are better.

They all probably have advantages and disadvantages.

I think the shorter length auctions have the advantage that prospective buyers don't forget as easily about an item they are interested in and when it is due to finish.

The obvious advantage of a longer auction is that the longer exposure offers the opportunity for more prospective buyers to search and find your sale item.

I guess there's no easy answer to which option is more advantageous to sellers, but I would be interested to hear what experience has taught other ebayers.

I'm not sure what buyers' preferences would be.

90 % of the watchers on my auctions lock on in the first 48 hours. The other 10% lock on over the next couple of days or in the last 12 hours as the listing rises close to the top of best match search rankings. With this in mind I prefer five day auctions. I find with ten day auctions people forget about the item, find another one the same or just lose interest. The ten day auctions lack "Zing" and rarely get the last minute  bidding duels that shorter auctions get.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

I list 7 day auctions. I thought about doing 10 days, but as a buyer myself, I don't like waiting forever for an auction to finish. I can only assume some other buyers would be the same.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply