Bizarre fees on managed payments

I'm getting some bizarre fees, perhaps someone can explain this. I've made two sales in one day to a same client (two transactions). Items were in same category. Ebay charged me 7.3% on one and 11.9% on the other. Am I missing something here or is Ebay screwing me over? Take a look below at the fee statements.
----------------------
Fees based on
AU $53.35
Final Value Fee
-AU $3.89
Variable percentage • Electronics category
Rate for AU $0.00 - AU $4,000.00
7.3%
Final Value Fee
-AU $0.30
-AU $0.30
Per order fixed amount
Total fees
-AU $4.19
GST (10%)
-AU $0.42
Total fees (includes GST)
-AU $4.61
---------------------

Fees based on
AU $66.35
Final Value Fee
-AU $7.90
Variable percentage • Electronics category
Rate for AU $0.00 - AU $4,000.00
11.9%
Final Value Fee
-AU $0.30
-AU $0.30
Per order fixed amount
Total fees
-AU $8.20
GST (10%)
-AU $0.82
Total fees (includes GST)
-AU $9.02
-------------------------

I've been warned that manage payments will attract higher fees but this? What the hell is variable percentage, they charge what they want without specifying how much or what. Looks like having a store is no longer worth it on MP.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

For a Basic storeholder, 7.3% is the FVF rate for items in Tier 1, and 11.9% is the FVF for items in Tier 4.

See here

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/ebay-stores-selling-fees-managed-payments...

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

eBay's fees have varied according to the category of the item for a long time - well before the introduction of managed payments. "Variable" here does not mean they're charging whatever, it means the fee varies according to the category the item is in. Those rates match the rates eBay provides for a tier 1 and a tier 4 category item, for a seller with a basic store that's GST-registered. 

Why not compare the costs to the same or similar item (in the same categories) that sold pre-managed payments - don't forget to add on the PayPal fees to the old eBay ones, then decide if the warnings about higher costs actually have any truth to them. 

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

Maybe you guys missed it but these were to books and listed in same category. SO explain that to me please. SAME CATEGORY both items were Electronic manuals

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

@retrowise wrote:

Maybe you guys missed it but these were to books and listed in same category. SO explain that to me please. SAME CATEGORY both items were Electronic manuals

Well then both should have been charged at 11.9% - I'm sure if you get in touch with eBay and explain their mistake to them, they'll be happy to charge you the rest on the one they only charged at 7.3%

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

Hmmm 11.9 sound high for a store

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

@bygoneworld wrote:

Hmmm 11.9 sound high for a store

Have you bothered to look at the link provided by joztamps above.

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@retrowise wrote:

Well then both should have been charged at 11.9% - I'm sure if you get in touch with eBay and explain their mistake to them, they'll be happy to charge you the rest on the one they only charged at 7.3%

I bet they won't be asking for a correction in that case.  Although looking at the other thread just started, they are leaving us.

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

If I should pay 12% with a store plus all my resources than ebay just might not be worth it anymore.  No wonder so many big sellers left after being signed up to MP.

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

Yes I did. Fee should have been the same.

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply