Bought items from different sellers in different locations but deliverd in same package!

I just received items bought from 2 different sellers located in separate parts of Australia but the items arrived in the same package!

I've long suspected that alot of the smaller and cheaper items sold on Ebay and claimed to be located in Australia are actually located overseas. Orders are prepped and consolidated on a weekly basis before being sent to Australia. Once here the consolidation is split and items delivered individually.

Of course they could be warehoused in Australia before being sent out however I don't understand why then it would take 10 to 14 days to be delivered (even if the items are located in the same city). Also packages aren't always stamped or franked and just have a piece of paper with the address sticky taped on.

While the logistics would be very tight it could explain how some sellers can sell (and post) so cheaply.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Bought items from different sellers in different locations but deliverd in same package!

It happens all the time with some of the items I buy. There's about a dozen or so stores, over all the various eBay sites (AU, US, UK, DE primarily), who all represent the same company and with different pricing or quantities available.

If I purchase from two or more of the stores at the same time, they always arrive in the same package. These sellers all have item location listed as in China, though. I get why that can cause issues, but I don't care if I receive one package or 6 - most of their stuff is free-post, so it makes no difference to the cost (to me).

I don't think it's a major factor in offering cheap post (combining several items to one buyer in a single package, I mean), to be honest, since it would have to bank on most customer buying more than one item and/or from more than one seller at the same time, and I know that one larger package can sometimes be more expensive than several smaller ones. 

Consolidating shipments to specific regions is not really a surprising practice, but rather a long-running one, i.e. before eBay even existed. 

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: Bought items from different sellers in different locations but deliverd in same package!

I have two stores with different location details. Occasionaly buyers purchase items from the two different stores at the the same time. I still combine postage for the customers as it saves them a few dollars in postage costs.

OK so it could all go pear shaped if I had some pedantic buyer, but I,ve never had any complaints. The buyers appreciate saving a few dollars on postage.

I,m not necassarily suggesting its a practice other sellers should follow, ( it could all go wrong ) but it works for me.

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply