Buye wants to post me stamps instead of paying postage!

Just had an interesting "offer" - buyer wants me to post an item, but does not want to pay "exorbitant" Aus Post fees. Instead, wants to send me "modern mint stamps" he "inherited" to use on the parcel.

Just wondering, does this contravene any ebay policies?

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

The stamps are probably stolen, you will have no tracking or proof of delivery.  eBay don't care how the goods are delivered as long as you have proof of sending and delivery and to save yourself from a return.

Sounds odd, if it was me, NO.

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

I'd be more concerned about counterfeit stamps. It seems a bit suss (to me) that they made note of them being mint stamps. I would refer to new stamps as new, not mint, but anyway me personally, I would decline the offer and block

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

Or stolen yes. I hadn't thought of that. No tracking also. Yep a big no from me

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

A mint stamp is a stamp that is in its original state,has never been used which is also what new stamps are referred as.

The buyer would have to send them to me and once I checked them out and determined that they were fine to use I would use them.

I get plenty of parcels delivered with stamps that are from the 70's and let me tell you the parcels are covered in them.

So if a buyer was wanting to send stamps so they didn't have to pay for postage then I'd be ok with that.

Ebay doesn't care how you post an item,just that you post it.

But the listing would have to have free postage so as to not get charged fees on postage.

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

Maybe tell them they have to be express posted so that you can comply with eBay's policies on shipping the item within your handling time, as otherwise eBay will issue you with late shipment strikes. 

Or, tell them the best way to avoid paying for postage costs is to purchase items that don't need postage. Smiley LOL

Seriously though, if you were willing to do it, and it's a parcel, you can get a free tracking sticker from the post office (I'd take a photo of the fully addressed package with the tracking label on it, to ensure you can provide proof of shipping to the buyer-supplied address), but you'd want to be 100% certain whatever stamps they send aren't going to raise any eyebrows at the PO. I've had buyers put clearly used stamps on return packages to me and it honestly really annoys me - one buyer just cut them off old envelopes, so kept the paper backing on them, and glued them on to the return package (and these were old stamps, a mix of 45c and others) - AP just put it in my PO box, no question, though. Smiley Surprised

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

@ninaharaka wrote:

Just had an interesting "offer" - buyer wants me to post an item, but does not want to pay "exorbitant" Aus Post fees. Instead, wants to send me "modern mint stamps" he "inherited" to use on the parcel.

Just wondering, does this contravene any ebay policies?

How much more are the exorbitant AP fees they would be paying as opposed to what they consider to be fair postage? Given they would be paying at least $1.10 to post them to you it would have to be significantly more to make it worthwhile.

If they haven't bought, block them. That sort of prepurchase question just about guarantees problems down the track.

The listing would have to be changed to pickup, which would be prudent as postage cost then wouldn't come into it.

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

Parcels with lots of stamps are more likely to stolen (just for the stamps) unless they're ultra boring modern stamps. He/she did say they were modern.

The use of the word exorbitant would ring alarm bells for me. If he's complaining about postage costs, what else is he going to complain about?
Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

Warning Warning Warning.  Alarm bells should be ringing.

While it is possible to buy Bulk stamps at discounted rates. They may or may not be legitimate.

If the stamps are not legit; It is you. the sender who is criminally liable.

I think the penalty is 7yrs max

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

As a stamp collector i have done this many times in the past, and when i post out parcels with my mint stamps on them i get the free tracking number as well.
Never heard of fake modern stamps so have no idea what some of the comments left mean. i have been a serious collector for over 50 years and never heard of any one printing fake stamps. Fake $50 notes - yes, but not stamps.
Lol, if you buy a DVD from me, it will come with 4 or 5 stamps on it. Stamps, unused from 1966 onwards can be used to post anything.

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply