Buyer abusing ebay money back policy

Hi, just wanted to see if there is anything I can do in this case. I have a buyer purchased 7 trading cards from me. One card is $1, three other cards are $60 each and, another three cards are $80 each. The buyer received the package and claim he only received the $1 card and only one of the $60 card. I pack and send all my orders myself and I take video of all my packing and shipping. I remembered the order, I am sure I sent all the cards and I double checked the video footage. I have packed all the cards in the same holder and sealed it within the same bag. So there is no way a card can be missing when there is no damage to the packaging. It would make more sense if he just claim the package may be lost and he did not receive the whole package.

The buyer first opened two cases against me claiming the missing cards, eventually ebay closed the case because tracking indicated item delivered. Then the buyer opened a return request. I tried to contact ebay but basically they kept saying ebay is only an online platform, they don't handle the actual package so they will not do anything. Ebay would not even consider the evidence I can provide, they simply repeat they are only the online platform so they don't do anything about it. Ebay said eventually they will go ahead and issue a refund from me to the buyer because the buyer claim item is not received. Is there still anything I can do? And is there a way I can prevent things like this from happening again? Now I became worried from selling on ebay, I did not know ebay have policies just to protect the buyers so much that they can just make a claim of things not received without any evidence and ebay would not consider any evidence sellers can provide, they would just force a refund to the buyer and the buyer would keep the items. I am very disappointed about this.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I presume they weren't all in one listing, if that's the case then to protect yourself if it's high value items then send them in separate parcels with separate tracking numbers.

It won't stop all scammers, but it'll make it more difficult for them.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

It all depends on the โ€œreasonโ€ the buyer used.

If the items were combined and paid for all together in one payment and the buyer used Item Not Received then you should win the case because tracking shows the item was delivered.

If, each card was paid for separately then you will have likely have a problem as you would need a tracking number for each card. (I think thatโ€™s how it works from memory, unless itโ€™s changed)

If the items were purchased under the one payment and the buyer has filed a dispute with โ€œmissing itemsโ€  then you would be made to refund the missing items.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

It seems you posted them all in one parcel and the buyer lost his claim about not receiving them because tracking showed as delivered. Then the buyer opened a return case.

Probably you may have been better to accept a return, even at your expense where you sent a postage label.

That way you may have received your cards back.

I say may, because the buyer could basically send any cards back and it would be hard to prove they scammed you.

But if ebay is now refunding on the basis of items not received, maybe contact chat and remind them you have the tracking record and that is why the claim was rejected first time. Are you sure it was not an item not as described claim the second time?

My only suggestion for the future would be to sell cards individually, maybe with postage cost included in the cost so you can label it free postage.

That way, when you sell, you could post each item individually. None of this bundling into one parcel.

By having 'free' postage, you'd save yourself from having buyers ask for combined postage, which in buyer speak always means-Can you post it cheaper?

Sending cards individually wouldn't necessarily stop a scammer but it might make it harder. It's easy for them to claim you made a mistake when a bundle of cards has been sent, harder if they are trying to open eg 6 different claims against you.

In the meantime, block that buyer from ever buying from you again. Sounds like a right scammer.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

As far as I know, you can't open a not described dispute after a not received dispute. I think you can change it if the item arrived while the dispute is still open, but once a dispute is closed, that's it.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

I didn't realise that. 

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

How is it possible to open a returns case for something you claimed you never received?

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

How is it possible to open a returns case for something you claimed you never received?

I was imagining a scenario like this:

Buyer doesn't receive item by due date and so opens not received claim.

In the meantime, before the case is closed, item arrives and so buyer closes case as resolved.

But a couple of days later, maybe the item breaks or the buyer realises something is wrong and then opens a 'not as described' claim.

I can see the sense though in ebay allowing it to be changed from one dispute to the other.

The main problem with the system as is (that I can imagine) is that for an item not received claim, a buyer would receive their money back.

Let's say the item arrived a couple of days later though and is faulty or the wrong colour or whatever. If there is no way the buyer can pay but open a new dispute, then probably the buyer would just shut up and leave things be, so the seller would have no way of being able to get their item back at least.

I'd say a lot of buyers would put it in the too hard basket.

PS I guess I also assumed it because of the OP.  KC said the buyer opened 2 cases for items missing but ebay closed in seller's favour as tracking showed item as delivered. I took that to mean an item not received claim. I was probably wrong, as it then said buyer then opened a return claim. So that sounded like 2 different claims, which is why I thought it must be possible. I've not made claims on ebay though so didn't really know.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I had this happen on my main account. Scammer opens an INAD Return case and states they never received it. No opportunity to upload tracking. No communication from the scammer. I contact eBay and they tell me to ride it out and that they have my back. I then spoke with Australia post who tells me the guy was actually home when it was delivered and accepted the delivery. This means absolutely nothing in regards to the case though apparently. Scammer wouldnโ€™t respond to any messages throughout the whole case.

I escalated the case after 4 days, because my sales had tanked due to this and another unwarranted case being opened and I just wanted it to be over quickly. eBay refunded the โ€œbuyerโ€ out of their own pocket and my funds were on hold for a month. Only just got my money released a few days ago. Blocked the scammer on both my accounts as soon as he opened the case. If he pulls this scam often enough, eBay will NARU his account. I hope they do.
But yeah, I am really annoyed he got refunded by playing the system, even if he was refunded out of eBayโ€™s pocket. The whole thing caused me a great deal of stress. Iโ€™ve had mostly pleasant experiences on eBay until the last few months where Iโ€™ve been targeted by a ring of scammers. Seems the bigger my store gets, the more people target me. 

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply