Buyer being forced to pay immediately on purchase even though I do NOT have this on my listings.

There appears to be a random glitch with my listings in which potential buyers are unable to use 'buy it now' on mutliples of my listings and then wait for a revised invoice with combined postage. I have had 2 people contact me over the last few days wanting to purchase goods but are being directed to make immediate payment on each individual item.

I do not have immedate payment selected on any of my listings. I do not have immediate payment selected in my selling preferences.

How do I resolve this? I have lost a good size sale last week because of this error, and in the past when it has happened have had to fiddle around with refunds for the excess postage which buyers were forced to pay in order to secure the goods.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Buyer being forced to pay immediately on purchase even though I do NOT have this on my listings.

Okay so I just sold 2 items for $22.00, but ebay forced the buyer to pay 2 lots of postage = $28.00.

I went immediately to Paypal and refunded the excess $14.00 to buyer was forced to pay because I was unable to send them a combined postage invoice. Would I be correct in assuming that even though I have returned the excess postage charge to the buyer, ebay still gets to keep that extra postage charge fvf they collect on the sale every time this happens?

I think I had better go through my sold items from the last year and work out how much $ I am out of pocket if this is the case.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Re: Buyer being forced to pay immediately on purchase even though I do NOT have this on my listings.

You have to call them to get back the fees when you refund excess postage. $2 worth of time for $1 worth of fees returned.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

I have had immediate payment forced on me against my will for over 12 months. If buyers add items to the cart, they can usually request a total. They can't do it via the app though.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

Hi terroxyboy!  I'm having this exact problem today, 5 years later!  I am a new seller, none of my listings have the  "Require immediate payment when buyer uses Buy It Now" box checked, and yet the buyers are being forced to pay at checkout.

I was wondering if there was a resolution for this I am missing?

Many thanks!

ebay noob

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

@desktopshop_aus wrote:

Hi terroxyboy!  I'm having this exact problem today, 5 years later!  I am a new seller, none of my listings have the  "Require immediate payment when buyer uses Buy It Now" box checked, and yet the buyers are being forced to pay at checkout.

I was wondering if there was a resolution for this I am missing?

Many thanks!

ebay noob

Terroxy hasn't visited the forums for nearly 3 years, so unlikely to reply. Ebay decided years ago to force some sellers into immediate payment, despite having the box unticked in your settings for immediate payment. I am one of those sellers. You can have the box unticked in the settings, and double check in your listings, but when a buyer buys a buy it now, or wins an auction, they have to pay immediately, or they haven't purchased the item.

Sadly, there is zero you can do about it. Just refund the excess postage, minus fees, after the buyer pays.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply