Buyer changed his mind after receiving the item and asked for refund.

I sold an item for $99. It arrived today and buyer cliamed that he "did not open the package" but decided he does not want it anymore and wants to return it.

I have not replied because is he supposed to pay for both postage because item is not faulty? Although he might be lying and somehow damaged the iyem already.

So I will ask him to file a return and return the item at his own cost (I will not buy a return label for him). Then when it arrives back at my place. And if he indeed did not open the package and if the item is the same one I sent, I will refund him the amount minus sending postage.

Am I correct?  Thank you.

Will I receive a final value fee credit if I follow the procedure above?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer changed his mind after receiving the item and asked for refund.

Yes, that would be the correct course of action.

Explain that you don't normally offer a return in these circumstances but wiil refund less postage on return of item.

That is if you don't offer a change of mind return.

Then refund less initial postage doing a cancellation so you get the eBay fees back.

Used to be able to do a part refund on cancellation but I haven't done one for many years so it may have changed.

Someone will probably enlighten us shortly. Smiley Happy

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Yes, that would be the correct course of action.

Explain that you don't normally offer a return in these circumstances but wiil refund less postage on return of item.

That is if you don't offer a change of mind return.

Then refund less initial postage doing a cancellation so you get the eBay fees back.

Used to be able to do a part refund on cancellation but I haven't done one for many years so it may have changed.

Someone will probably enlighten us shortly. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Thank you. I borrowed your wording and changed slightly, and instructed the buyer to initiate a return. He chose the option "I changed my mind".

Apparently if a buyer choose "I changed my mind" as the reason for returns, the system automatically makes buyer responsible for the return and it didn't even ask me for buying him a return label.

He agreed with partial refund and I will make sure to remember doing that when the item comes back.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Sounds good. 

Buyer choosing change of mind also means you won't get a defect.

image host
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

@ameha_58 wrote:

Yes sometimes fake buyers changed his mind after ordering something, here also one time, a buyer order our website for logo designing in their new startup business but when I design a cheap logo for their website they cancelled his order.  

So they wanted to return it to you unopened?

or are you simply trying a sneaky advertisement?

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply