Buyer gets nod to return obviously damaged item

I sold a pesticide Dust Blower in mid-December with a "no returns accepted" condition. I'd bought it new myself (on eBay from another seller who has sold hundreds of them and is still selling them) and used it a few times. I had no further use for it, so listed it on eBay.

A few days ago the buyer asked for a return, giving a garbled reason that it "does not work as well as the other blowers I'd sold to him". But I've never sold anything else to him.

I went to dispute the return request, clicked to send a comment, then decided to re-read what he'd said and pressed  the browser's Back button. The eBay system immediately went to the "You have agreed to a return" panel! What the hell? I called eBay and complained, but they said they could not do anything. The only thing I can think may have caused this glitch is the uBlock browser add-on I am using, but whatever the reason, eBay was very inflexible about it and even though I called them IMMEDIATELY this happened, they refused to reverse it. But the agent reassured me that when the case was reviewed, the fact that the Buyer had lied about me selling him other items would decide the case in my favour. He then wrote to the buyer asking for proof that I had sold other items to him (I was copied on the email).

The buyer never responded to that message.

Instead, he uploaded pictures of the item that showed he had severely damaged the item. I responded in the case with my own image (attached), showing the item as it was sold and comparing to his photo, clearly showing the damage.

Blower 

I called eBay again and they agreed with me that it looked fraudulent, and that I should not be concerned.

Then today I got an email from eBay that states

We reviewed this case and decided to ask the buyer to return the item to you. Once tracking information confirms that the item has been delivered to you, the buyer will be issued a refund. The refund includes the purchase price plus original postage. This amount will be debited from the payment method on your eBay account

I called eBay and the agent stated that this decision was made by a robot, and that I need to wait for the item to arrive back, then issue a refund, and then appeal the case. At that stage a HUMAN will get involved and decide the case in my favour, if my photos show the damage.

Does this not seem to be a tortuously roundabout way of deciding an issue, when the damage is clearly visible?

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Buyer gets nod to return obviously damaged item

I can just only hope they were not budgie eggs Smiley Sad  (not joking)  

Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

Something I never thought I'd ever say, enigmabear, is that the Budgerigar egg is quite edible with its taste being described as “nutty” and “very sweet”.

Budgerigar Breeders Club Inc. : How Many Budgie Eggs ?

Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

That first positive you quoted where you said the buyer was being merciful, it looks like it was actually the buyer who made the mistake. They said it should have been ant advion but the item they left feedback for was cockroach bait so they bought the wrong item.
Message 23 of 29
Latest reply

Ah, you're right! That is then a "We the buyer erred" green dot.

(Don't mention cockroach eggs.)

Message 24 of 29
Latest reply

Well, the outcome is that this character has wisely decided not to pursue the return, even though eBay had given him a shipping label. He had until today to send it back, but since I'd pointed out to him that if he sent back a damaged item I'd be appealling and asking eBay to investigate, he blinked. With his "feedback left for others" showing a very disturbing pattern of manipulation, he obviously decided not to chance it.

A few minutes ago eBay sent me this message

Spoiler
This request was automatically closed because there hasn't been any recent activity on it. You don't need to do anything else. The hold on this PayPal transaction has been removed

Let's hope this is the end of it.

Be careful out there, fellow eBayers Smiley Frustrated

Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

He's BAAAAAAACK!

Now he's got PayPal to raise a case on this issue, claiming the item I sold him was not new and not genuine ("its not a new/genuine product"). It seems he is allowed to do this, even though the listing clearly states Condition: Used

As far as "not genuine", the item was originally sold to me by another veteran seller who has sold many of them over the years, so it's defintely not a fake. You can still see it from sale from the guy who sold it to me here: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254021188469

And the item worked perfectly for me when I had it.

I'm starting to think that those of you who suggested that he is using an old, similar item to leverage a refund may be correct. The photos do not look like the same item.

He seems to be asking PayPal to refund him without him having to send the item back to me, so that, in his words "this seller does not do this to the next person who may not be a business and be ignorant and allow this seller to continue selling this item". He is hinting that I should not be allowed to "continue selling this item", suggesting that he should not have to return it to me.

This would allow him to avoid me raising an appeal when I receive an old, damaged product by return. It's unbelievable!

Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

PayPal requires return of the item before a refund can be issued - if by some chance they do refund without requiring the item to be returned, it would most likely be a discretionary refund where they pay it rather than take it from you. 

At this stage I would just provide as much evidence as possible that the buyer is seeking to return a completely different item. If PayPal find in favour of the buyer, still, they will have to return it at their own expense - if they do that, document everything if / when the package they send arrives (you may also need to provide a stat dec). 

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

It's over. PayPal closed the case in my favor after I sent a long email explaining exactly what happened.

Wow. This has been a very unpleasant experience.

Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

I can imagine it has been wearying, but that's great news, well done on the outcome 🙂 

Message 29 of 29
Latest reply