Buyer has paid for item but wants it sent to a different address

chezzy
Community Member

Item was purchased as buy-it-now with immediate paypal payment requirement

Which option below is going to cause the least amount of dramas?

1) ask buyer to cancel transaction > I then refund payment > I then relist item > ask buyer to purchase again ensuring they change the address during checkout to the one they want (re paypal seller protection)

2) as above but with me the seller issuing the cancellation request

3) I log into paypal and select refund (do refund) and then get buyer to go through purchase again (can I even do this instead of cancel transaction etc....)

Just not sure which is the best option

Thanks!

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Personally I do a refund and ask buyer to go through checkout again changing the delivery address.

But I don't have immediate payment activated so don't know if it makes a difference.

image host
Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Personally I do a refund and ask buyer to go through checkout again changing the delivery address.

But I don't have immediate payment activated so don't know if it makes a difference.

If I don't go through the 'cancel' process will I get a defect? If item is refunded and then I relist (so buyer can repurchase it with the correct address)  won't I still be charged the fees (ebay and paypal) on the original transaction as well?

If I DO go through the cancel process, how long does that and the refund take before I can relist item?

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

I would email the buyer and ask them if they would like me to refund them so they can pay again after changing the address in checkout or you can just send to the original address. That makes it their choice and should they try and complain for any reason afterwards you have their emails to show ebay as evidence.

If they want to cancel then choose that option and as long as you have their email saying that is what they want you should not get a defect.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Cancelling the transaction (using "there's a problem with the buyer's address") is the best way if you want the buyer to go through checkout again. That automatically issues a refund, and doesn't result in a defect.

I get this from time to time, I don't really like it (and have been known to mildly scold people when they ask Smiley Embarassed ), but I usually just send to the new address because it's typically on items being sent as large letters. If it was a higher value order being sent registered / tracked, I'd do the above (cancel and have them purchase / pay again). 

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

Thanks PJ and DG

I am leaning towards direct refund from paypal (for simplicity/speed) but can see the benefits of following the correct cancel process

Have messaged the buyer outlining the situation and will be guided by their response/wishes

I just didn't want to get caught up in drawn out processes, potential defects and extra fees

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

Issuing a full refund from PayPal without doing a cancellation on eBay sometimes results in a defect (for out of stock). The cancellation process is actually the easiest or safest way, well I've found it to be, anyway - the refund is issued as soon as you submit it (eBay instruct PP to reverse the payment), and you can ask the buyer to confirm they received a refund (if they are asked to) to expedite the FVF credit and finalise the orignal sale so that they can pay again. (This method should never result in a defect when "there's a problem with the buyer's address" is selected). 

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Can anyone help me please. I started the cancel process and got to the refund part but now paypal won't allow me to process the refund. It says:

"Money can't be automatically transferred to cover this refund at this time. Please add money manually , or use another payment method."

The thing is I have ample funds in my paypal balance so why won't it take it from there? Why is it making me go through the process of linking a bank account etc. This will take 4-5 business days to confirm apparently and seems unnecessary seeing as I have the funds in paypal??

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Sorry chezzy, I haven't encountered that before. If you haven't submitted the cancellation request and therefore initiated the transfer, I'd probably now wait for a reply from the buyer (that way, if you issue a refund from PayPal instead, you will have a buyer message confirming the cancellation and if it results in a defect you should be able to convince eBay to remove it).

If the transfer has been initiated, you may find that it's still processed immediately from available funds and the warning is just appearing in case PP needed to take it from a back-up funding source. (I would think-hope so, anyway). 

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

I have started the cancel process (selected issue with the buyer's address), they will notify buyer who has up to 10 days to confirm. Next step was to refund: I received an email immediately from ebay "There was a problem sending a refund"...that I am to log in to paypal and send  a refund to the buyer by 11 May, 2016. ........order cancellation won't be complete until the buyer receives the refund.

I have tried several times to issue the refund but same message comes up:

Money can't be automatically transferred to cover this refund at this time. Please add money manually , or use another payment method.

There is no option for me to take the funds from my paypal balance, which is sufficient to cover this refund. Unless anyone knows how to get around it I might have to call paypal in the morning.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply