Buyer is requesting a Paypal invoice

Ive recently sold a collectable, the winner of the auction ( who is from the US ) is claiming they cant transfer the funds from thier Paypal account as the amount is much larger than what they've ever transfered before and paypal has 'red flagged' it from going through.

So, the buyer is asking for an invoice directly through Paypal.

Is this allowable? or is the situation a bit suspect ?

The buyer seems legit, he has over 500 transactions and 100% positive feedback but im thinking i'll refuse to send a straight paypal invoice and insist he pay through ebay checkout.

Thanks in advance 🙂

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

After talking to both ebay and paypal neither were able to answer why the buyer wasnt able to pay through ebay check out. Both suggested sending an invoice directly through paypal (ebay said i was allowed to create and send an invoice directly through paypal ) This worked and the buyer paid immediatly.

Thank you to everyone who answered my noooob questions over the past weeks. It was a great help getting tips from experienced sellers. Most answers i was able to fiind searching older posts but i still had a few questions to aks. These boards contain a wealth of knowledge, kudos all round.

thanks again 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

If it's the 11,000 star wars figure, I would be calling Paypal to ask.

I seem to remember items up to 10,000 are covered, not sure of limit.

You can send a funds request in PayPal making sure you make reference to the eBay item number.

But I think the same problem will occur.

And when sending I would also be taking out insurance with signed for registered mail.

image host
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I wondered where it was going.

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Posting-expensive-collectable-to-USA-or-UK/m-p/2022645#U2022...

Hope they know about Customs charges.....they might not want to pick it up

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

This could be a first, i may be such a genius I've solved my own question,

Maybe ebay wont let the buyer transfer the money because an 11k sale is higher than my 7.5k monthly selling limit?

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

@starwars_nerd wrote:

This could be a first, i may be such a genius I've solved my own question,

Maybe ebay wont let the buyer transfer the money because an 11k sale is higher than my 7.5k monthly selling limit?

More likely to be a Paypal problem since eBay and Paypal are now separate companies.

As Kopes suggested, it might pay to ring Paypal and see if they can shed any light on the problem - and also query the possible $10,000 limit on protection (I had a look and couldn't find anything about the limit).

I take it you know if the deal goes ahead the funds may be frozen for 21 days or until you can prove delivery, the item should however be sent when the money has been paid by the buyer.

Hope it all goes well for you.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

That's definitely a possibility.

image host
Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Uh Oh,  I see tears   -  both seller and buyer      Image result for smiley crying animated

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

You'd have to hope a phone call to eBay would see them let the sale go through - for purely altruistic reasons of course Stalks.......

Spoiler
"removes tongue from cheek................"

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

i would have thought the sale wouldn't have gone through if that was the case. Or eBay would have frozen the bids at $7,500

I can only dream about selling something worth that much, so I'm only peeing in the wind guessing.

But I agree, if Paypal won't let the buyer pay through eBay they are unlikely to let the buyer pay. Full stop.

I would certainly be talking to Paypal.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

After talking to both ebay and paypal neither were able to answer why the buyer wasnt able to pay through ebay check out. Both suggested sending an invoice directly through paypal (ebay said i was allowed to create and send an invoice directly through paypal ) This worked and the buyer paid immediatly.

Thank you to everyone who answered my noooob questions over the past weeks. It was a great help getting tips from experienced sellers. Most answers i was able to fiind searching older posts but i still had a few questions to aks. These boards contain a wealth of knowledge, kudos all round.

thanks again 🙂

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply